Shorts?!

4gomez

Every trip we have been on in the past; my wife wears dresses and I at least a jacket each night to dinner. We are going on the Gem in Oct. with 2 of our adult children. We want this to be ultra casual. No specialty dining. Can I wear dress shorts to either MDR or is it policy not to? If there is no official policy is it frowned upon. Bottom line is; can I get in?

So to verify, I can wear shorts (yes, nice khaki or similar) and a nice collar shirt in the following 4 specialties:

Teppanyaki

Cagney's

Moderno

La Cucina

I am on the Getaway in two weeks...

So to verify, I can wear shorts (yes, nice khaki or similar) and a nice collar shirt in the following 4 specialties:

Teppanyaki

Cagney's

Moderno

La Cucina

That is correct - and in the less formal of the MDRs. And, of course, the buffet :D

Teppanyaki

Cagney's

Moderno

La Cucina

And they don't even have to be "dress" shorts. As long it's not a bathing suit, you're good to go.

Only one I've been to (and it was on Epic) was La Cucina, which I thoroughly enjoyed (though be foreward the servings are gi-normous).

You don't even need to wear a "nice collared shirt." As long as you are not in a wife beater, no problems. This is what NCL specifically says:

"Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. "