Will rain cancel our helicopter/dog sled your?

amccon

We're looking to do the dog sled on snow in either Skagway or Juneau from the ship-Island Princess.

There are 3 vendors to choose from. But, I'd suggest you figure out your entire shore excursion list, then place the glacier dog sledding where it fits best. IF this tour is your ONLY priority, then book it at your first opportunity. IF canceled, then immediately see if any later tour openings the same day- then call direct- vendors in the next port for possibilities.

We're looking to do the dog sled on snow in either Skagway or Juneau from the ship-Island Princess.

Here are my photographs from my Skagway dog sledding excursion and I must say it was an ultimate high to be splattered with snow from all of those running paws:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/skagway/dog-sledding/

The dog sledding camps move as the temperatures rise during the summer so photographs of the surrounding locations will be different.

How many dogs can you pet in two hours and how many puppies can you hold?

Thanks for the info and pics. We have 3 to pick from that are ship excursions. One in Skagway, and two in Juneau. I'm leaning toward the one on Mendenhall, as we might do the train ride in Skagway with my parents. The dog sledding is my husbands only wish for Alaska, I just wanted to land on a glacier. He's a dog lover, and I love the snow. So we'll book this one first. Any other info you can give would be greatly appreciated, as this is our first cruise to Alaska, all the others have been to the Caribbean.

Thanks for the info and pics. We have 3 to pick from that are ship excursions. One in Skagway, and two in Juneau. I'm leaning toward the one on Mendenhall, as we might do the train ride in Skagway with my parents. The dog sledding is my husbands only wish for Alaska, I just wanted to land on a glacier. He's a dog lover, and I love the snow. So we'll book this one first. Any other info you can give would be greatly appreciated, as this is our first cruise to Alaska, all the others have been to the Caribbean.

There are 3 vendors in Juneau, the Mendenhall Glacier sled trip is with TEMSCO. BUT, this glacier isn't any better/worse than any of the others, just more known. You may want to compare all three and find the one that fits your time best. ERA and Coastal are the other 2 vendors.

Thanks. Also, what kind of shoes/boots would you recommend?

If you are going for a walk on Mendenhall Glacier, you will be provided all outerwear to include boots (you leave your shoes and backpacks at the vendors helipad office) and gloves. When you arrive on the glacier, you will be fitted with spiked crampons and given a spiked stick to help you walk on the ice. The glacier will have a thin layer of water running over the very sharp ice and there will be a brief class on how to walk with the crampon and walking sticks to keep you from hurting yourself with the spikes.

For dogsledding, you will be provided boots and a bright orange vest.

It would be a good idea to bring sunglasses to reduce the glare and put a polarizing filter on your camera lens for more vivid photographs.

FWIW the helicopter drops you off for both excursions and flies away to pick up more passengers. There may be a fleeting feeling of abandonment when you see no means to return to the ship nearby.

there is another vendor that not many people are aware of.....outside of Anchorage on the Knik glacier....this year, they will only have Iditarod and Yukon Quest mushers working there. Call the Knik River Lodge as it will be run out of there.....I think it will be a nice product....

So I am like another poster where this is my #1 excursion to do in Alaska. I will be so devastated if I get all the way to Alaska and this trip is canceled.

I have yet to book my cruise or even settle on an itinerary, and the main reason is because I'm trying to determine which one will be best for this excursion. I want to have the most opportunities to go on this tour if it does get cancelled at one port. Is TEMSCO the company I want to choose since they have a few locations? Also, which month will be the driest? As I stated in my other post, I really wanted to go in August or September....

So I am like another poster where this is my #1 excursion to do in Alaska. I will be so devastated if I get all the way to Alaska and this trip is canceled.

I have yet to book my cruise or even settle on an itinerary, and the main reason is because I'm trying to determine which one will be best for this excursion. I want to have the most opportunities to go on this tour if it does get cancelled at one port. Is TEMSCO the company I want to choose since they have a few locations? Also, which month will be the driest? As I stated in my other post, I really wanted to go in August or September....

Southwest Alaska is in a rain forest so rain is to be expected. The driest months are April - May. August and September have higher rainfalls over the past years which means low-hanging clouds. The biggest helicopter excursion stoppers are low-handing clouds/fog and high winds.

Predicting Alaskan weather even from day to day is like throwing a dart at a target.

If you choose to dogsled in Juneau and it is cancelled, there is always whale watching. In any case, cancelled excursions will get you a full refund if booked through the ship and should also from dockside vendors.

Southwest Alaska is in a rain forest so rain is to be expected. The driest months are April - May. August and September have higher rainfalls over the past years which means low-hanging clouds. The biggest helicopter excursion stoppers are low-handing clouds/fog and high winds.

Predicting Alaskan weather even from day to day is like throwing a dart at a target.

If you choose to dogsled in Juneau and it is cancelled, there is always whale watching. In any case, cancelled excursions will get you a full refund if booked through the ship and should also from dockside vendors.

I've done whale watching in Vancouver before, and saw humpbacks and orcas on that trip, so that's not a "must see" tour for me. The vendor would give you a full refund if you book through them and it's cancelled, correct? I never book tours through the ship as they always charge you more.

I never book tours through the ship as they always charge you more.
in general yes. However the surcharge will vary with risk and how far are taken away from the ship. Fog can trap a plane. A train can derail or have mechanical breakdowns. A gondola can have a mechanical issue.

Mt. Roberts tram is one I recommend buying at the dock. Just look up to see how low the clouds are before going up. It was the same whether I buy on the docks.

Is this a tour where you just book it and cross fingers that it's a go or do you book your cruise during a specific time of the year to really try and make the tour? With April and May being the driest months, I wish I could go then, but there's noway I can do a cruise that soon this year.

Should I still go this year or wait to plan for Alaska in 2017?

As I already have said, do NOT book any cruise in Sept, with this priority.

No, you don't need to book TEMSCO in Juneau. The other 2 vendors are also long time excellent vendors. TEMSCO is the only vendor in Skagway.

Is this a tour where you just book it and cross fingers that it's a go or do you book your cruise during a specific time of the year to really try and make the tour? With April and May being the driest months, I wish I could go then, but there's noway I can do a cruise that soon this year.

Should I still go this year or wait to plan for Alaska in 2017?

I never "put off" what I can do- now. :)

With the glacier dog sledding a priority, the most chances will be with a one way cruise and being in Seward. With 3 chances- you have very good chances of being successful.

I never "put off" what I can do- now. :)

With the glacier dog sledding a priority, the most chances will be with a one way cruise and being in Seward. With 3 chances- you have very good chances of being successful.

I'm confused by what you are saying...what do you mean with 3 chances?

Do you also recommended one tour over the other?

And is there a certain cutoff time in August where you would not want to cruise if you wanted to attempt this tour?

I'm confused by what you are saying...what do you mean with 3 chances?

Do you also recommended one tour over the other?

And is there a certain cutoff time in August where you would not want to cruise if you wanted to attempt this tour?

Juneau, Skagway and Seward all have glacier sled dog tours. So three chances if you go to these places.

I would not consider past mid August which would take you into the 3rd week.

I've flown with all three Juneau vendors, but not on their dog sled tours. Don't have any favorites.

I understand that weather is unpredictable. Nonetheless, one wants to maximize odds of success.

Specifically, should one book a helo trek in Juneau in morning or afternoon to minimize risk of fog? Or rain?

Thanks!

I understand that weather is unpredictable. Nonetheless, one wants to maximize odds of success.

Specifically, should one book a helo trek in Juneau in morning or afternoon to minimize risk of fog? Or rain?

Thanks!

IF you have a long port day, then booking the first available time- and if you are willing to go single/split up, you "may" find a single, open spot later, BUT don't count on it. These tours run full- with advance reservations and tight schedules. You have a greater chance of only having the opportunity of your time frame. You need to confirm- your vendor doesn't have any more slots- then immediately get on your phone and call the others (if in Juneau) and inquire about any space they may have. Then call your next port for availability.

I have found the Seward vendors, having better walk up/late booking possibilities. Plus the above recommendation of Knik Glacier.

• 6 years later...
On 7/28/2015 at 11:52 PM, DentoAlaska said:

We just returned from our vacation and yes...our glacier landing/dog sledding was canceled due to weather. I was disappointed but not surprised after reading the posts on this forum. We were able to still do a helicopter landing on Mendenhall and walk around but the helicopter was unable to go to the dog camp. The dog camp is at a higher elevation so the weather was quite different there. It was still a great experience and I was glad that we were at least able to do a portion of the trip.

Were you given the option of canceling completely or just doing part of the trip and did you get a partial refund?