Any restaurants walking distance from port in Venice?

pattycat1

Hello-

We are all set to sail on the Constellation on August 9 out of Venice. We are so excited!

We are flying in that morning from Atlanta (I know, I know-always a risk but it is non stop and we arrive around 9 AM). We have arranged a private taxi to pick us up at the airport and take us to the cruise ship port. We have visited Venice before and are thinking of just dropping our bags at the port and walking around to grab a quick bite (cichetti) and grab a couple bottles of good Italian wine to bring on board. Is that possible? I know about the people mover from previous posts, but we are trying to stay away from St Marks, Rialto, etc because I've been in Venice when cruise ships are there and it is crazy busy!

Has anyone just walked around that area before, and if so, what is it like? And, can we drop off our bags before we "officially check in"? We are in a sky suite and according to the documents, we can check in any time between 11:30 and 3:00, roughly. We should be at the port before 11:30. Help!

Thanks!

You will have to use the people mover to get to an area where you can walk to some restaurants. As for dropping off your luggage you do that before you enter the hall to check in so I am sure if you wanted to drop off our luggage and head for the people mover there would be no problem.

Having been to Venice several times before there is no problem walking around. The Rialto area and St. Marks area can be walked to if you want but those area are father away from the people mover. Once you exit the people mover go across the bridge by the train station and just a little farther are some outdoor restaurants.

Edited by Bobocasey

Hello-

We are all set to sail on the Constellation on August 9 out of Venice. We are so excited!

We are flying in that morning from Atlanta (I know, I know-always a risk but it is non stop and we arrive around 9 AM). We have arranged a private taxi to pick us up at the airport and take us to the cruise ship port. We have visited Venice before and are thinking of just dropping our bags at the port and walking around to grab a quick bite (cichetti) and grab a couple bottles of good Italian wine to bring on board. Is that possible? I know about the people mover from previous posts, but we are trying to stay away from St Marks, Rialto, etc because I've been in Venice when cruise ships are there and it is crazy busy!

Has anyone just walked around that area before, and if so, what is it like? And, can we drop off our bags before we "officially check in"? We are in a sky suite and according to the documents, we can check in any time between 11:30 and 3:00, roughly. We should be at the port before 11:30. Help!

Thanks!

The port is all industrial...but, the Peoplemover will get you to Piazzale Roma--the transportation hub...From there, you can get a Vaporetti to almost anywhere...but, if you just want to walk and stay local, take one of the bridges to the Railroad Station--across the Grand Canal (actually, if you take the newer bridge that goes directly from P. Roma to the RR Station, you would just continue past the front of the station on your left and keep walking...that street you are on becomes Lista d'Spagna) ...If you are standing at the canal looking towart the RR Station, to your right is a street called Lista d'Spagna...Walk along that and you will find assorted shopping and several casual, reasonably priced restaurants...Some even with outdoor seating and no extra charge for the outdoor table...It's an easy walk from Piazzale Roma...This area is not particularly touristy--you will avoid the crowds at S. Marco and Rialto and stay a lot closer to the port...

Edited by Bruin Steve