Embarkation on the GEM

I apologize if this topic has been covered already, but what is the best strategy for embarkation on the Gem at NYC? Do different "classes" have different boarding times (occupants of suites vs. inside cabin dwellers); or different levels of Latitude members (bronze here!)?

The ship is supposed to leave at 4 pm. I know you have to be on board earlier than that. But when does the boarding process actually begin? Can one be there before noon and get on board?

Thanks.

Hi John,

I just got off the Gem yesterday...embarkation was definitely interesting. The assign you a number when you get to Check In, and the later you arrive, the higher your number, and the longer you're stuck in the terminal. You can arrive as early as 9:30, but the ship has been regularly boarding at around 11:30, according to the staff that was there.

Last week, they started the boarding process at 11:30 (maybe a few minutes before). Because we got there so early, we managed to snag number 2, so we were part of the first group on, after the folks with disabilities and super mega platinum Latitudes members. Everyone WILL get on the ship, but everyone will also spend a certain amount of time sitting in the terminal, either waiting for their number (we saw them as high as 33), so take that for what it's worth. Personally, I paid for that day, and I want to spend as much of it on the ship as possible.

My advice would be to go as early as possible to snag an early boarding group. Hope that helps!

Hi John,

I just got off the Gem yesterday...embarkation was definitely interesting. The assign you a number when you get to Check In, and the later you arrive, the higher your number, and the longer you're stuck in the terminal. You can arrive as early as 9:30, but the ship has been regularly boarding at around 11:30, according to the staff that was there.

Last week, they started the boarding process at 11:30 (maybe a few minutes before). Because we got there so early, we managed to snag number 2, so we were part of the first group on, after the folks with disabilities and super mega platinum Latitudes members. Everyone WILL get on the ship, but everyone will also spend a certain amount of time sitting in the terminal, either waiting for their number (we saw them as high as 33), so take that for what it's worth. Personally, I paid for that day, and I want to spend as much of it on the ship as possible.

My advice would be to go as early as possible to snag an early boarding group. Hope that helps!

That is tremendously helpful! Thank you! I always bring my phone with a kindle app so I'll have something to read in the terminal.

I am staying at the Newark Airport Holiday Inn the night before. It shouldn't take too long to get into Manhattan.

That is tremendously helpful! Thank you! I always bring my phone with a kindle app so I'll have something to read in the terminal.

I am staying at the Newark Airport Holiday Inn the night before. It shouldn't take too long to get into Manhattan.

I was traveling with Bensonfan. When you get to the terminal, they'll tell you exactly where to sit for your boarding group, and there will be vendors selling food too. NCL also provides orange juice and water while you wait.

I haven't been on an NCL cruise since 2004, but I am planning on arriving by 11:00 am.

Interesting coincidence. I was on an NCL cruise back in 2004, the old Norwegian Dream out of New Orleans.

I have not been on ANY cruise with ANY line since then, so this is very exciting to me.

I have to laugh, as I am the "folks with disabilities AND super mega platinum Latitudes members." I normally board before they call boarding. It is odd and neat to be on an empty ship. The one best thing is you don't have to wait for an elevator. The bad thing is you have to wait about 45 mins before they start serving lunch, and being disabled, walking around the ship is something I wait for when we are at sea.

I'm just a humble, barefoot inside cabin dweller with a Bronze Latitudes rating.

Look for the line that says LATITUDES when you are through Security. The people at the port will be helping direct guests as well. Although sometimes the non-Latitudes line early can be quite short.

have fun! Love the GEM

We arrived at 9:25 a.m., and were checked in by 9:45. There were maybe 50-75 people in front of us on line, and way less than that occupying seats in the terminal after check in. We were given card #24, at the time I didn't know the significance or meaning of the number. At 11:25 a.m., they started calling the numbers beginning with card #1!?!? At that moment, I realized that I should probably sit back down. But honestly, it only took about 15 minutes to get to card #24, so no big deal. I'm not the most patient person out there, but even I thought the boarding process was pretty good.

We are latitude members but traveling with another family who is not. Will they be able to checkin and board with us?

If you're booked under the same reservation, I don't see why not. Imo, it should work the same as checking in at the air port of one person is a frequent flyer and the other isn't.

We went on the NCL Crown to Bermuda in 2004. That is the last cruise I have been on because my daughter was born in 2005 and son in 2007 and we wanted to wait until they were old enough to really enjoy a cruise. They are 10 and 8 now.

Edited by sapphirecr79

John

We will be flying into Newark and cruising on the GEM in November. How did staying at the Newark Airport Holiday Inn and getting to / from the ship work out for you?

Any tips on checking in?

thanx

akbear49 aka Ed from Alaska

John

We will be flying into Newark and cruising on the GEM in November. How did staying at the Newark Airport Holiday Inn and getting to / from the ship work out for you?

Any tips on checking in?

thanx

akbear49 aka Ed from Alaska

Ed, I haven't done it yet. I just mentioned that I will be staying at the Holiday Inn before I embark. It is not too far from NYC. The hotel has a 90% satisfaction rating, at least according to the discount site I booked with. Hint: the Holiday Inn site has a "best price" guarantee. If you book with them and find a better deal within a certain amount of time (not sure how long) they will match the deal. However, I am not 100% sure if that applies to a "mystery" offer (meaning that I was offered a room at a "3-1/2 Star" hotel for a great rate but had to accept the offer to find out the actual hotel name).

Best advice I can give is not to limit yourself to a Manhattan hotel. You can get just as good a room for a much lower price and still be conveniently near the ship if you stay in North Jersey near the coast. I say that as a NYC native ... everything in the City costs more.

And which November cruise will you be on? I am sailing on November 23. Check out our Roll Call Page and sign in if you're with us.

Good luck!

Hi John

We will be returning on Nov 23rd :D.

The way it is shaping up right now is that we'll be over nighting at the Newark Airport Holiday Inn and taking a cab to the terminal the following morning. When we get back on the 23rd we plan on renting a car either in Manhattan or return to Newark to pick up a car there and finish our trip.

We left Staten Island in '85, moved to the Poconos and then on to Alaska in '90.

Have a good trip.

Ed

Hi John

The way it is shaping up right now is that we'll be over nighting at the Newark Airport Holiday Inn and taking a cab to the terminal the following morning. When we get back on the 23rd we plan on renting a car either in Manhattan or return to Newark to pick up a car there and finish our trip.

We left Staten Island in '85, moved to the Poconos and then on to Alaska in '90.

Have a good trip.

Ed

Well I hope you have a great trip too! The Newark Holiday Inn is a great deal, or can be, given its customer satisfaction and cheaper rates than Manhattan.

Hi John

Have a good trip.

Ed

I basically moved away from Manhattan when I went to college in 1986 but have been back many times since ...

Does anyone know what is the purpose of selecting an arrival time during the online check in process, if it first come, first serve to board the ship. With the exception of those that are disabled or Latitudes members.

I think they just want an idea of how many are arriving at any given time...kind of gauge the flow ;).

I apologize if this topic has been covered already, but what is the best strategy for embarkation on the Gem at NYC? Do different "classes" have different boarding times (occupants of suites vs. inside cabin dwellers); or different levels of Latitude members (bronze here!)?

The ship is supposed to leave at 4 pm. I know you have to be on board earlier than that. But when does the boarding process actually begin? Can one be there before noon and get on board?

Thanks.

John I hope you have a wonderful time...the Gem is a fabulous ship...one of my 2 favorites ;).

John I hope you have a wonderful time...the Gem is a fabulous ship...one of my 2 favorites ;).

Thank you for the kind wishes. I was impressed with what I have read about the Gem. It's not monstrously large or like a floating mall, but it is sizeable enough to have many amenities even for a "steerage" passenger like me. :D