Hurtigruten south-north October or November?

Prince37

My wife and I are planning a Hurtigruten south-north 7-day trip along Norway's coast for October or November 2016 or 2017 (yes, a long way off!). I have done a fair bit of reading about the cruise line and feel quite clear about what is likely to happen, but I am wondering if anyone has any advice on a few points, please?

1. Cost-wise, early November is attractive but are there problems compared with October, e.g., too cold, too little daylight? October is not much dearer.

2. We are keen to see autumn (Fall) colours and are hoping that November (or October) is a good time for them.

3. We are thinking of going on MS Trollfjord as it is relatively new and comfortable and seems to have very good reviews. (We have been on one other cruise, with over 2,000 passengers, and believe we can cope with about 800!) Any other suggestions re alternative, comfortable boats or comments about MS Trollfjord?

4. As retired folk, we are contemplating a Mini Suite for reasons of space and comfort. Has anyone suggestions about what deck level and/or cabin/s? This far ahead, we might have a good chance of securing what we ask for.

Thanks a lot.

November will be colder than October of course, the days are getting shorter (on the plus side, more time for a chance of Northern Lights). There might not be snow yet, but it can still be rainy.

You can still have autumn colors in October but in November it is finished, particularly in the North where November is already the beginning of winter.

I have done this trip 6 times including one time at the end of September/beginning of October, you can see my trip report on my blog (starting here for the cruise part of this trip, then click on "message plus récent"). It might give you an idea of how advanced autumn is at this period.

I personnaly would pick October (and early October if possible). For a good winter trip, February or March would be better than November.

I've never been on Trollfjord so can't advise you on that. As for the cabins, I tend to spend most of my time outside on the decks or in the panorama lounge, so my cabin is mostly to sleep and shower. I usually don't splurge and I go for a low category cabin, so can't really help you there either, sorry!

We have travelled south to north (the better direction in our experience) on Midnatsol in October and saw the lights. I think November is a little late in terms of light, colour and weather, though it was snowing heavily at North Cape!

Like SarniaLo, we book low and cheap as we're hardly ever in the cabin. We also prefer not to pay-to-sway (the open water segments can be a little lively)!

We have done both ways and think S to N is more interesting, but with the N to S you get the excursion to the North Cape in the early morning which is very special. Check out the excursions if these interest you to help decide on direction. We love the Trollfjord and have always booked very early and gotten the only "M" suite....We enjoy the balcony for enjoying the scenery, a glass of wine, etc. There are a few perks with a suite, check them out on line or in the catalog. Others are correct that the suites are pricey and there is plenty of room in the lounges and decks for everyone, but we enjoy the balcony. I have seen the larger suites which have 2 rooms and they are very nice! Wherever you decide on a cabin, it is the trip that is fantastic, not the cabin.

I would go as early in the Fall as possible as you may find snow in the far north and certainly much shorter days.

I was just on the Bergen to Bergen trip on the MS Trollfjord this past May. It is a lovely ship, and I would second those comments above about going with the least expensive cabin possible. Starboard is better for less port noise. I was in 439 and was very happy with this cabin (inside). I was only there to sleep, shower and dress, and spent nearly all my time on deck or in the panorama lounge.

Thank you to all who replied to my message.

Thanks SarniaLo for your reply and for the excellent photos and detailed commentary of your trip.

Your advice, and that of others (digitl -- thanks, too), steers us towards a mid-late September trip in 2016, but starting from Kirkenes, that is heading south on MS Trollfjord (thanks janetcbl and Splinter).

As for cabin, as retired people we do like some comfort and are attracted -- despite the cost -- to a mini suite (and janetcbl the M looks excellent! MS Finnmarken has several for 16 Sep 2016 but Trollfjord has none left on 21 Sep), although an outside cabin such as a U or P is quite possible. Any comment on how these two categories compare? (The U costs more and I imagine it is a little larger.)

When travelling south, am I right in thinking a port cabin will give us views for times when we are in the cabin? I recognise it is also on the docking side and I am hoping that it is not too noisy when docking.

South to north, or north to south is clearly your choice, but can I suggest that you look at the times you arrive in the various ports and how long you spend in them before making the final decision?

We found Alesund and Trondheim, for example, to be better timed going north rather than south.

Dear digitl,

Thanks.

I don't know where/how to discover the times of arriving in the various ports, or what are the prime ones to see in daytime. Can you please direct me where to look and perhaps also make some further suggestions about which ports you think are best seen in daylight? At this stage, we are not thinking of taking many excursions -- the stopping times seem to make these awkward and also lots of reviews read so far are somewhat half hearted, but we are open to a small number if advised.

Have a look at http://www.hurtigruten.com/uk/repository/Traffic-info-service/schedule-and-traffic-info/?direction=Northbound&season=Autumn - I *thnk* this is the current timetable.

We enjoyed Alesund, Trondheim, Hammerfest and Tromso which will demonstrate that, unless you do the round trip, you will miss something!

We did the Trondheim tour*, Russian border, North Cape and Sea Eagle trips and enjoyed them all. Elsewhere, we walked into town.

*Not strictly necessary, but there was ice and snow on the ground and we thought it was the easiest way to get around and out of town.

Dear digitl,

Again, thanks, especially for the schedules link which is full of information with its hyperlinks to towns.

We are now contemplating the round trip Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen on MS Trollfjord, departing 15 September 2016. By changing to September, we hope to see some Autumn colours.

Given the larger cost of the round trip, we will probably take a smaller cabin rather than a mini suite, perhaps an outside U cabin. Do you know why U cabins cost more than P and so on? I am assuming it is because they are larger.

Good for you for taking the round trip! At this season on the Northbound voyage you will sail through the Hjorundfjord on day 2 and it is really beautiful. At this season you will likely see autumn colors and it is also the beginning of Northern Lights sightings.

I'm not sure the U cabins are that much larger than the P cabins. They are more expensive because they are higher up I think, which for me makes little sense because the higher up you are and the more you will feel the ship move. But I haven't travelled on MS Trollfjord and I guess these new ships are quite well stabilized so maybe not an issue. Take one as close to the middle of the ship as you can.

A disadvantage of the P cabins is that their window overlooks an ouside walkway, so you may find yourself with people outside your window.

The U and P cabins also have different layouts apparently, from the pictures on the website :

http://www.hurtigruten.com/en/schedule/ships/hurtigrutens-ships/ms-trollfjord/?tab=decks

The P cabins have 2 parallel berths while in the U cabin one of the berth is under the window. I think this last layout is nice during the day, but it might not work for everybody.

That is helpful and thanks for the encouragement. As new folk to Hurtigruten, we appreciate the advice and urging on, although I must say we are very enthusiastic about the prospect of a voyage up and down the Norwegian coast at an atmospheric time. We have previously done a roughly 7-day cruise up the coast of British Columbia and Alaska (the Inside Passage) and it was very beautiful, but of course there were no fjords!

The cabin choice is an odd business as the descriptions are, to say the least, incomplete. Most of the cabins are said to be 8-13 square metres and the photos are very similar, although you have carefully observed a layout difference between P and U cabins. That's something for us to consider.

Just now, we are waiting for a reply -- essentially asking Hurtigruten for a quotation -- to our inquiry. If they don't reply soon, we may go ahead and make an online booking. Is that what you would advise or is there a better procedure? Perhaps a phone call is the way to go? Are they responsive to requests for particular cabins, e.g., a midship U (or P) cabin?

Thanks, again.

Decisions, decisions! I know nothing about P or U as we only ever book low and cheap in N! We have always been able to select a particular cabin.

Have you access to a decent travel agent? We find it less expensive to book through them rather than direct with Hurtigruten. Check out flights yourself or with an agent as Hurtigruten are usually expensive.

And, just to make sure, you do understand that the show/entertainment is outside and not on the (non-existent) stage at 9pm?

Edited by digitl

Dear digitl,

Aha! If an N cabin (Deck 5) works out for us, we will save a chunk of money, so thanks for the idea.

We'd assumed that booking through Hurtigruten would be cheapest, so your advice re a travel agent is welcome. They are not open until Monday, our time, but we have sent them a message with our requirements.

As far as entertainment goes, we do like reading!

Thanks.

N/P/U cabin? I think you'll find that the recurring advice is that there's little time spent in the cabin other than for sleeping, bathing and dressing. It certainly is the case for us and, as I have alluded to before, with the likelihood of some fairly lively water, we don't 'pay-to-sway' with a higher deck cabin.

Good that you understand the 'entertainment'! Too many take the trip expecting a full on-stage show each evening and then get upset when they discover the reality that was actually made very clear in the brochure and online.

We were on the Midnatsol, a sister ship to tbe Trollfjord, and people who had cabins on the deck with the outside walkway generally had their curtains closed because of passersby. So other than perhaps a larger room, they didn't use the window for viewing.

I agree with the others about an inside room - we spent most of our time on deck or the lounge watching the scenery. And on other ships I've stayed in balconies and suites.

Dear digitl,

We're trying to obtain quotations for P and U cabins but we might also explore N cabins, given your encouragement, although as I've indicated we are interested in as much room as possible in our cabin. By the way (and it's a small point), the Hurtigruten website shows N cabins on MS Trollfjord are on Deck 6, as Deck 5 is the dining level and has no cabins. I'll let you know what we decide but just now the people we've contacted are taking their time to provide prices -- perhaps we're getting too excited and time seems to pass slowly!