Souvenir shopping on a Hurtigruten cruise

erinmarie424

Looking for ideas of souvenirs to buy along the way. I've got several people I want to pick up gifts for - Tweens and adults. I know I need to be prepared to pay more for them than what I would expect to pay here. What have other people brought back from their cruise and where did you find it?

We brought back things for ourselves, probably not the types of things you'd bring to others: a beautiful poster of the Northern Lights that we found at the tourist center on the pier at Tromso, and a Hurtigruten Panorama book which we bought slighter cheaper at the Hurtigruten Museum in Stokmarknes, although they sell it onboard too. I also bought some spices in a market in Tromso and sent post cards with the North Cape post mark, done onboard. I think 4 stamped postcards cost $30 but a lovely souvenir that we mailed to ourselves.

I think the more traditional gives are available in may places but especially in wide variety at the gift shop at North Cape: jewelry, clothing, furry reindeer things, trolls, carvings etc.

I looked at a lot of jewelry but didn't buy any... just didn't see what I wanted and therefore didn't want to pay the high prices. There were some very lovely stores that we went into in Hammerfest.

Hope you find some what you want. Enjoy, m--

I love the pewter items with various Nordic designs on them. They are available in most gift shops - serving utensils, napkins rings, etc. The larger cities have more gift type shops, although there often are small shops at many of the stops. My husband really liked the wool knit scarf with the Norwegian flag I brought him. If you want to bring back Norwegian candy, wait until after you go through customs at the airport - they have a huge selection and the prices are lower because of less taxes than in non-airport shops.

The trip was my gift to myself, and most of my souvenirs were the 1500 photographs I took on the trip. I did buy my sister (the knitter) some Norwegian wool (enough for a hat and gloves) and bought a few refrigerator magnets. If you like trolls there are tons of places to buy these. I did most of my shopping in Bergen. I bought chocolate in the duty free area at the Oslo airport (on my homeward journey) for my colleagues at work. It was cheaper there than at the grocery stores I found in Oslo or Bergen.

I bought the Hurtigruten book as well, but found it on-line (Amazon) used before I left for my trip (and at about 1/2 the price on-board). It is not cheap, but I really enjoyed using it to help identify what I was seeing, and especially liked the information about the history of various ports and sights along the route.

Edited by Splinter

On our trips to Norway and Sweden (including a Hurtigruten cruise) we shop in local stores. In Hammerfest, Norway my wife purchased some nice small paintings by local artists in a gallery. In doing some snack shopping at a COOP Grocery I found some local candies for grandchildren. I also found a liquor store in Trondheim where I could buy "sampler packs" of schnapps and aquavit. They were great gifts for adult friends, but you have to remember they go in checked luggage for the flight home.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I hestitated about taking it due to the bulk and weight, but was so glad that I did take it. I carried it with me around the ship all the time and consulted it as we cruised along. I learned so much about what we were seeing, the history of the areas, and the ports from this book. I also used it extensively after my return home to help me identify my 1500 photographs. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Splinter