Cruise Suggestions for mom

Hi fellow cruisers!

My mom has never cruised before and asked me, (who has only done 2 cruises), to find a good cruise that we can all enjoy - it would be me, my husband, my mom and her friend. -we are looking to go sometime in August or Sept of this year (yes I know, short notice!:eek:).Ideally looking at Caribbean ports, from 5-7 days and it must include a few spots at different islands since she likes to browse, shop and walk around.

Any ideas on which itineraries would work? I havent really been up to speed on whats out there and could use a head start other than just looking at RCCL's web site.

Thanks!

Edited by CosmoLover

You have a good number of choices for 7 day Caribbean cruises:

Freedom from Port Canaveral

Independence from Ft. Lauderdale

Oasis from Ft. Lauderdale

Navigator from Galveston

Oasis would be the most spectacular ship.

If she likes to browse and shop, a cruise including St. Martin and St. Thomas would be my recommendation. Both are great for that and probably the best places in the Caribbean for it.:)

They are both great ports, I would add Cozumel. If you cruise September you will not have as many children on board and it will be a little cheaper.

Oasis or Allure Western Caribbean. September would be best. Fewer kids as they are back in school. It would also be cheaper.

I agree, except Allure does not get back from the Med by the end of September.

Thanks for the suggestions! keep em coming. My mom and her friend are in their mid to late 60s - so they'd def want some privacy, peace and quiet at times. They def want to see a lot so the cruise idea seems to be best suggestion I've given them. Are there any options for leaving from NY or NJ or are these ships all leaving from Ft Lauderdale/Miami area? We'd also have to factor in flights from NY to FL which is a pain in the xxx.

I'd check out the Adventure sailings out of San Juan. There are some great islands represented and not too many days at sea. I've never sailed on the Adventure (I will in January) but have sailed out of San Juan a few times and loved it.

Thanks for the suggestions! keep em coming. My mom and her friend are in their mid to late 60s - so they'd def want some privacy, peace and quiet at times. They def want to see a lot so the cruise idea seems to be best suggestion I've given them. Are there any options for leaving from NY or NJ or are these ships all leaving from Ft Lauderdale/Miami area? We'd also have to factor in flights from NY to FL which is a pain in the xxx.

Liberty leaves from Bayonne NJ. There's a 9 night starting Aug 13th that hits Bermuda, St. Maarten, and San Juan.

Most of the sailings from NY/NJ are either 5 days with only one stop, or over 10 days with multiple stops.

Most Caribbean cruises will leave from Florida, with the exception of some leaving from Texas or San Juan. The Southern trips which leave from San Juan are usually more port intensive over the 7 days with 5 port stops. Eastern and Western will have either 3 (Oasis) or 4 (most other ships).

I have only been on the western Caribbean on the Allure, Oasis's sister ship. The ship was amazing and there is plenty to do on the ship. The ports were ok, but there isnt much to do in Haiti as it is restricted only to RCCI ships. We like Jamaica and the port there is really nice and brand new. Cozumel was a lot of fun, but we did a excursion through the ship where we took Jeeps around the island and we didnt do much other than that.

From NJ, Liberty does 5 day cruises to Bermuda during Sept and Oct. After the 9 day Caribbean sailing on Aug 13 (which Bob posted), the alternating 9 day cruises are to Canada/New England on Liberty in Sept and Oct. There is a 10 day Caribbean on Oct 24, and then the ship repositions to Galveston.

For shopping: Any itinerary that stops in St Maarten. They have the most shopping and also the best deals.

If you're willing and able, you might try a cruise leaving from San Juan (Adventure of the Seas, a voyager class ship that's a little bigger with more to do than the Jewel, which also leaves from San Juan but is probably slightly cheaper). The itineraries leaving from San Juan are very port intensive with only 1 day at sea, sometimes 2) and you get to see much less visited islands than the ones that leave from Florida. Ports like Barbados, Aruba, Curaçao, St Kitts, Antigua, Bonaire, Martinique, St Lucia, St Croix...places you can never get to from Florida because they're just too far south to reach in 7 days unless that's the only island they visit.