Best Port For...

ronandannette

• Whale Watching
  • Bear Sightings
  • Zip Lining

Our Southbound itinerary includes stops in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) and Ketchikan. Many, if not all of these excursions are available at every port. Please give me YOUR opinion on where to do each of these, if we intended to do only one tour of each type and each on a different port day. TIA!

fyi.... you can do all that if you arrive in Vancouver or if you miss your opportunity in Alaska.

Thanks anyway but we've been to Vancouver tons of times. Touring from there is most definitely not on our agenda.

• Whale Watching
  • Bear Sightings
  • Zip Lining

Our Southbound itinerary includes stops in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) and Ketchikan. Many, if not all of these excursions are available at every port. Please give me YOUR opinion on where to do each of these, if we intended to do only one tour of each type and each on a different port day. TIA!

Whale watching is out of Juneau and Hoonah, 100% sightings of humpbacks, black bears- Ketchikan Traitor's Cove and Neets Bay, Hoonah for brown bears

we did the Grizzly Falls Ziplining in Skagway and enjoyed it immensely. But didn't look into it anywhere else, as we had other excursions planned in other ports, plus no interest in anything other than zip lining and rock climbing in Skagway.

we did the Grizzly Falls Ziplining in Skagway and enjoyed it immensely. But didn't look into it anywhere else, as we had other excursions planned in other ports, plus no interest in anything other than zip lining and rock climbing in Skagway.

I'd love to hear more about the rock climbing you did in Skagway.

Was this a private excursion? How much previous experience was needed?

Thanks,

Mary

I'd love to hear more about the rock climbing you did in Skagway.

Was this a private excursion? How much previous experience was needed?

Thanks,

Mary

Mary,

it was a ship's excursion, I did it through Princess, but I am sure you could arrange it privately. It was called Klondike Rock Climbing and Rappelling, but the vendor is Alaska Mountain Guides. They have a website, you can see lots of pictures on it.

My granddaughter(almost 11) had climbed on interior "walls" and she did great - scaled all the way to the top. There was a young man in our group of 3 who had climbed before and he climbed up at various points 4 times I think. I "tried" in 2 spots, couldn't get very far, but it was my limitations (I had never done it before, and am lacking in flexibility). And we all rappelled down - what an experience.

The ship says anyone at least 6 can do it - I'm thinking they put 6 because of height and weight restrictions. I think there was an upper weight limit of 300. The path from the van drop off point is a steep, hiking type path - most people will be using a hand to trap a root, or edge of a rock. We only had the three of us in our group. Our guide James says when they have more people each group of 4 has a guide.

Genessa, that sounds like a great excursion, but maybe more than we want to do.

When we were in Skagway several years ago, we did a self-guided hike to Lower Dewey Lake (got directions from this board :) ) which was wonderful, then walked around town, lunch at the Red Onion, afternoon round trip on White Pass & Yukon RR. It was a wonderful day!

This time, we're thinking about the Hike & Float the Chilkoot Trail (either through the ship or privately), but Skagway is a long port day, so we are looking for another option also.

Thanks for sharing the details!

Mary

Edited by Mary loves to travel

Genessa, that sounds like a great excursion, but maybe more than we want to do.

When we were in Skagway several years ago, we did a self-guided hike to Lower Dewey Lake (got directions from this board :) ) which was wonderful, then walked around town, lunch at the Red Onion, afternoon round trip on White Pass & Yukon RR. It was a wonderful day!

This time, we're thinking about the Hike & Float the Chilkoot Trail (either through the ship or privately), but Skagway is a long port day, so we are looking for another option also.

Thanks for sharing the details!

Mary

Mary,

I forgot to mention, for me, one of the high points of the rock climbing. The wall that we rappelled down overlooks part of the Whitepass train line. The view from up there was amazing.

if the rock climbing sounds too much, have you thought about zip lining? We did that through the ship with Grizzly Falls in Skagway. Ziplining in morning, rock climbing in the afternoon. It is 11 lines, and loads of fun. they have you do two short practice runs, and then the fun starts. They try to put everyone in groups of 5, so my granddaughter and I ended up with a young couple and her father. None of us had ever been zip lining before and we all had a blast. And from what I could see, all the groups had a fabulous time. They had us all trying different things while crossing - hands free, flips, dance moves, a trust fall. For about first 4 or 5 I was still a little nervous and just went across, but then I felt super comfortable and "went" for the rest of it. We had so much fun that I'm ready to go again, but I'm afraid they might have spoiled me.

Genessa,

you have really gotten me to broaden my thinking - Thank you!

We did a zip-lining excursion years ago in Puerto Vallarta, as part of a Carnival Cruise, when zip-lining was just becoming a "thing". It was wonderful, and our experience was much as you describe. We, too, felt spoiled afterwards.

I hadn't thought about the views that might be available with zip lining.

really appreciate your thoughtful answers.

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

We had a wonderful experience last week with whale watching in Juneau. On our whale watch with Harv and Marv's, we saw three different groups of humpbacks and a number of breaches. It was spectacular. We were lucky to have Captain Liz, who was competent and extremely knowledgeable. We had just three passengers on a 6-passenger boat so we each had great space for viewing.

In Ketchikan, we took a fantastic floatplane trip to Traitors Cove with Island Wings. The flight was smooth in both directions and we had excellent bear viewing. We saw six bears, including one cub. Several of the bears stuck around for the entire two hours we were on the viewing platform and our small group had the platform to ourselves for almost the entire time we were there.

I realize we were very lucky. The group that preceded us at Traitors Cove saw a few bears, but there was a lot less activity than when we were there. And whale watches can be hit or miss as well. But based on the experience we just had, I'd highly recommend Juneau whale watching and Ketchikan bear viewing. But be sure to pay attention to the best months to visit the various bear sites around Ketchikan and time your trip accordingly. I was a bit worried about Traitors Cove because after I booked, some on this board said I would be there too early in the season to ensure bear sightings but it obviously worked out for us.

Good luck with whatever you decide!