Back from Caribbean Princess 4/3/04

Twinzcruz

Reading the reviews of fellow passengers is like talking to people at the airport when you return from your cruise. Everybody is on the same ship but everybody has a different opinion. My opinion is I am on vacation and I don't let little problems get in the way of my enjoyment.

This was our 9th Princess cruise and the second inaugural sailing. We too experienced difficulties with PC the first couple of nights but made standing reservations for a table for 2 for the remainder of the week, which does defeat the idea of Personal Choice. This seemed to be an issue mainly for tables for 2. We had excellent service and our meals didn't last more than an hour to an hour and a half. The food was excellent as usual and the wait staff seemed to get there act together after the second night. We did eat at the Cafe Caribe two nights. There was a plentiful salad bar,several Caribbean entree choices and multiple side dishes each evening. We ate there on the first formal night which was their Lobster and Seafood buffet and had the best lobster we ever had on Princess. We never experienced a wait at the Horizon Court buffet even though it was quite busy during main breakfast and lunch hours. They could use more toasters but for the most part it was very smooth. We did miss the Horizon Court buffet dinners that have been discontinued, since they offered the same menu items as the dining room. Now you only have Cafe Caribe buffet for a no charge dinner alternative.

The Movie Under the Stars had the same movie all week and did not interfer with surrounding deck areas. The movies are by reservation only, and the viewing area is restricted but you can still walk through the pool area on either side.

We were surprised that with so many evening entertainment options that finding seats in the Princess theater was not a problem, right up to show time. Comedian Sarge was histerical. Can't miss being Bertified at Crooners Bar.

Overall this was another excellent Princess cruise. They seemed to overcome the first night gitters pretty quickly and by the end things were Princess' usual best.

After 24 cruises we enjoy every cruise we are on and take things in stride. Can't wait for number 25.

Pat & Pam

hi,
is the Caribe Cafe the same idea as the Horizon? We will be travelling with young children and thought we would eat one or two nights in the horizon. We didnt know it was not open for dinner.
Also, should we make a standing reservation for the PC or can we do it daily as the number of people we are will differ as we are a family reunion?
thanks?
Suzanne

Pat and Pam

Maybe some day we will have the pleasure of cruising the same ship you are on with your great, positive attitude.

Thanks so much for your take on the CP's innaugural.

On the Horizon Court at night you say it's the same menu as the dining room? So its the same but buffet style?

Thanks again

Happy Cruising

Chris

[url="http://www.LifeIsCruising.com"]www.LifeIsCruising.com[/url]

Next up:
Caribbean Princess 06/26/04
Star Princess 10/24/04
Carnival Victory 12/19/04
Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Just one question regarding tables for 2, are they difficult to get under PC or is it easier to get a table for 2 in traditional dining.

thanks for any insite you can offer

Senation-98
Spirit-02
Legend-03
Legend-04

I don't mind hearing about the little or big things that weren't quite right but would never let them ruin a cruise. But on an first cruise you can expect a few gitches. Other than a hole in the hull you couldn't discourage me.

Roger - Caribbean Princess -May 15, 2004.
Marco Polo 1999
Sensation 2001
Galaxy 2002
Pride 2003

What were the percentages by age on this ship?
Alot of children? Alot of Seniors? 20's to 40's?
or Baby Boomer age group?
Would like to know...for my own future reference .Thank you in advance [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Suzanne,
Cafe Caribe is the same ida as the Horizon Court used to be but with a Caribbean flavor. I thought it was excellent, lots of items to choose from. You can do PC reservations daily but I would do it early in the day, and be flexible with dining times.

Chris,
The Horizon Court did have some of the same menu items that were on the dining room menu each evening, but buffet style. Unfortunately they do not use the Horizon Court for evening buffets any longer. Only the Cafe Caribe buffet.

Maybe we will sail someday on the same Princess ship. They are our favorites.

robbie2201,
We were told that there were no tables for 2 in the Traditional dining, and the ones in PC are actually tables for 4 that they use for 2.

Kruisey,
I am not sure of percentages. There was a wide range of ages. This sailing had a lot of spring breakers so I don't know if there are always a lot of 19-24 year olds.

Pat & Pam

I think I almost have this:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The Horizon court is buffet for breakfast and lunch but table service for dinner?
<LI>If you want a buffet at for dinner the only option is the Caribe Cafe?
<LI>The Horizon court still has two sides?
<LI>Where is the Caribe Cafe?
[/list]

I really do think I am getting close to understanding this

Happy Cruising

Chris

Next up:
Star Princess 10/24/04

You're getting close, Chris! Horizon Court for buffet breakfast and lunch. On other Princess ships, the Horizon Court is also open for a dinner buffet but [B]not[/B] on the Caribbean Princess. On the CP you must go to the Cafe Caribe for buffet style dinning. They refer to it as "table service" but all that means is that the table is set with cloth, glasses and silverware - you still go "buffet style" to fill your plate. They do not have the same things that are offered in the dinning room, at least they did not on the one night we went there. It is located directly behind the Horizon Court. Hope this helps...Carol

16 cruises and still counting...

Hi Chris,

You almost have it. The Horizon court is a buffet for breakfast and lunch but has no dinner service, buffet or table service.

The only dinner option is the Cafe Caribe buffet.

The Horizon court still has two sides.

The Cafe Caribe is located behind the Horizon Court where the bar and open deck with tables and chairs used to be.

Pat & Pam

Oh thanks so much

Didn't that seem odd that the Horizon Court was closed at night?

Happy Cruising

Chris

Next up:
Star Princess 10/24/04

If the Cafe Caribe is the only dinner (no charge) option other than the dining rooms, do they offer us non-seafood fans a choice of a main entree? I'm not a fan of lobster, shrimp, etc.... I know, I know, shocking, isn't it? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

JJ
Caribbean Princess 5/1/04
Star Princess 5/24/03
Sun Princess 6/12/00
Carnival Fantasy 1/18/98

Tables for two ARE available in Traditional Dining. As a matter of fact one of them was empty after the second night!!!

Personally I found it interesting to see how the staff overcame the "glitches". I find it interesting that some people were expecting perfection on a maiden voyage. I think it is important to keep in mind that it was the first day--every day-- for everyone on board the ship.
I had a wonderful time!

You guys are great! It will seem funny not being able to slip into the Horizon Court after a late show though. As long as the Cafe Caribe has food, I guess it doesn't matter. It will seem funny though. This is fun picking up bits and pieces of info from each post. Thanks so much. Since the Cafe Caribe is aft of Horizon, which deck is the aft pool on? The next deck down?

Twincruz, thanks for your review. Can you make a reservation for PC dining early in the morning for that evening and possibly still have a long wait?

Caribbean Princess 7/03/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Is the Horizon Court Buffet open most of the day (for breakfast and lunch) like on the Grand and Golden or are there set times now?

How late is the Cafe Caribe open at night and what type of food did they serve? Can you just slip in side for a late night dessert and coffee?

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year" value=2004><param name="month" value=07><param name="day" value=17><param name="hour" value=17><param name="minute" value=00>
</applet>
Navigator of the Seas 7/17/2004

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="year" value=2004><param name="month" value=12><param name="day" value=26><param name="hour" value=17><param name="minute" value=00>
</applet>
Jewel of the Seas 12/26/2004

<param name="year" value=2005><param name="month" value=02><param name="day" value=26><param name="hour" value=17><param name="minute" value=00>
</applet>
Caribbean Princess 2/26/2005

[img]http://www.alcodesigns.net/cruiseshipani.gif[/img]

Archived