Want to arrange for a special surprise onboard

Help me put a mooshy sappy romantic plan into motion??

My wife and I are sailing the Star, northern European, in August. It's a special vacation for us, because we will be celebrating our 25th anniversary.

I would terribly like to arrange for a special surprise for the occasion. On the day of our anniversary, maybe at drinks or over dinner, I would like to ask her to marry me again. Assuming she says yes :) (pretty likely, I think; I've asked a few times already over the years), it would be infinitely cool if the captain could suddenly appear on the scene and preside over a quick rededication ceremony. I mean, captains can perform weddings at sea, right?

Does anyone have any idea how one would go about even making such a request? The NCL web site doesn't even seem to have a general Customer Service number or email address. It's all very specific "to make a reservation", "lost and found", "special needs"... I suppose once we get on board I could just go to the front desk and tell them the story, but I don't know if they are equipped to "get a message to the captain".

Ideas, anyone, of how I could get this into motion before we set sail?

Assuming your wife enjoys sappy moments, your idea is a winner. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to pull it off.

May I suggest you book a specialty restaurant the night of your anniversary & have a sparkling, shiny gift in your pocket?

"I mean, captains can perform weddings at sea, right?"

Sorry, that's a myth. :-( But I hope you come up with something special and romantic. phoenix1181 has a nice idea. Or maybe present the sparkling, shiny gift while strolling on the deck at night?

"I mean, captains can perform weddings at sea, right?"

Sorry, that's a myth. :-( But I hope you come up with something special and romantic. phoenix1181 has a nice idea. Or maybe present the sparkling, shiny gift while strolling on the deck at night?

Before you make a statement like that, you may want to read the first bullet point on Page 7 of NCL's Wedding @ Sea guide:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Wedding-eBrochure_033115.pdf

It is only $500 for a renewal ceremony. I say go for it. Here is the link of what you get: http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Vow-Renewal-Flyer_052715.pdf

Please do her the courtesy of ensuring she is appropriately dressed. I was proposed to at a surprise party where 8 family members from afar joined us. I was wearing a mens shirt and a bucket hat. I really had no idea.

Please do her the courtesy of ensuring she is appropriately dressed. I was proposed to at a surprise party where 8 family members from afar joined us. I was wearing a mens shirt and a bucket hat. I really had no idea.

Oh how embarrasing! At least you have a great story to tell future generations! :D

That's interesting, SeaShark, thank you. I was not aware of that.

If one Googles the topic in general, LOTS of info comes up. Quoting from the site mentalfloss.com: "At one point, the United States Navy explicitly stated, 'The commanding officer shall not perform a marriage ceremony on board his ship or aircraft.' What about non-Navy captains, though? Well that depends on the captain. They can't perform marriages at sea (or on dry land) by virtue of their maritime license alone, and no state has enacted a statute explicitly authorizing ships' captains to officiate marriages. [Their bold print, not mine.] However, if a captain also falls into one of the categories of "persons qualified to solemnize marriages" prescribed in laws of the state they're in, then they're good to go."

So sounds like NCL has all of the captains on the "select itineraries" (see fine print on same page of brochure) obtain the proper credentials to perform weddings. ...Now I'm wondering how they go about that...hmm, more interesting info here: http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/a/officiants.htm

Sorry O/P, I'm getting off-topic a bit! Looks like Jane Don provided a useful link. Hope you come up with a lovely plan!

Edited by jazzydiver

I thank all who replied.

I guess my plan was a bit naive. Kinda forgot that the cruise lines are in this to make money, not play Love Boat. I hadn't seen the Renewal package before, did look at it, and it seems like not very much value for the buck. And my lady, well she's much more into frugality than sappy romantic gestures (that's my job in the relationship... ☺ ), so I didn't think she'd actually like it if I went that route. I showed it to her and she agreed, not worth it.

Alas the plan is abandoned. But she knows my heart is in the right place. She'd better, after 25 years.

Having now also related to her my original plan, I wonder what she'll think now when, on the day of our anniversary, I ask her if she'll marry me again... 😉

Before you totally give up, go to your M&G on board, see if you can catch the Hotel Director one on one for a bit, and see if there is anything he/she can do. I've found the HD can usually get some interesting and outside the box things accomplished if they like you :)