Celebrity vs MSC Yacht Club many questions?

Zoey1

We have cruised many times on many lines, most recently we have been sailing mostly with Celebrity. We are looking to do the Caribbean in 2016. I have been hearing some buzz about MSC's yacht club and was lucky (I think ;) to snag one of the Royal Suite's on the Divina.

The website shows the square footage to be less than the brochure. We have sailed on Celebrity's Celebrity Suite/Royal Suite/Signature Suites, do you think they are comparable?

How is the Yacht Club's dining room, would you still find the need to go to the specialty restaurants? The MDR on Celebrity we find to be fair at best, when they opened up Luminae they were still using the MDR menu the week we were on it (sailing in October so will get to experience that and have a comparsion)

How is the entertainment ? Do you think based on our previous cruising history (Princess, RCCL,HAL,OCeania,Celebrity) that we will be happy with MSC's Yacht Club? Any and all information and thoughts would be most appreciated.

Wendy

Been on Celebrity , rccl And YC three times but not the royal suite, service hands down better than celebrity.The YC dining room is very nice but the Galaxy dining is an experience, Enetertainment is good. It there is no comedy shows.

Hi there - we've sailed in both Divina YC Royal Suite and Celebrity RS and the cabin experience is not remotely comparable. Celebrity clobbers MSC by a country mile in cabin amenities and comfort. Divina's Royal suite (YC 3, I think) is very small (by comparison), quite dark, uncomfortable sitting room furniture, (brilliant bed) and the bathroom is cramped. Apparently their new ships will remedy this. Having said that, We loved Divina. She's a stunning ship, and we found her YC resto spectacular, and ate most meals there. We sidelined into the Eataly pizza a couple of times, lol, but even the buffet was quite good. YC bar and pool area were lovely and service was fantastic, though we were told the passenger load in YC was way down when we were there last November. A niggle is that booze is only included in the YC specific areas., but overall a better bang for your buck than most top suites on other lines... other than the cabin.

Can't comment on the entertainment as we didn't bother.

- Lisa

I found a video from 16008 onboard MSC Divina's sister ship MSC Splendida. The only difference will be the interior finishes but it gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

[YOUTUBE]ngM5esNtv7k[/YOUTUBE]

I found a video from 16008 onboard MSC Divina's sister ship MSC Splendida. The only difference will be the interior finishes but it gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

[YOUTUBE]ngM5esNtv7k[/YOUTUBE]

Mike,

Thank you so much!

This sounds like a great thread for you Bea!!!!

I'll be following with great interest, Mike :D

I was invited for lunch and a tour of the Silhouette recently. I didn't think too much of the ship :( It seemed old and dated. I discovered she's only 4 years old - I'm sailing on the Millennium; she's 14 years in operation as a Celebrity ship :eek: If I hadn't paid for flights I would have cancelled the booking with X. There aren't even any alternative cruises in the area that would work with my flight times. I guess I'll just have to go with an open mind!

We have cruised many times on many lines, most recently we have been sailing mostly with Celebrity. We are looking to do the Caribbean in 2016. I have been hearing some buzz about MSC's yacht club and was lucky (I think ;) to snag one of the Royal Suite's on the Divina.

The website shows the square footage to be less than the brochure. We have sailed on Celebrity's Celebrity Suite/Royal Suite/Signature Suites, do you think they are comparable?

How is the Yacht Club's dining room, would you still find the need to go to the specialty restaurants? The MDR on Celebrity we find to be fair at best, when they opened up Luminae they were still using the MDR menu the week we were on it (sailing in October so will get to experience that and have a comparsion)

How is the entertainment ? Do you think based on our previous cruising history (Princess, RCCL,HAL,OCeania,Celebrity) that we will be happy with MSC's Yacht Club? Any and all information and thoughts would be most appreciated.

Wendy

I only cruise in regular balcony cabin on MSC and on X . I don't really care for Celebrity . It was most boring cruise line ever :eek: Had no problem with food on both lines . Entertainment is way way better on MSC. I really could not understand why Celebrity consider upscale Cruise line :confused:

Wendy

Both my brochure and the MSC UK web site, along with information I have from another source give, the square footage as ;- Suite 36 sq.m (387 sq ft); balcony 16 sq. m. ( 172sq ft)

Edited by Skier52

Celebrity use to be our #1 choice but it all changed when when sailed on the Divina and took advantage of the YC. For my Celebrity friends, I did a comparison of the two line in the attached post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2195596&highlight=parallax.

Thank you for the link and wonderful review, I am copying and pasting it for DH as I know he has some reservations about MSC. We are holding a Royal Suite but I believe that is smaller than the Celebrity suite.

Sorry I meant, do people commonly tip each use or at the end of the voyage?

On my last YC cruise, I tipped the butler, maitreD, sommelier, waiter and concierge at the end of the cruise - the 3 dining room staff on the last night and the other 2 on the morning of disembarkation. I brought Thank You cards and put the tips in the envelope with the cards. I would normally only tip the waiter and steward/butler but on that trip the crew were incredible!!! We knew some of them from previous cruises - I'd never experienced the service we got on that trip.

On my last YC cruise, I tipped the butler, maitreD, sommelier, waiter and concierge at the end of the cruise - the 3 dining room staff on the last night and the other 2 on the morning of disembarkation. I brought Thank You cards and put the tips in the envelope with the cards. I would normally only tip the waiter and steward/butler but on that trip the crew were incredible!!! We knew some of them from previous cruises - I'd never experienced the service we got on that trip.

Thank you Bea, Op I apologize for hijacking your thread, I meant to post in my own thread and by the time I realized what I had done it was too late

Thank you Bea, Op I apologize for hijacking your thread, I meant to post in my own thread and by the time I realized what I had done it was too late

You're welcome, JB :)

In line with the OP - keep in mind that MSC, unlike X, has the same Hotel Charge (gratuity) rate regardless of type of cabin. In other words, it's €8.50pppd whether you are in an Inside Bella or YC Royal Suite!

You're welcome, JB :)

In line with the OP - keep in mind that MSC, unlike X, has the same Hotel Charge (gratuity) rate regardless of type of cabin. In other words, it's €8.50pppd whether you are in an Inside Bella or YC Royal Suite!

Do they offer the option to prepay gratuities like Celebrity?

Do they offer the option to prepay gratuities like Celebrity?

Yes Zoey1,,,you can pre-pay gratuities and you will also save the 15% gratuity if you pre-book or pre-purchase spa, drink, etc. packages on-line or through your travel agent.:)

Edited by Mikesa1721