Thrifty Car rental FLL and Port Everglades

miller31

I am tempted to rent a van for my family at FLL to use for the day before our cruise. I would use it to pick up another family arriving later in the evening. (Our hotel does not offer a shuttle). The morning of the cruise I was thinking I could drop most of our group of 8 at cruise terminal, have them wait while I go back to hotel to get the last couple, return car to Thrifty closest to port, and take free Thrifty shuttle to the cruise terminal. It is cheaper than paying for cabs for all of this activity. Any thoughts or experience with Thrifty at the Port?

You are avoiding 4 cab rides (2xFLL to hotel & 2xhotel to PE) at $10-15+ per cab by renting a van and having to make two trips from the airport as well as a trip to the port, pick-up at the hotel, stop for gas, and finally shuttle to the port. Not sure you are saving much $$ and it sounds like more hassle than it is worth IMHO.

Your call. :)

Agree with you, John - a lot of hassle to save a few dollars (if you do, that is).

It's actually not as quick as you may think to just pop into Port Everglades; there is a security (passport) check, and sometimes the line can be long. I, personally, would rather keep the family together if possible, and yes that means using several cabs but get a taxi van x 2 and it is still the same rate (metered, about $13 - $15).

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Yes, too much work and hassle just to avoid a couple cab rides. However, if you do actually have a use for it that day prior to the cruise, then go for it. I almost always rent for our pre-cruise stays as well, just so I have easy flexibility to go do stuff.