First time Aboard HAL ms Maasdam

Jayne77

Hello fellow cruisers!

I have never sailed on HAL and exciting for my upcoming voyage aboard the Ms Maasdam for 7 days along Canada/New England at the the end of September from Montreal to Boston!

Looking for any tips, secrets, suggestions, excitement, and expert advice from people who have called ms Maasdam "home!"

Anything from cool hangouts, food, port advice, stateroom advice, and anything else!

Thanks so much! So excited!

My family and I are boarding her tomorrow, so I'll give you the latest scoop when I get back. Should be a wonderful trip. We've sailed Holland America for years and love it--welcome aboard!

Hello fellow cruisers!

I have never sailed on HAL and exciting for my upcoming voyage aboard the Ms Maasdam for 7 days along Canada/New England at the the end of September from Montreal to Boston!

Looking for any tips, secrets, suggestions, excitement, and expert advice from people who have called ms Maasdam "home!"

Anything from cool hangouts, food, port advice, stateroom advice, and anything else!

I suggest that you search out the excellent review of the Maasdam done by coka under the heading My New Favorite Ship: MS Maasdam 06/27/15..you will find it on Page 3 of this thread. She has done a wonderful review of both the Maasdam and the Canada/New England cruise. There are many, many tips and expert advice for you to follow. I am sure that you will be even more excited about your upcoming cruise than you are now after you read her review.

I am doing this same cruise leaving from Montreal on Sept 5 so if there is something specific you have questions about I will try to answer them, or at least find out for you. The Maasdam is my favourite (Canadian spelling) ship...have spent over 30 days on her so looking forward to this cruise.:)

Jane

We returned from this cruise on July 4 (our second time doing it). You are in for a great time! All the Canadian ports have free wifi in the port buildings which came in very handy. The Maasdam is in great shape and this crew was fantastic! If you have specific questions I'll do my best to answer...

We returned from this cruise on July 4 (our second time doing it). You are in for a great time! All the Canadian ports have free wifi in the port buildings which came in very handy. The Maasdam is in great shape and this crew was fantastic! If you have specific questions I'll do my best to answer...

Hopefully the wifi will be working. Many of us were not successful getting onto it. The wifi in the Quebec terminal works great but other than that not so much.

Op, hope you have a wonderful cruise.

We are also taking our first HAL cruise on the Maasdam in just a couple of weeks. I cannot wait to compare it to NCL, which has been our only cruise line for the last 8 years. We are changing because bored with itinerary... but I will say the haphazard way NCL is implementing new initiatives is making it easy. Coka should lead a cruise of people who just want to hang out with her. It would be a sell out.

We are also taking our first HAL cruise on the Maasdam in just a couple of weeks. I cannot wait to compare it to NCL, which has been our only cruise line for the last 8 years.

You made a great choice with Maasdam and the Canada & New England itinerary. I, too, mostly sail Norwegian, but I had a really nice time on this cruise last month. Here are some differences you may notice:

Our sailing was full, but public venues were never full. I asked and was told that a lot of HAL passengers spend a lot of time in their staterooms. Similarly, the atmosphere was much more quiet all around the ship. The sail-away party at the Lido Pool, for example, was sparsely attended even though the HAL Cats (house band) were playing and the weather was beautiful.

Service was excellent! I have never had so many crew know my name by the end of a cruise. I think service in the MDR was generally more efficient than on NCL. That said, the menu was more limited. We had one dinner in Pinnacle Grill (HAL's equivalent of Cagney's) and the service was inferior to the MDR.

Musical entertainment on Maasdam was excellent, especially Jamm the Piano Man, Kevin (the Scottish guitarist) and the Neptunes jazz trio. Mix and Ocean Bar form a horizontal equivalent of Bar City on Norwegian ships. However, stage productions on NCL are sexier, much more lavish, and have superior production values.

Finally, I love the Lido Pool on HAL. Having that glass roof saved our sea day last month, as it rained all day. From my perch in the hot tub, everything was lovely despite the rain. Just don't try and drink a cocktail while in the hot tub! Bar servers will chastise you.

Norwegian is definitely more fun, but I appreciate the quiet elegance of HAL. I hope you will tell us about your cruise when you return. Cheers! :)

Hello fellow cruisers!

We have taken this tripoth directionson the Massdam. The piano bar was a great time. We alsoenjoyedour tour to Bay of Fundie, Have agood time and I agree try thr lobster rolls, YUM! YUM!:D

Robert