Do walkie Talkie's work on Adventure of the Seas?

We use them every time we cruise. The last time we used them was on the Explorer in 2011 when had a group of 11. We had no problems with them other than other people using the same channel. I bought the Motorola 8 mile range Walkie talkies from Target.

We found that the walkie talkies worked OK, unless we were separated by a few decks. For example, we could not communicate if one person was in the Solarium and the other person was on the Royal Promenade.

We had issues if we weren't both on the "outside" of the ship. ie: royal promenade and balcony room: no. Solarium and balcony room: yes. Cigar Lounge and room: no. Balcony room to other balcony room: Yes.

Not super convenient

Worked fine about 90 percent of the time on Oasis. Our family group of 14 could not have found each other without them.

Ours worked fine until I got into the hottub and forgot I had the walkie-talkie in my pocket! :eek:

Saw several people using them on the Adventure this month but if you do use them, please turn the volume down! LOL For some reason the people using them felt the need to have the volume at max which is rather annoying

Saw several people using them on the Adventure this month but if you do use them, please turn the volume down! LOL For some reason the people using them felt the need to have the volume at max which is rather annoying

We have used them on a few cruises. On one of them there was a family who just seemed to use them to chat with each other. Talk about annoying. By the time they were finished there was probably nothing left for them to say to each other at dinner.:rolleyes:

We have used them on a few cruises. On one of them there was a family who just seemed to use them to chat with each other. Talk about annoying. By the time they were finished there was probably nothing left for them to say to each other at dinner.:rolleyes:

Not trying to start an argument, but would it have been equally annoying if the person they were talking to was right there and they were having the exact same conversation in person?

Not trying to start an argument, but would it have been equally annoying if the person they were talking to was right there and they were having the exact same conversation in person?

I doubt it. People having face to face conversations don't tend to talk all that loudly. Just like with cell phones, some people think if you talk louder your signal will carry father. Plus since there is a fair amount of interference from the ship's metal on these boxes it just doesn't go like a normal conversation. You get to listen to a lot of static when the person who is not there is talking. And if you happen to have a walkie talkie and neither person is near you then you get to listen to a bunch of static as both parties continuously ask each other to repeat what was just said. I think you get the picture.

We tried walkie talkies once on a ship and after the first day we got tired of carrying them around. We just didn't have any where to store them on our persons that was comfortable and accessible.

They did work though, although some of them make squawks and squeaks that were annoying at times. As one person noted it may not be more annoying than someone in person talking, but the person on the other end of the walkie doesn't necessarily know where you are or what you are doing so they may try to "beep" you in the middle of a game or a show or something. Of course, you can turn down the volume when you don't want to be annoyed, but you have to remember to do that.

We ended up just not thinking it was worth the trouble and we resigned to use the phone message system if we wanted to leave messages.

I wish someone could perfect a good SMS system that would work on cruise ships. Many people carry around their phones or iPads to play games or even as their clock and "texting" doesn't have to cause any interruptions. You can check the message and reply when you want. If there was a way to do that for very low cost (or free) that would be a great feature on a cruise.

Alas...

Tom

i doubt it. People having face to face conversations don't tend to talk all that loudly. Just like with cell phones, some people think if you talk louder your signal will carry father. Plus since there is a fair amount of interference from the ship's metal on these boxes it just doesn't go like a normal conversation. You get to listen to a lot of static when the person who is not there is talking. And if you happen to have a walkie talkie and neither person is near you then you get to listen to a bunch of static as both parties continuously ask each other to repeat what was just said. I think you get the picture.

agreed.