18 Year Old - single meet

MeredithNC

Is the single meet a good place for my granddaughter to meet other singles on the trip - or is it usually an older crowd?

I remember being 18(now 23) on a cruise ship and honestly it was an awkward age on a cruise ship because they don't focus on the 18-20 year old age group. My personal advice would be depending on her preference would be to check out club 02. It's a club for 15-17 year old however some times eighteen years old check it out on the first day to meet people. At least I did to meet people around my age on the ship.

Legally, she might not be allowed to stay there I honestly don't remember but I do know they are strict about no alcohol or parents in there. Carnival has staff in there and it has fun activities. The reason why I say it is awkward is because at 18 you can't enter some clubs at night or drink. Therefore, after dinner if she doesn't want to go to the show her options might be more limited. Nevertheless, she can still check out karaoke nights and look in the fun times to see if they have a 18-21 meet up.

Edited by josephcooper7

Is the single meet a good place for my granddaughter to meet other singles on the trip - or is it usually an older crowd?

A safer, better, option might be for you or her to check out the roll call for that cruise to try to connect with some other females in her age group before the cruise.

Strength in numbers and if she's hanging out with another young lady, or two, she'll probably attract males of the same age range.

Legally, she might not be allowed to stay there I honestly don't remember but I do know they are strict about no alcohol or parents in there.

Just so we're clear maritime law in open waters is very liberal and would not address this. The under 21 rules aboard ship are purely Carnival Policy to avoid lawsuits in the US. Though they might be like "laws" they are still policies.

Having said that I think it's fine I don't think a grandmother may have a good gauge on what it is their grandchild would like to participate in so just let her do as she pleases.

Just so we're clear maritime law in open waters is very liberal and would not address this. The under 21 rules aboard ship are purely Carnival Policy to avoid lawsuits in the US. Though they might be like "laws" they are still policies.

Having said that I think it's fine I don't think a grandmother may have a good gauge on what it is their grandchild would like to participate in so just let her do as she pleases.

Thank you for the correction. Carnival policy seems to be that if your still in highschool you might be grandfathered in on the O2 club. As for drinking, it can certainly happen as long as someone else buys it. But most likely the daughter won't be able to buy it with her sail and sign card herself. Again this is variable but when I look like I'm 12 it never worked in my favor.

Moreover, you could reach out to the cruise director of the ship and see if they can simply schedule a meet up for 18-20 years old the first or second day of the cruise. Again, I'm sure she can easily meet people at the dance club, karaoke, by the pool, and other events this is just in addition to all thoses options. But I certainly agree there is safety in numbers.