Mt. Roberts hiking trails

marshhawk

Tell me about the Mt. Roberts trails that you can hike once you take the gondola up the mountain. I want to do some hiking and some photography. Last review I read the hikers saw some snakes (:eek::eek:) but she was talking about her DH's hike, she didn't go. Is it possible to spend 2*3 hours up there?

Yes we've hiked it as a family multiple times. The trail up gets a little rough once you've gone past a couple of miles but the views are great. My kids always like to hike up until they find snow, which may be problematic this year.

Tell me about the Mt. Roberts trails that you can hike once you take the gondola up the mountain. I want to do some hiking and some photography. Last review I read the hikers saw some snakes (:eek::eek:) but she was talking about her DH's hike, she didn't go. Is it possible to spend 2*3 hours up there?

If they saw snakes, I hope they took a picture. There is a claim that there are no snakes in Alaska. If you Google it, some say there are only common garter snakes in Alaska. The Alaska Dept of Fish and Game does not list any snakes in their list of reptile species. I used to play with garter snakes when I was a kid. They put out a foul odor, but are harmless. You might try to document it if you see one, apparently that would be a rare sighting.

We spent at least 2 hours at the top of the tram. We started on the Alpine trail and then diverged off to "the cross" - you'll see the signs. It is steepish in places, but it is very pleasant and a good view. Amazingly, there was a woman pushing a stroller up to the cross. I do not know how she did it, as it is rocky and steep in places, but she managed. We certainly did not see any type of snake and I would not have been happy if we had as I hate them. After the walk, we watched the film in the visitor center and then went back down. We had been to Mendenhall in the morning, and did the tram in the afternoon at about 2:00 - there were no lines at that time.

• 1 month later...