Playa Mia, Nachi Cocum or Mr. Sanchos?

FLIP FLOP GAL

Would love to hear your thoughts on which spot might be best for my day in Cozumel...

We are planning on doing the glass bottom boat and then spending the day at a beach resort. As of right now, I've looked at Playa Mia, Nachi Cocum and Mr. Sanchos.

My family consists of myself, my wife and our two little ones (2.5yrs & 7 months). My toddler will enjoy playing in the water, sand and pool/kiddie pool area. As for our little one, we just want lots of shade...and I fear that a basic umbrella/palapa won't be enough. We will want yummy food (nachos, chips & salsa, guac, etc). We aren't planning on traveling with car seats, so, ideally a place that easy public transportation goes to (busses, coaches, etc). Cost not an issue.

Ready...go!

Taxi is about the only way to get to/from Mr. Sanchos and Nachi Cocom. Unless you bring car seats cross those off of your list.

Playa Mia is likely your best bet - sometimes there is a ship sponsored tour there that includes transportation.

Playa Mia has shuttle service from the ports' date=' so that would solve your transportation needs.

We're going to Playa Mia for the first time in a few weeks, so I can tell you about shade options when we get back![/quote']

You have to be sure and let me know about your Playa Mia experience!!

Also, did you book through the Shore Excursions Group?

Thanks for the info!

You have to be sure and let me know about your Playa Mia experience!!

Also, did you book through the Shore Excursions Group?

Thanks for the info!

Yes, we booked through them. I'll let you know how it goes when we get back. We're sailing Aug 17.

I'm subscribed to this thread, so If I forget :( just post here to remind me ;)

www.ShoreExcursionsGroup.com has an excursion to play mia that includes transportation' date=' and I believe it is a shuttle, and they don't need car seats.[/quote']

Well the taxis don't "need" car seats - but most parents aren't comfortable without one. I'm not sure I'd want to be in a shuttle either. In either case you are holding an unsecured child in a motor vehicle.

So let me change "ship sponsored" to "organized" excursion.

Well the taxis don't "need" car seats - but most parents aren't comfortable without one. I'm not sure I'd want to be in a shuttle either. In either case you are holding an unsecured child in a motor vehicle.

So let me change "ship sponsored" to "organized" excursion.

There actually is a difference between taxis and bus type shuttles. Taxis are designed to need a car seat for safety. Busses often don't have seat belts, and you can't use a car seat; they are designed to absorb the impacts without relying on seat restraints.

We went to Playa Mia on our last cruise - booked through the cruise. It was myself, husband and son, then 8. We had a great day, there was a great inflatable water obstacle course in the sea (life jackets provided) though this would probably not be suitable for your toddler. And great pools, including one with loads of stuff for smaller kids as well as the bigger slides. They also had a piñata party for the kids and made a good job of ensuring the little ones had a good go. The food was fine and all drinks were included. As for shade, we were away from our loungers nearly the whole time doing stuff, but they definitely had some shade and the dining area was covered. You wouldn't get to do everything Playa Mia offers with such young children, but there will be plenty for them to do. The place also seemed clean and we got there on a bus.

Busses often don't have seat belts' date=' and you can't use a car seat; they are designed to absorb the impacts without relying on seat restraints.[/quote']

For people who can sit upright on their own.

Holding an infant poses a lot of risks. Especially if traveling at faster speeds. I would hold an infant on a city bus; I would not do so on a bus that reaches highway speeds.

A shuttle is often just a 12-18 passenger van; not a full size bus, anyway. They don't have the safety ratings buses do.

(In the United States, however, the NHTSA guidelines do not say it is safe to transport infants and toddlers without restraint systems; including on buses. As more headstart school services are provided this has become more complicated to transport young kids to schools. Not requiring restraints starts for school aged children.)

Edited by skittl1321

We have been to all of these places you listed. I have complete reviews listed in my signature line (and they are lengthy) and have tons of pictures in them if you are interested in checking them out.

Out of the 3 you listed, I think Playa Mia is your best option (especially with the ages of the children).

My wife and I have done Paradise Beach probably a half dozen times (take a cab & pay as you go) and had great food & drinks at reasonable prices - awesome service & facility.

Last cruise tried an RC excursion to Playa Mia (transport, food & drinks included) and we really weren't impressed with the buffet and we couldn't get drinks at any of the regular bars - we had to go down to the one kind of lame shack down by the beach with draft beer only & a couple of random frozen type drinks.

Facility was nice but we missed Paradise Beach and paid more than we would have for sure given we felt like second class citizens on this trip.

Anyone know if Mr. Sanchos is the same as Playa Mia as far as only one place to get beverages? Food thoughts?

Anyone know if Mr. Sanchos is the same as Playa Mia as far as only one place to get beverages? Food thoughts?

You should have an assigned waiter at Mr. S plus you can enjoy the swim-up bar. Unless something has changed or there is an overly large crowd you order your food from the menu.

• 2 weeks later...

Off to read mitsugirly's review of mr. sanchos. Is that newer? I thought I'd read most of yours for our ports! ;)

It's not a "newer" review. It's actually 6 cruises ago. :D We were at Mr Sanchos in December of 2013 I believe. Since then they have added another pool in the AI side from what I've seen and heard and I tried to look up pictures the other day and it looks like they might have gotten new furniture as well. :) So, it might have changed a bit since I was there, but the review will still give you a bit of an insight to the place.

Haven't been to the others but just returned from Nachi Cocom and it was great. Very quiet, beach was clean and nice and sandy. Water was actually wonderful as well - nice and sandy in the shallows and got deep enough to actually swim around.

If you're a snorkler it also has the best rock I've ever seen in the Caribbean (I'm also a diver). juvenile angel fish,a bunch of your "standard" Caribbean fish, a nice big file fish, couple lobsters, hermit crabs and another crab I couldn't identify, possibly a frog fish and an octopus eating a conch. Couple of reef squid even swam by.

And I left my U/W camera on the boat because I didn't see a reason to bring it :( .

Edit - oh the food was very good too. got a plate of fajitas and it was fantastic. wife and kids like their food as well.

Edited by CT Sean

We're headed to Nachi Cocum in November. There are 9 of us-my parents, husband and 5 kids (ages 21-6). We're a pretty quiet bunch for the most part so I was okay that it wasn't a "spring break" atmosphere. When I read the reviews of some of the other beaches sometimes they looked like people soup. Just massive amounts of people and little places to sit together by the water. I was worried about keeping an eye on my 11, 9, and 6 year olds in the large crowds of people too. There are 6 ships in port when we will be there so that solidified our decision. Can't wait to visit!

Weighing Playa Mia vs Mr Sanchos.

Playa Mia less money' date=' but Sanchos has horse add on my kids would like.

@mitsugirly Have you had any issues with getting a 3 year old to either site re: no car seat?[/quote']

There are ship's excursions to Playa Mia - no car seats required on the bus. You'll need a car seat for a taxi to anyplace else. I would bring my own to ensure that it is properly sized, maintained, and installed correctly.

I'm so glad to find this thread!

Hoping PrincessArlena'sDad posts when he gets back about shoreexcursioneer.com I am having a terrible time finding out info about them.

Off to read mitsugirly's review of mr. sanchos. Is that newer? I thought I'd read most of yours for our ports! ;)

Hi! We're back.

We booked through http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/ not shoreexcursioneer.

Everything went very smoothly, and we had a great time! However, they don't put you in a shuttle bus, they put you in a minivan taxi, with others going at the same time as you. When you get off the ship, you walk to the end of the pier, through the shopping area, to the street (this is a long walk, but unavoidable regardless of how you book the excursion, or what excursion you take). You cross the street, and walk about a minute to the Playa Mia store (right past the drug store). You check in here and get your wristbands, and they put you in the taxi. When it was time to go back to the ship, they get a taxi for you, pay the driver, and take you back to the port.

Playa Mia was great. It was pretty empty the day we were there. There were 3 ships in port (Carnival Paradise, Carnival Freedom, and Oasis of the Seas). There were plenty of tables in the shade. Beach chairs were all in the sun, unless you rented an umbrella. Whenever we wanted shade, though, we just sat at a table in the shade.

The obstacle course was AWSOME. My 6 yr old ran around the thing and had a blast, and LOVED the trapeze. My 3 yr old couldn't do much of it, but still loved bouncing on it, and he enjoyed the trampoline most of all. People were constantly falling off of it (which is why life vests are required, and included) and everyone would help pull everyone back on. Everyone working together to get around it made it even more fun!

The pool they have was very nice and relaxing after the workout on the obstacle course. The toddler water play area is really nice. The twister slides they have are ok; my kids went down them once to try it, and that was it. They liked the one on the Paradise better. They also have a changing room and showers. Lockers are $5 + $5 refundable deposit.

We also used the peddle boats (non-motor boats are included, motor boats are extra).

Swimming out to the obstacle course is a workout in itself, especially if you have to tow a little one with you. My wife and I each had one of the little ones hold onto the back of our life vest as we swam out there. There is no way they could have made it on their own. My 14 yr old was fine, and she is an average swimmer.

We only had a few hours there, so we didn't eat anything there, nor did we see anyone else eating, so I have no feedback on the food.

We would absolutely go there again! http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/ is an American based company with a good cancellation policy, and they price matched prices we found on the internet.

As to whether you should pay for the transfers or just take a cab when you get there: it is nice not to have to worry about bringing extra cash to pay for the cab each way, or having to tell the taxi driver where to go. If you have a small party, cost will be about the same. For a large party, paying for transfers in advance would be more.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions!

Edited to add: we were at the Carnival pier (Puerto Maya I think it was called. They have 3 different piers).

Edited by PrincessArlena'sDad

Hi! We're back.

We booked through http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/ not shoreexcursioneer.

Everything went very smoothly' date=' and we had a great time! However, they don't put you in a shuttle bus, they put you in a minivan taxi, with others going at the same time as you. When you get off the ship, you walk to the end of the pier, through the shopping area, to the street (this is a long walk, but unavoidable regardless of how you book the excursion, or what excursion you take). You cross the street, and walk about a minute to the Playa Mia store (right past the drug store). You check in here and get your wristbands, and they put you in the taxi. When it was time to go back to the ship, they get a taxi for you, pay the driver, and take you back to the port.

Playa Mia was great. It was pretty empty the day we were there. There were 3 ships in port (Carnival Paradise, Carnival Freedom, and Oasis of the Seas). There were plenty of tables in the shade. Beach chairs were all in the sun, unless you rented an umbrella. Whenever we wanted shade, though, we just sat at a table in the shade.

The obstacle course was AWSOME. My 6 yr old ran around the thing and had a blast, and LOVED the trapeze. My 3 yr old couldn't do much of it, but still loved bouncing on it, and he enjoyed the trampoline most of all. People were constantly falling off of it (which is why life vests are required, and included) and everyone would help pull everyone back on. Everyone working together to get around it made it even more fun!

The pool they have was very nice and relaxing after the workout on the obstacle course. The toddler water play area is really nice. The twister slides they have are ok; my kids went down them once to try it, and that was it. They liked the one on the Paradise better. They also have a changing room and showers. Lockers are $5 + $5 refundable deposit.

We also used the peddle boats (non-motor boats are included, motor boats are extra).

Swimming out to the obstacle course is a workout in itself, especially if you have to tow a little one with you. My wife and I each had one of the little ones hold onto the back of our life vest as we swam out there. There is no way they could have made it on their own. My 14 yr old was fine, and she is an average swimmer.

We only had a few hours there, so we didn't eat anything there, nor did we see anyone else eating, so I have no feedback on the food.

We would absolutely go there again! http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/ is an American based company with a good cancellation policy, and they price matched prices we found on the internet.

As to whether you should pay for the transfers or just take a cab when you get there: it is nice not to have to worry about bringing extra cash to pay for the cab each way, or having to tell the taxi driver where to go. If you have a small party, cost will be about the same. For a large party, paying for transfers in advance would be more.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions!

Edited to add: we were at the Carnival pier (Puerto Maya I think it was called. They have 3 different piers).[/quote']

Wonderful information - thanks so much!!