Splendor 2.0 Upgrade

jwalk03

Just my 2 cents.....

Guys burgers is nice (have cruised on 2 ships with) but really I've had just as tasty burgers and dogs at the older style grills. I really don't think that Guys should be the primary decision maker for any cruise.

And to me the only CCL ship that I can call "beautiful" is Breeze! It's colorful but in a more earthy and tropical way. I really love that and wish that CCL would consider something like that as a future 3.0 or something.

Both Breeze & Sunshine are beautiful. The rest just meh.

Both Breeze & Sunshine are beautiful. The rest just meh.

I was on 'Sunshine' before the major upgrade and rename, not after so I didn't really know. I just don't remember what that ship was named before.

It seems to me like they may be changing directions and not paying for branded things like Guys when ships go into dry-dock. Perhaps another money saving strategy?

I do like the Splendor. We have sailed on her 23 days and have a cruise to Bermuda booked on the Spllendor. The chicken place above lido is good.

I was at a recent Carnival event and the word I heard was that Splendor was not scheduled for any 2.0 upgrades at this time... :( Sad as she has some great itineraries!

Same here. Bummer. Would like to see

Something other than the tired OLD ships on the west coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not if this is true or not but because of the design of the splendor there will be no guy's or the Rum and iguana bar on the lido deck .

Gary

Actually the Splendor would have no problem accommodating these venues. Splendor already has a burger station on Lido where Guy's is located on other ships and on the other side of Lido where the Blue Iguana Cantina would go is the pizza counter. There are also two bars that occupy the same footprint on Lido as the Red Frog Rum Bar and Blue Iguana Tequila Bar on other ships. I just sailed Splendor a couple of months ago and noticed how easy it would be to repurpose those areas with the 2.0 features.

For what it's worth I had a cruise booked on the Breeze for next year but it was changed to the Splendor due to Breeze going to Texas. While deciding to keep that cruise even though on the Splendor now, the Carnival agent that assisted me with the change over mentioned that Splendor is getting 2.0 features during dry dock next year. I could not get her to spill the beans on which ones but she insisted there would be some new surprises on the Splendor.

Edited by Eng23

For what it's worth I had a cruise booked on the Breeze for next year but it was changed to the Splendor due to Breeze going to Texas. While deciding to keep that cruise even though on the Splendor now, the Carnival agent that assisted me with the change over mentioned that Splendor is getting 2.0 features during dry dock next year. I could not get her to spill the beans on which ones but she insisted there would be some new surprises on the Splendor.

Well that is encouraging! I think I am leaning toward booking the Splendor either way and will just hope for the best on the upcoming dry dock.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on the Splendor twice and I loved it.

For our Spring cruise (2013) the retractable dome came in handy as it was cold leaving New York. This made the Lido deck usable and swimming possible.

As mentioned the layout lends itself to the Guys, Iguana, and Red Frog upgrades.

The one thing I would like to see is the slide replaced with new ones. The single one there now is adequate but nothing special. I hope if they go through the process of adding the Lido upgrades they will also fix this.

Have any of the upgrades been confirmed yet?

I have been on the Splendor twice and I loved it.

For our Spring cruise (2013) the retractable dome came in handy as it was cold leaving New York. This made the Lido deck usable and swimming possible.

As mentioned the layout lends itself to the Guys, Iguana, and Red Frog upgrades.

The one thing I would like to see is the slide replaced with new ones. The single one there now is adequate but nothing special. I hope if they go through the process of adding the Lido upgrades they will also fix this.

Have any of the upgrades been confirmed yet?

In a separate thread a few days ago, someone mentioned that John Heald stated in his blog on August 11 that there were no plans for a Guys on Splendor. As to the rest of the 2.0 upgrades during Splendor's maintenance downtime next year.... who knows?

Edited by joepeka

In a separate thread a few days ago, someone mentioned that John Heald stated in his blog on August 11 that there were no plans for a Guys on Splendor. As to the rest of the 2.0 upgrades during Splendor's maintenance downtime next year.... who knows?

It's true what you say about who knows what will be done. I know that a Carnival rep on the phone is not the most reliable source for dry docking news. I think we all know that John Heald isn't always right either. I agree with a few others that it doesn't make sense to not put a couple of the 2.0 features on during a dry docking, as far as the length of the dry dock period it's amazing what work can actually be done in a short period of time.

It's true what you say about who knows what will be done. I know that a Carnival rep on the phone is not the most reliable source for dry docking news. I think we all know that John Heald isn't always right either. I agree with a few others that it doesn't make sense to not put a couple of the 2.0 features on during a dry docking, as far as the length of the dry dock period it's amazing what work can actually be done in a short period of time.

Oh yes, I totally agree with you. In fact, I saw interview a while back (not sure when it was posted or dated) with the Hotel Director on Splendor and he said it would be getting the 2.0 stuff during it's next maintenance period. However, there's been other vague or contrary info so until it happens, I guess we just speculate. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

It absolutely amazes me that anyone might select a ship to take a cruise on by whether it has a burger joint or not!!! I for one don't go on vacation to eat a hamburger.....now lounge on the heated ceramic beds in the Cloud 9 spa...well tha's another story altogether!

• 1 month later...
It absolutely amazes me that anyone might select a ship to take a cruise on by whether it has a burger joint or not!!! I for one don't go on vacation to eat a hamburger.....now lounge on the heated ceramic beds in the Cloud 9 spa...well tha's another story altogether!

It amazes me anyone would cruise to lounge on a heated ceramic bed. Everyone has preferences.