Early season Alaska cruises?

Huskerchick

I was on the first cruise of the season for the Noordam in May of this year. We had incredible weather!! Incredibly good, that is. It was sunny and warm (near 70) all except the first and last day out of Vancouver.

However - that was very unusual weather for that time of the year. It is more likely to be chilly, although it's not the rainy season yet.

For those of you who have done the first cruise of the Alaska season what's the weather like? Thinking of joining friends on the 4/30/16 sailing on the NA.

We are booked on this cruise as we prefer early season booking.

Typical weather from our experience is mid-40's at night and mid-50's during the day. Temps in Glacier Bay are usually 5-10 degrees cooler. May is supposed to be the driest month in Alaska.

With the above being said, the temps this May 2015 were in the low 70's so as previously posted, Southeastern Alaska weather is extremely variable.

We did Alaska in May of 2010, and weather was phenomenal, sunny, blue skies, around 70 degrees (warmer in the sun). We definitely overpacked with warm clothes!

It's certainly much more likely to be dry in early season than from August on. May and June are driest months in Alaska. We were there last September, and it rained almost every day.

We did Alaska in May of 2010, and weather was phenomenal, sunny, blue skies, around 70 degrees (warmer in the sun). We definitely overpacked with warm clothes!

It's certainly much more likely to be dry in early season than from August on. May and June are driest months in Alaska. We were there last September, and it rained almost every day.

Eight years ago on the Zaandam, chilly (parkas for we Downunder people) but beautiful. We did the rail trip out of Skagway and the further we went the more snow there was. Apart from the cold, the weather was lovely and clear, but you can never tell.

Ozcruizer

I too would visit the Alaska Ports Of Call Board.

The thing about Alaska is that the weather changes all the time from year to year or even day to day or hour to hour.

While weather early in the season can be on the cooler side you might have a nice sunny day. You just don't know. My best viewing of Glacier Bay was in April. I was there the prior August and it was rainy and overcast. Next time around it could have been in reverse.

Keith

For those of you who have done the first cruise of the Alaska season what's the weather like? Thinking of joining friends on the 4/30/16 sailing on the NA.

Since our very first cruise was to Alaska in early May 2008, we have gone every year since.

We've gone in May, July and September, so have experienced a bit of the different times of year, weather, etc.

In 2008, our first cruise to Alaska we expected to be extremely cold in early May, never happened:) Only 1 port was not the best, Sitka, BUT while it started out as a dreary day, as soon as the sun came up it turned into one of my favorite ports. Hubbard's Glacier was 70+ degrees outside and the Shops on the ship sold out of T shirts.

In 2011 we decided to try the last 2 weeks of the Alaska season in mid and late September. First week was absolutely spectacular!! Second week we were hit with 3 typhoons and extreme bitterly cold rain for most of the week. Lesson learned....I do not like Alaska cruising in September. I think one reason, other than the weather, was the fact that to me Alaska means snow and in September their aint much snow....

In 2014 we tried Alaska in July. Nice but... Once again the lack of snow just did not feel like Alaska. Weather was absolutely fantastic both weeks, but as I said, no snow.....

We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam 30 April 2016 for 2 weeks and am so looking forward to Alaska again.

As others have already stated, weather in Alaska is a crap shoot. You never know what it will be like until it actually happens:) Just go, be prepared and enjoy the cruise, no matter the weather because....The weather might not be to your liking but how many millions of people are missing out of the experience of cruising to Alaska? Do you feel lucky? I know I sure do:)

Joanie

We did a May 1 cruise a year ago and the weather was perfect! The only negatives were that some of the port shops were not open yet for the season, and more importantly we could not get close to the large glacier in Glacier Bay due to heavy ice.

If this is your sole trip to Glacier Bay, I would avoid this early a cruise. For us, it was not a big deal, having been there recently before that.

As stated by others, the Alaska weather is totally unpredictable. We have done about 6-8 Alaska cruises and the best weather we had was on Amsterdam one year when we were the first HAL ship departing Vancouver late April. T Shirts and shorts (not in the MDR!). The worst weather we have had was in August with rain every day. This is not to say your experience would be the same but just sharing ours.

One caution is the earlier your travels, you have a greater possibility of not being able to get into such places as Tracy Arm due to ice, which happened to us on a May 19 or so departure two years ago. On the April departure referenced above we were able to get into TA.

FWIW.

If you want SNOW, this is the time!

The mountains will be at their best and Glacier Bay will be spectacular.

From past experience, I would bet on cold to cool, but as noted above, you never know. You might get more rain than usual at this time, though.

I've done first week of May twice. Weather is a bit more of a mix. Tracy Arm may not be fully accessible due to more ice. You might see a little more rain/fog/mist. But it's still absolutely beautiful and wildlife may be a little more plentiful as it's still spring time. (This past May on Celebrity Solstice we saw a couple bear cubs playing by the water's edge in Tracy Arm... didn't get too far down and missed the glacier but the cubs helped make up for it)

We've loved it every time we've gone. Be prepared for a little of anything weather-wise and I'm sure you'll have a great time

Thanks for the help everyone. We just booked. Friends of ours from Maine are going to be the guest chefs on this cruise. They're also doing a 7 day New England and Canada cruise on the Veendam in September, and a Panama Canal transit on the Maasdam in the spring. It should be fun. The chefs are from Maine, so they won't have a problem with the temperatures. Huskerchick and I have been in Florida for a few years, but I'm sure we'll manage.

Thanks for the help everyone. We just booked. Friends of ours from Maine are going to be the guest chefs on this cruise. They're also doing a 7 day New England and Canada cruise on the Veendam in September, and a Panama Canal transit on the Maasdam in the spring. It should be fun. The chefs are from Maine, so they won't have a problem with the temperatures. Huskerchick and I have been in Florida for a few years, but I'm sure we'll manage.

How nice! I wish you were on for the following week, having had the pleasure of your and your lovely wife's company back in April. Are you friends staying on as guest chefs or is it just for the one week?

How nice! I wish you were on for the following week, having had the pleasure of your and your lovely wife's company back in April. Are you friends staying on as guest chefs or is it just for the one week?

They're only on the one week, but from what I understand, HAL has really cranked up the guest chef program for the 2015 and 2016 season. Our friends have been on Best Thing I Ever Ate, Chopped, Rewrapped, and Beat Bobby Flay (all Food Network) and on the Travel Channel's "Food Paradise." They're husband and wife, and while I may be biased, they do a very good demo.

Here's their demo on the Maasdam in 2013.

http://www.thekennebunkinn.com/holland-america-cruise-celebrity-guest-chefs-2013/

If you poke around their website, you can find two additional demonstrations from 2012 as well.

They're only on the one week, but from what I understand, HAL has really cranked up the guest chef program for the 2015 and 2016 season. Our friends have been on Best Thing I Ever Ate, Chopped, Rewrapped, and Beat Bobby Flay (all Food Network) and on the Travel Channel's "Food Paradise." They're husband and wife, and while I may be biased, they do a very good demo.

http://www.thekennebunkinn.com/holland-america-cruise-celebrity-guest-chefs-2013/

If you poke around their website, you can find two additional demonstrations from 2012 as well.

Well Finally we get to meet the Famous POA1 and his awesome Better Half!!!

Seriously Brian and wife, it's awesome to read that not only will we have you and your wife on this cruise but also 2 guest chefs!!! Roger will be in 7th Heaven watching the demos from the link but also on board and live:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Well Finally we get to meet the Famous POA1 and his awesome Better Half!!!

Seriously Brian and wife, it's awesome to read that not only will we have you and your wife on this cruise but also 2 guest chefs!!! Roger will be in 7th Heaven watching the demos from the link but also on board and live:)

Joanie

It will be a huge help to have Roger and his camera on the cruise. We sailed on the Maasdam with our friends in 2012. We took some photos of their demos, but the pictures. .. What's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah, sucked.

[snip]

In 2011 we decided to try the last 2 weeks of the Alaska season in mid and late September. First week was absolutely spectacular!! Second week we were hit with 3 typhoons and extreme bitterly cold rain for most of the week. Lesson learned....I do not like Alaska cruising in September. I think one reason, other than the weather, was the fact that to me Alaska means snow and in September their aint much snow....

Joanie

I have to confess I was giving my head a shake and thought that I was losing my memory.

how did one typhoon/storm turn into three?

I was so worried about my memory that I went back to your live thread which I followed adamantly back then.

you reported one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1476801&page=5

thankfully, my memory is not slipping ;)

nice, nice, nice :). thanks so much for sharing. That should be a wonderful experience :)

Thanks, Brian, that's interesting stuff. So sorry we will miss them, though. Maybe on a future cruise, who knows.

nice, nice, nice :). thanks so much for sharing. That should be a wonderful experience :)

You're welcome. It sounds like most of the Koningsdam's European cruises are getting guest chefs as well. I hope that HAL adds some other lecturers too. I think that would be nice.

I'm also waiting for napkin folding to make a comeback. Of course, I have only myself to blame. I still haven't learned to play the steel drums.

We did a NB Alaska about a dozen years ago in mid April (departed on the 16th-20th). Weather was cool and brisk. There was snow on the ground on Mt. Roberts and at Taku Lodge and we ran thru a snow storm on the White Pass RR.

Thoroughly enjoyable. And those year-rounders who were just opening their shops will talk your ear off!

I have to confess I was giving my head a shake and thought that I was losing my memory.

how did one typhoon/storm turn into three?

I was so worried about my memory that I went back to your live thread which I followed adamantly back then.

you reported one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1476801&page=5

thankfully, my memory is not slipping ;)

Posting only 1 portion does not give the full content. You quoted the one post before the cruise was over and the other typhoons had not hit yet. Try this post instead http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30737548&postcount=147 and or just read the whole thing again:) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1476801

IRL_Joanie