EPIC in December?

I'm considering a 10 day on the Epic in December and just wondered if anyone done similar that time of year and how they found places like Naples, Rome and Barcelona and the sea? I did a Costa one December years ago and from memory it was fine, just be interested to hear any thoughts :)

This will be the first year the EPIC will be in Europe for the winter, so no one can really answer your question.

Christmas decorations will be going up at the end of November but other than that it will be the same cruise as what is going on now.

I'm aware that it's the Epic's first time, however I thought people may have sailed the Spirit or Jade in recent Years around December and had some thoughts. As I said I did it on another line years ago and seemed to recall it being okay, I was just hoping for a more recent idea.

We were in Barcelona in February which is as cold as it will get I would estimate. We did the canary Islands . it was jacket weather for sure everywhere we went but no rain or snow. No pool time. I would never go on the Epic (different cruise) with those stupid bathrooms again.

Edited by darienill

We were in Barcelona in February which is as cold as it will get I would estimate. We did the canary Islands . it was jacket weather for sure everywhere we went but no rain or snow. No pool time. I would never go on the Epic (different cruise) with those stupid bathrooms again.

Hi

What's the problem with the bathrooms?

My husband and I will be doing the December 10 Day Epic Sailing. We are expecting the weather to be in the 50s F and probably a bit rainy, but not anticipating snow and ice. We were on a B2B on the Epic for a 2 week September Med Cruise a couple of years ago. On those sailings the ship stopped at Cannes and Marseille. This time it goes to Sardinia and Sicily. More of a closed loop sailing, stopping only at Italian Ports and not going to France. We are hoping for calm seas like we had that September but realize it can get rough at any time of year.

This will be our 6th time on the Epic. We stayed one week in a balcony, 2 weeks in a minisuite and the other 3 weeks in Haven Suites. Never had an issue with any of the bathrooms.

Hi

What's the problem with the bathrooms?

There is no sound barrier between the whoosh of the toilet area and the room. If you get up at night, it's real noisy. When you step out of the shower you are in the hall by the door. There is a curtain there. The tiny sink is next to the bed.

There is no sound barrier between the whoosh of the toilet area and the room. If you get up at night, it's real noisy. When you step out of the shower you are in the hall by the door. There is a curtain there. The tiny sink is next to the bed.

Oh I see thanks. I can see that annoying some people but I'm sure I could live with it :-)

My husband and I will be doing the December 10 Day Epic Sailing. We are expecting the weather to be in the 50s F and probably a bit rainy, but not anticipating snow and ice. We were on a B2B on the Epic for a 2 week September Med Cruise a couple of years ago. On those sailings the ship stopped at Cannes and Marseille. This time it goes to Sardinia and Sicily. More of a closed loop sailing, stopping only at Italian Ports and not going to France. We are hoping for calm seas like we had that September but realize it can get rough at any time of year.

This will be our 6th time on the Epic. We stayed one week in a balcony, 2 weeks in a minisuite and the other 3 weeks in Haven Suites. Never had an issue with any of the bathrooms.

Great KS thanks for the response. Just what I was looking for. That cruise is one of the ones were considering :)

We were on the Jade last December doing the Eastern Med - we had perfect weather the entire time (bright but jackets required for warmth). Absolutely no rain at all.

We only noticed the movement of the sea on one day - the rest of the time we could have been sailing across a lake. But this was because we'd managed to luck out and avoid any bad weather.

The Christmas stuff hard started going up before we go onboard and while we were there they started putting out these huge (fake) gingerbread houses.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't understand what the big deal is regarding the bathrooms and why people won't actually go on the ship because of it. I can understand if you are rooming with someone you don't know very well but with a spouse and kids I don't see an issue at all. It's nice that someone can take a shower while someone else is using the bathroom (and a third person can be using the sink). A lot of European bathrooms have separate toilets (which is great when you only have one bathroom).

• 3 weeks later...
Its going to be cold at night no pool weather by no means

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've managed to persuade the hubby to get us Spa Passes so we can lounge on the heated loungers and read our books instead as I want expecting to be anywhere near the outside pools in December, BBBbrrrrrr :)

We were on the Jade last December doing the Eastern Med - we had perfect weather the entire time (bright but jackets required for warmth). Absolutely no rain at all.

We only noticed the movement of the sea on one day - the rest of the time we could have been sailing across a lake. But this was because we'd managed to luck out and avoid any bad weather.

The Christmas stuff hard started going up before we go onboard and while we were there they started putting out these huge (fake) gingerbread houses.

Hi BrianC,

Do you think they will have all the xmas decs out by the 9th December or do you think they will put up after our sailing on the 19th?

Thanks

Hi BrianC,

Do you think they will have all the xmas decs out by the 9th December or do you think they will put up after our sailing on the 19th?

Thanks

I'm hoping they go up on my voyage which is prior the one arriving into BCN on December 9th. They should go up after Thanksgiving so they'll start appearing on my sailing and be up by the time you arrive for yours. :)

I'm aware that it's the Epic's first time, however I thought people may have sailed the Spirit or Jade in recent Years around December and had some thoughts. As I said I did it on another line years ago and seemed to recall it being okay, I was just hoping for a more recent idea.

I did Jade Eastern Med in Jan and Spirit Canaries the previous December. However I don't recall NCL doing Western Med previously. The only crossover port with the Eastern Med itinery in Jan was Naples, which was p1ssing down all day. And Rome which was fine on the way out, and grey on the way back.

• 1 month later...

Most Europeans live in much smaller homes, apartments etc... than we do;)