Alaska Railroad question

pina colada girl

Hello everyone - We are planning to cruise Alaska May 30, 2016 Northbound on Norwegian Sun and plan to take the railroad from Seward to Anchorage. Could anyone please tell me how to get from the railroad station to the airport in Anchorage? Are they far apart or close? We have never been to Alaska before and are just learning about all of the things to see and do and are just starting our research to get travel options. Any advice is really appreciated. Thank you.

Hello everyone - We are planning to cruise Alaska May 30, 2016 Northbound on Norwegian Sun and plan to take the railroad from Seward to Anchorage. Could anyone please tell me how to get from the railroad station to the airport in Anchorage? Are they far apart or close? We have never been to Alaska before and are just learning about all of the things to see and do and are just starting our research to get travel options. Any advice is really appreciated. Thank you.
When we took the early morning train from Seward to Anchorage, it went right to the airport.

But that was several years ago.

If you are taking the early morning train that is booked directly with the cruise line, it may still do that.

Worth checking out.

Edited by fleckle

For clarification, cruise contracted trains do go to the airport, but I don't believe NCL had any this year? These trains always leave around 7am and cost more than the regular run.

IF taking the regular 6p departing train from Seward, it goes to the Anchorage train depot. Allow 20 minutes for the transfer, and budget $30+++

As general information- for anyone leaving from the airport when taking this trip, HAVE to have a 1am flight or later. You can NOT count on this train being on time, and it takes time to unload and claim your luggage. Cruise ship days, result in an extremely busy airport, needing a 2 hour window there. Don't shortchange your time.

Thanks for your post to this question, Budget Queen. I have a similar question about the train choices and wonder if you could breakdown the options we have. We will be sailing into Seward on Celebrity Millennium June 3, 2016 (an active mid 50's couple on our first Alaskan cruise). It sounds like we will have an option to book through Celebrity to take an early morning train but we do like the idea of spending some time in Seward and don't want to have to wait until the November train schedule becomes available to us. If flight cost drops (flight from Minnesota), we want to book immediately. We know there is a 6pm train for anyone to book. If we take the 6pm train, where in Seward can we store our luggage? Lastly, I am somewhat confused about the different train options: names, companies, routes. Could you organize a bit for me. I'm sure your experience will help us all to fully understand Alaska train travel better. (ex: Wilderness Express, Premier Alaska, Alaska Railroad: where do they go, for who, schedules...?). I have enjoyed your comments on these Alaska boards/forums and thank you for your to-the-point replies,

Deb from MN

Thanks for your post to this question, Budget Queen. I have a similar question about the train choices and wonder if you could breakdown the options we have. We will be sailing into Seward on Celebrity Millennium June 3, 2016 (an active mid 50's couple on our first Alaskan cruise). It sounds like we will have an option to book through Celebrity to take an early morning train but we do like the idea of spending some time in Seward and don't want to have to wait until the November train schedule becomes available to us. If flight cost drops (flight from Minnesota), we want to book immediately. We know there is a 6pm train for anyone to book. If we take the 6pm train, where in Seward can we store our luggage? Lastly, I am somewhat confused about the different train options: names, companies, routes. Could you organize a bit for me. I'm sure your experience will help us all to fully understand Alaska train travel better. (ex: Wilderness Express, Premier Alaska, Alaska Railroad: where do they go, for who, schedules...?). I have enjoyed your comments on these Alaska boards/forums and thank you for your to-the-point replies,

Deb from MN

In Seward, you can check your bags at the depot, official open time is 10a, but, I've seen them open earlier. Once you check your bag- you have no access to it until Anchorage. If you take a boat tour, there is baggage storage by the vendors.

As for the train- ONLY refer to the official Alaska RR site- IF you are looking to book independent. There is only ONE company. Those= "fancy" names- are cruise contracted cars, that are hooked on the ONE train, operated by the Alaska RR.

The Alaska RR, does NOT list any cruise contracted trains, which run only the day the ship is in port. Must be booked through the cruiseline. Usually more costly than the regular run.

Routes Anchorage/Seward- which is the most scenic. Anchorage/Whittier, Anchorage/Talkeetna/Denali/Fairbanks. Clear descriptions online to refer to. There are additional tourist train options from Whittier and Talkeetna.

Any ideas for luggage storage? Since the depot does not open for storage until 10am, that will not work for us. We plan to shuttle out to Windsong Lodge for their Exit Glaicer hike that starts at 8:30am. We could do a 1:30pm glacier tour but then would need to find our own transportation out. What are the transportation options if we choose this route?

Any ideas for luggage storage? Since the depot does not open for storage until 10am, that will not work for us. We plan to shuttle out to Windsong Lodge for their Exit Glaicer hike that starts at 8:30am. We could do a 1:30pm glacier tour but then would need to find our own transportation out. What are the transportation options if we choose this route?

The Lodge should store your bags.

There is a shuttle service, across from the RR Depot, located in an old train car. http://www.exitglaciershuttle.com/