Viking Sky

palermo22

We are scheduled to go on a 22 day cruise (called Barcelona, the Baltic and Beyond) on the Viking Sky - departing Barcelona on April 15, 2017. Just wondering if anyone else is scheduled to take the Viking Sky before or after our cruise. I read that the Sky was originally scheduled to be completed in 2016 - now that has been amended to the Spring 2017. Obviously I am wondering if that will have an impact on our cruise. I don't know if our cruise is the Sky inaugural cruise or if there are a few before our cruise.

Our Med Oddyssey cruise ends in Barcelona the day yours starts--and it wasn't an inaugural cruise when we booked it. At least they will have done the itinerary the year before, so I am determinedly cheerful about avoiding some of the "shakedown cruise" woes posted here earlier this season!

• 2 months later...

Note to Palermo22 & What Empty Nest?

Not sure if I have contacted either of you before, but appears our paths will be crossing in about 18 months. If I understand the itinerary correctly, The SKY sets sail for the first time in Istanbul 25 March, 2017 with us (Robert & Sandy) aboard and the first to occupy cabin 7006.

Empty Nest ---- looks like you join us just a few days later in Venice. And Palermo22, we will turn the ship over to you in Barcelona.

Let's all hope for good weather, and a great cruise. We were on the sister ship STAR from Bergen to Stockholm in May of this year. If the SKY lives up to the STAR, we are all in for some great times.

Robert

I am disappointed that the Sky has had a delayed launch date. We were hoping NOT to be on the ship quite that early on in her life....hopefully Viking will not have the glitches that happened on the Star.

We are on the Barcelona/Baltic....

• 2 weeks later...

CORRECTION: I previously noted that the Viking Sky sets sail for the first time in Istanbul on 25 Mar, 2017. I Just learned that the inaugural cruise will be 04, Mar 2017 from Barcelona. Guess we will NOT be the first to sleep in our beds when we board in Istanbul 25, Mar. Interesting that the East bound from Barcelona bypasses the Croatia area in favor of Israel, but bypasses Israel and goes to Croatia on the West bound.

I am sure as well get closer to our cruise dates that there will be more detail about the when the Sky actually launches and hopefully we will have a leg up in that Viking will learn from past mistakes. We board on April 15, 2017 in Barcelona - for those of you boarding in March 2017 (or before) - are you required to have the full fare paid by 12/31/15?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes Palermo, final payment is indeed due 12/31/15. Guess Hagen may need the money to defend his bribery lawsuit filed by Norway for seeking favors from the mayor of Bergen at the time of the christening of the Star. -:)

So we will turn the wheel over to you in Barcelona.

• 1 year later...
In the process of booking Mediterranean Getaway on Sky - Rome to Barcelona.

Is this the first cruise?

Viking doesn't make it easy to see the schedule of one ship but with some digging on cruisemapper (which is not always accurate) and the Viking website, it does seem that February 25 will be her first cruise for the public.

Based on the launch of the other ships, she will be turned over to Viking a week or two before she sails, she will then sail to Venice to pick up guests who have been invited to participate in the "shakedown" cruise (a practice cruise, if you will) before she picks up her first paying passengers on February 25 in Rome.