My Alaskan experience

tamirpr

We just arrived home from our Alaskan cruise aboard the Carnival Legend. I am still just in awe of the beauty of Alaska. We booked this cruise because it is what my parents wanted to do for their retirement, to bring us and our kids. I was apprehensive, but was I so wrong.

If you are wondering if the excursions are worth it, do it. I'm thankful we got out there and did stuff instead of my usual walking around ports. I'm glad I listened to Budget Queen's advice and did the Tracy Arm excursion. The beauty of being that close to the glaciers brought me to tears. It makes you feel so small and insignificant in such a vast of beauty.

And whoever said a RT from Seattle was a waste and wouldn't let you see Alaska is just wrong. I understand there is a lot we didn't see, but I don't feel at all like I didn't experience Alaska. It was incredible.

Thank you for all of the advice and threads on this Alaska board. It really helped with our planning.

Glad to hear your personal experience about the RT from Seattle. I too have read so many comments about that and also about not choosing Carnival to do an Alaskan cruise. We always sail on Carnival, as it's an individual choice of ours. But after reading so many conflicting reports it became overwhelming in trying to plan this exact type of cruise. I looked at this last fall but sort of gave up and stuck to the caribbean itineraries and Bermuda this fall. But after reading your comments I'm inspired again to start the search again for next year! I do hope you will come back and do a detailed review when time permits, I would love to hear your experiences and helpful tips! :)

I'm outspoken :) and have been intolerant of posts who claim their cruises were superior because they didn't go with a sloppy second round trip Seattle trip. Every cruise is a compromise. I greatly enjoy the ease of Seattle cruises, which can offer a great trip. There can be some enhancements that could offer a superior trip- of which, I post the information on Tracy Arm.

Over and over for years and years and years :) ALL you see are raving positive posts about sailing Alaska. Makes no difference the itineraries- they are ALL enjoyed.

Never be swayed from your basic traveling choices and style. It's alarming to me, the posts that are written asking for choices to be made for them, or who only consider the popular tours, etc etc It is a disservice, There is so very much more.

We just arrived home from our Alaskan cruise aboard the Carnival Legend. I am still just in awe of the beauty of Alaska. We booked this cruise because it is what my parents wanted to do for their retirement, to bring us and our kids. I was apprehensive, but was I so wrong.

If you are wondering if the excursions are worth it, do it. I'm thankful we got out there and did stuff instead of my usual walking around ports. I'm glad I listened to Budget Queen's advice and did the Tracy Arm excursion. The beauty of being that close to the glaciers brought me to tears. It makes you feel so small and insignificant in such a vast of beauty.

And whoever said a RT from Seattle was a waste and wouldn't let you see Alaska is just wrong. I understand there is a lot we didn't see, but I don't feel at all like I didn't experience Alaska. It was incredible.

Thank you for all of the advice and threads on this Alaska board. It really helped with our planning.

I'm heading out to Alaska Seattle round trip in a month!! I have a question..It might sound silly but I'm going to ask it anyways! On the website, the website only offer the Tracy Arm Excursion with ports...but seeing as we cruise Tracy Arm for an entire day...I can book it for that day right? TIA!

Edited by maileehawj

I'm heading out to Alaska Seattle round trip in a month!! I have a question..It might sound silly but I'm going to ask it anyways! On the website, the website only offer the Tracy Arm Excursion with ports...but seeing as we cruise Tracy Arm for an entire day...I can book it for that day right? TIA!

Yes, that's the one. It's listed under a port day. It is so worth the money. Allen Marine does the tour. They are fabulous and love their job. They also did the whale excursion. I think the naturalist was more excited than we were when we saw the whales. :)

On the Tracy Arm excursion, they took us up close to the waterfalls, over to where a bear was on the shore, scooped some iceberg ice for us to hold, and got us pretty close to those glaciers.

So glad to hear you loved the trip. We have the Legend booked for next May and I am so excited. We are not cruising Tracy Arm but will be doing Glacier Bay. Dont know the difference but I know it will be beautiful. I know what you mean about bringing a tear to your eye. We saw the grand canyon this past May and it did the same to me. Did you take pictures you can share? Would love to see them.

It will be on your shore excursion list, under Juneau. Specifically labeled as Tracy Arm. This is assuming you have Tracy Arm on your itinerary. Must be cruise ship booked.

It will be on your shore excursion list, under Juneau. Specifically labeled as Tracy Arm. This is assuming you have Tracy Arm on your itinerary. Must be cruise ship booked.

My itinerary is:

Seattle, At Sea, Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle

Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan all give options to do the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer..or am I looking at the wrong excursion?

I am doing a roundtrip from Vancouver in a couple of weeks, and I am glad you don't think you missed anything doing a roundtrip. I am super excited for mine, and I have all my excursions booked, and I am ready to see Alaska :)

Does anyone know if there are any tours to Tracy Arm from Juneau on September 7th?

Adventure Bound and Allen Marine are the only vendors. Of course, your port time has to fit, with Adventure Bound, usually being at least a 7a-7p port time needed.

Does anyone know if there are any tours to Tracy Arm from Juneau on September 7th?

Depends how long you are in port while docked in Juneau. We will be docked 12 hours give or take so I had the time and booked directly with Adventure Bound. You need at least 10 hours in port as it is a long tour if you are leaving from Juneau preferably longer so you don't miss the ship!

My itinerary is:

Seattle, At Sea, Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle

Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan all give options to do the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer..or am I looking at the wrong excursion?

There is only one tour. IF you go ahead and "book" this, doesn't it come up with a date of operation and time? It has to be for all the same tour. There is only one "Tracy Arm". Sounds like- it's just multiple listings for the same tour.

Details- are vital to read descriptions. There can be two tour options. A round trip from Juneau, that takes up your port time, and a combo tour- that involves going to/from your cruise ship- which has Tracy Arm on your itinerary.

There is only one tour. IF you go ahead and "book" this, doesn't it come up with a date of operation and time? It has to be for all the same tour. There is only one "Tracy Arm". Sounds like- it's just multiple listings for the same tour.

Details- are vital to read descriptions. There can be two tour options. A round trip from Juneau, that takes up your port time, and a combo tour- that involves going to/from your cruise ship- which has Tracy Arm on your itinerary.

Thanks Budget Queen! I kept reading the details over and over and just skimmed the notes, my bad. Slack reader here. Figured it out! Thanks for your help!

Glad to hear your personal experience about the RT from Seattle. I too have read so many comments about that and also about not choosing Carnival to do an Alaskan cruise. We always sail on Carnival, as it's an individual choice of ours. But after reading so many conflicting reports it became overwhelming in trying to plan this exact type of cruise. I looked at this last fall but sort of gave up and stuck to the caribbean itineraries and Bermuda this fall. But after reading your comments I'm inspired again to start the search again for next year! I do hope you will come back and do a detailed review when time permits, I would love to hear your experiences and helpful tips! :)

My travel agent actually recommended a Seattle round trip. He said that airfare to and from Vancouver can be much pricier than to Seattle. Similarly one way flights and flying in and out of Alaska are expensive. Carnival has a product you enjoy and are comfortable with--go for it! You can always go back and see more. I booked Royal Caribbean and none of the experts recommend them either for Alaska. Plus, Carnival has great prices on balconies from which to enjoy all that gorgeous scenery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I emailed Allen Marine, but haven't heard back from them. I would really like to do the Tracy Arm! I'm hoping that Adventure Bound offers an option!

Sorry, Adventure Bound is out with your port time. You really need a 12 hour port time 7am-7p.

I have seen them more accepting of 8am port time, they don't return until about 6pm so the above mentioned 10 hour port time, isn't going to do it either.

You need at least 10 hours in port as it is a long tour if you are leaving from Juneau preferably longer so you don't miss the ship!

No, you actually need a longer port time, at least 11 hour. They now have been accepting of 8am port time- which you have to be first in line and scramble off the ship. :) They don't return until about 6pm.

13-i broke down and booked for next year, the last Carnival cruise of the season, leaves from Seattle and ends in Vancouver, goes to Glacier Bay national park. Me, the DH and our BF. all in our 60's and all really looking forward to a "legendary" cruise. The negative reviews i have read all seem to be personal dislikes, example=there were too many kids, so I choose the last cruise when the kids are back to school-the night clubs closed too early, you know, i dont know people who cruise Alaska for night clubs. 99 % are there to see the beauty of the land. The food wasn't good, it's Carnival food, and yes, i think the food on the legend has not been great in the past, but I wont starve, i dont cruise for the food either. turns out i wont pay more on the airfare than i do the cruise, but i will spend an equal amount doing excursions and sightseeing in alaska, vancouver and seattle, but i am thinking, that this is once in a lifetime, DH has been battling cancer, and I battle diabetes. So why not. You cant take it with you. Right?;)

So come join us!

Edited by marshhawk

13-i broke down and booked for next year, the last Carnival cruise of the season, leaves from Seattle and ends in Vancouver, goes to Glacier Bay national park. Me, the DH and our BF. all in our 60's and all really looking forward to a "legendary" cruise. The negative reviews i have read all seem to be personal dislikes, example=there were too many kids, so I choose the last cruise when the kids are back to school-the night clubs closed too early, you know, i dont know people who cruise Alaska for night clubs. 99 % are there to see the beauty of the land. The food wasn't good, it's Carnival food, and yes, i think the food on the legend has not been great in the past, but I wont starve, i dont cruise for the food either. turns out i wont pay more on the airfare than i do the cruise, but i will spend an equal amount doing excursions and sightseeing in alaska, vancouver and seattle, but i am thinking, that this is once in a lifetime, DH has been battling cancer, and I battle diabetes. So why not. You cant take it with you. Right?;)

So come join us!

In my opinion, the kids issue is not valid. There are no where near the numbers of kids sailing Alaska compared to the Caribbean. I would NEVER suggest anyone book based on that. Do, realize, you have chosen a cruise, with the worse potential weather of the season, doesn't matter what single reports have been, I'm referring to the general averages. Of course you can encounter superb weather. You just have more chance of the other. The other, negative, that clearly is big for my priorities is the lack of daylight, it is dark at 7pm. A few tours will also not be operating. On the positive- if you are a shopper, the discounts can be significant.

In my opinion, the kids issue is not valid. There are no where near the numbers of kids sailing Alaska compared to the Caribbean. I would NEVER suggest anyone book based on that. Do, realize, you have chosen a cruise, with the worse potential weather of the season, doesn't matter what single reports have been, I'm referring to the general averages. Of course you can encounter superb weather. You just have more chance of the other. The other, negative, that clearly is big for my priorities is the lack of daylight, it is dark at 7pm. A few tours will also not be operating. On the positive- if you are a shopper, the discounts can be significant.

Agreed. We went in July (high peak for kids) on Carnival. We took our three kids that were separated into three different groups. One night my kids were the only ones there. My teenager ended up with a group of about 8. The other two had maybe 20 kids off and on in the clubs. There aren't a ton of kids in the summer. I would venture to say 100% of the kids on the cruise were there with grandparents and parents.

The nightlife was dead. People are just tuckered. Ports at 7 a.m., lots of walking. People aren't partying and kids are in bed. At least that was our experience. I would most definitely pick a cruise that you are likely to experience the best weather as opposed to whether you might have to cruise with a few kids.

Also, we were told on two different tours that September is a bad month for viewing whales because they are already migrating (?) by then. Don't know if that's true but it's what we were told.

Also, we were told on two different tours that September is a bad month for viewing whales because they are already migrating (?) by then. Don't know if that's true but it's what we were told.

Absolutely wrong information. Humpbacks are in full force into Sept. Most don't start migrating until end of October into November. In fact Sitka, has their yearly Whale Fest, that is a big even, beginning of November.. http://sitkawhalefest.org/

Absolutely wrong information. Humpbacks are in full force into Sept. Most don't start migrating until end of October into November. In fact Sitka, has their yearly Whale Fest, that is a big even, beginning of November.. http://sitkawhalefest.org/

That's good to know for my friends cruising in September. One of the naturalists told us that they left the beginning of September, so be glad we picked a summer cruise. I asked another one since I had friends booked in September, and he said sightings aren't as good as in the summer. I have no doubt they blow smoke up my skirt most of the time. lol :rolleyes:

BQ, we really fell in love with Alaska and am pretty sure we will go back soon. Since you have gone so many times, what is your favorite time of the year to go?