Early season Alaska cruises?

Huskerchick

For those of you who have done the first cruise of the Alaska season what's the weather like? Thinking of joining friends on the 4/30/16 sailing on the NA.

We've done two first-of-the-season Alaska cruises, but neither was that early. 4/30 is early-early :D Since you have a compelling reason to take that cruise, go. Enjoy. Take layers :D (I always take 1 or 2 cashmere sweaters to layer, so there's a good reason for a new cashmere sweater ;) )

As for September cruises (not exactly sure how that became a topic in the "first cruise of the season thread" but whatever....) I've been on September cruises that have had spectacular weather.

Alaska is one of those places that there is no way to tell what weather you will experience until you are there, experiencing it.

Edited by CowPrincess

We've done two first-of-the-season Alaska cruises, but neither was that early. 4/30 is early-early :D Since you have a compelling reason to take that cruise, go. Enjoy. Take layers :D (I always take 1 or 2 cashmere sweaters to layer, so there's a good reason for a new cashmere sweater ;) )

As for September cruises (not exactly sure how that became a topic in the "first cruise of the season thread" but whatever....) I've been on September cruises that have had spectacular weather.

Alaska is one of those places that there is no way to tell what weather you will experience until you are there, experiencing it.

It was post number 3 from Lizzie 68 that brought up the September cruise. Threads drift, it not surprising.

Huskerchick, I think you should ride the ship right from Fort Lauderdale. It would be good to see you both again.

We did a May 1 cruise a year ago and the weather was perfect! The only negatives were that some of the port shops were not open yet for the season, and more importantly we could not get close to the large glacier in Glacier Bay due to heavy ice.

The lack of shops in ports is another good reason for an early season cruise;). We went to Alaska the second week of May and by then all shops were open with the sleazy touts in full force.

Huskerchick, I think you should ride the ship right from Fort Lauderdale. It would be good to see you both again.

POA and Huskerchick, last year we got on in Fort Lauderdale and stayed aboard for the first Alaska cruise on the Zuiderdam. Packing was a bit of a challenge but we managed.

We were lucky as far as weather went and wore what would be considered late fall hooded jackets in Maine (I know that's where you are from) with wool sweaters underneath.

Glacier Bay was the only place where we really bundled up. The weather was good but you do get a chill from the glaciers. We took along long underwear for that day as well as our golfing storm pants to wear over our regular pants. Gloves and a toque finished the ensemble. We looked like the kids used to when I would bundle them up to go out to play in the winter but it was effective.

Living on the coast here we are used to unpredictable weather and realise that Glacier Bay could make a liar out of me. However if you go being prepared for cold and get to enjoy warm you will be comfortable regardless. It is better to be able to skip the bundling than to not have it when you need it.

Next year we are going to Alaska on the NA the week after you two. It would have been so nice to see you again. We will be in Vancouver for two days after the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise and thought it would be nice to enjoy the Alaska cruise again without the long transcontinental flight so we decided to go for it. Again, packing will be a challenge. :)

We will be staying at the Pan Pacific at Canada Place so maybe we will see you on the ship from the patio area of the hotel. We can wave. :)

POA and Huskerchick, last year we got on in Fort Lauderdale and stayed aboard for the first Alaska cruise on the Zuiderdam. Packing was a bit of a challenge but we managed.

We were lucky as far as weather went and wore what would be considered late fall hooded jackets in Maine (I know that's where you are from) with wool sweaters underneath.

Glacier Bay was the only place where we really bundled up. The weather was good but you do get a chill from the glaciers. We took along long underwear for that day as well as our golfing storm pants to wear over our regular pants. Gloves and a toque finished the ensemble. We looked like the kids used to when I would bundle them up to go out to play in the winter but it was effective.

Living on the coast here we are used to unpredictable weather and realise that Glacier Bay could make a liar out of me. However if you go being prepared for cold and get to enjoy warm you will be comfortable regardless. It is better to be able to skip the bundling than to not have it when you need it.

Next year we are going to Alaska on the NA the week after you two. It would have been so nice to see you again. We will be in Vancouver for two days after the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise and thought it would be nice to enjoy the Alaska cruise again without the long transcontinental flight so we decided to go for it. Again, packing will be a challenge. :)

We will be staying at the Pan Pacific at Canada Place so maybe we will see you on the ship from the patio area of the hotel. We can wave. :)

We would love to do the Panama Canal transit followed by Alaska, but such a long cruise will probably have to wait for retirement. The best for us would be a long cruise that ends at Port Everglades. Nothing beats a 3.5 mile, 10 minute trip home.

Sapper - Enjoy the roll reversal. I should see if there's a way to get an air horn to you. That would probably get quite the reaction in Vancouver.

We would love to do the Panama Canal transit followed by Alaska, but such a long cruise will probably have to wait for retirement. The best for us would be a long cruise that ends at Port Everglades. Nothing beats a 3.5 mile, 10 minute trip home.

Sapper - Enjoy the roll reversal. I should see if there's a way to get an air horn to you. That would probably get quite the reaction in Vancouver.

I figured that it wouldn't work for you but thought I'd mention it anyway.

I figured that it wouldn't work for you but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Hey there girl. Got a question for ya:)

Are you doing the 1st Alaska on NA 30 April 2016 also?

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

It could get us asked to leave the hotel----early. :D

Hey there girl. Got a question for ya:)

Are you doing the 1st Alaska on NA 30 April 2016 also?

Joanie

No, I'm not 100% sure I'll be doing this one. As of today, I've been unemployed for 6 months and the economy is not picking up here. Add to that I have a special assessment on my condo for $7600. I'm going to have to assess my finances at final payment to see if this cruise is a good idea or not. Hopefully I'll be working by then or have worked some by then.

No, I'm not 100% sure I'll be doing this one. As of today, I've been unemployed for 6 months and the economy is not picking up here. Add to that I have a special assessment on my condo for $7600. I'm going to have to assess my finances at final payment to see if this cruise is a good idea or not. Hopefully I'll be working by then or have worked some by then.

Sad/Unhappy Face not an Angry Face because I am sad that right now it is not looking brighter for you:(

OK, keeping my fingers crossed that things get brighter for you way before then!!

I know the job situation up there to my North are bad, we have a friend of more than 30 years who has Roger helping her with resumes several times a month trying to get a job in or around Montreal.

Hopefully I will see your name added to the 30 April 2016 Alaska Inaugural cruise for NA.

Joanie