Equinox or Brilliance?

smiseel

I would like to go on a Transatlantic followed by a Mediterranean cruise.I love the itinerary on the Brilliance, but I have found some very negative reviews of the ship and crew. If anyone has sailed on the Brilliance recently, I would love some advice. I'd also like some information regarding the transatlantic from the US to Barcelona. Has anyone done this? There are multiple ports in Spain such as Cadiz, Malaga and Alicante. I really wan't planning so many Spanish ports, but they may prove interesting, especially Malaga where I could take a shore excursion to see the Alhambra.

Thanks in advance for your help.

We haven't sailed brilliance since 2010 Dubai & UAE but it was this ship that got us hooked on cruising we loved everything about it. However having discovered Celebrity particularly Blu and the entertainment offered we just want more and more! Equinox was fantastic last time and we have booked again for Dec Panama Canal. As for the ports in Spain we would book excursions in Cadiz and Malaga there are so many beautiful places within minutes but Alicante is just gorgeous to walk round and explore. Hope you have a wonderful trip whichever you decide!

My RCL obsessed friend has been on the Brilliance and really liked her so much so she is on her again right now round the Baltics! She still raves about the size being perfect and the cleanliness as well as the great aft cabins.

I am sure she will come back beaming and tell me all about it.

As for the Equinox I will be on her quite soon and I will come back to do a review. :)

Edited by Velvetwater

We have sailed on both ships.

I like RCCL, and the Brilliance is pretty, the service was good and the entertainment was just like Celebrity; sometimes good sometimes not so good.

I have never found a problem with the crew. I find if you smile at them and are respectful they act the same way.

The Brilliance has more entertainment venues which I like.

Celebrity excels in their food. Sadly, if you sail them 1st and RCCL 2nd; RCCL will not measure up.

But, they are both good ships and I know you really cannot go wrong.

We did a westbound TA this past fall from Barcelona to the US on Equinox. Wonderful cruise.

We will always prefer a westbound TA because of the gain of an hour nearly every night on the cross, not loss of an hour. And we prefer to get the long flight over with first.

Barcelona is a fabulous city, and we want to go again. We went 3 days early which isn't nearly enough. On the cruise we went to Malaga, Palma de Mallorca (loved it!), Valencia (loved it!) in Spain, and Lanzarote (meh) and Tenerife (loved it!) in the Canary Islands. Then 7 days back.

Never been on another ship besides Celebrity. Is there not a Mediterranean cruise you could do and stay on the ship B2B??

We did a westbound TA this past fall from Barcelona to the US on Equinox. Wonderful cruise.

We will always prefer a westbound TA because of the gain of an hour nearly every night on the cross, not loss of an hour. And we prefer to get the long flight over with first.

Barcelona is a fabulous city, and we want to go again. We went 3 days early which isn't nearly enough. On the cruise we went to Malaga, Palma de Mallorca (loved it!), Valencia (loved it!) in Spain, and Lanzarote (meh) and Tenerife (loved it!) in the Canary Islands. Then 7 days back.

Never been on another ship besides Celebrity. Is there not a Mediterranean cruise you could do and stay on the ship B2B??

Yes, If we go in April, we can stay on the ship and do Italy,Malta,Corsica. I've been on both Celebrity and RCCL, and I justcan't makeup my mind to go for the nicer ship or the itinerary I think I want. Thanks for your reply!

We sailed the Equinox in 2013 and as far as we are concerned, it's one of the most beautiful ships afloat.

We'll be sailing the Med next year on the Brilliance 12 day as we love the itinerary .

If Equinox did the same itinerary, we would have booked it in a blink.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

I would like to go on a Transatlantic followed by a Mediterranean cruise.I love the itinerary on the Brilliance, but I have found some very negative reviews of the ship and crew. If anyone has sailed on the Brilliance recently, I would love some advice. I'd also like some information regarding the transatlantic from the US to Barcelona. Has anyone done this? There are multiple ports in Spain such as Cadiz, Malaga and Alicante. I really wan't planning so many Spanish ports, but they may prove interesting, especially Malaga where I could take a shore excursion to see the Alhambra.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My vote would be strongly in favor of Equinox, having cruised on Brilliance twice and Equinox once.

We found Equinox's crew consistently had more of a "can do" attitude and were empowered to make small decisions without needing to consult management.

Even though our Brilliance cruises were almost 5 years apart, we were very disappointed by the on-board "culture" both times. They seemed to have a "just say NO" attitude, regardless of how small the request. This is in direct contrast to ALL our other RCI and X cruises.

That being said, I find the Radiance class ships prettier than the Solstice class. We really love all the glass on the Radiance ships and how you often feel outside, even when indoors.

Keep in mind that my last Brilliance experience was in 2010 and Equinox in 2009. We have 2 more cruises booked on Equinox and have sworn off booking Brilliance again, unless we have a very good reason.

Take it for what it's worth -- personal experience of one couple who are independently Diamond on RCI and Elite on X.

Jane

We've sailed on both ships and Brilliance will always hold a special place in my heart being our first cruise. The size and connection with the ocean on Radiance class ships is something many ships just can't compete with. We've sailed on Brilliance a few times, but not since 2012, so can't comment on her most recent reviews ;). IMHO, the Equinox food is slightly better, but the crew on both ships have always been wonderful.

I'd go with the itinerary that you prefer first. We have visited both Malaga and Cadiz too, but not on transatlantics. If you're in Malaga for the Easter celebrations, the parade through the town is spectacular - not to be missed.