Umbrellas for chairs

pretykym

I think people should bear in mind that photosensitivity is an increasing problem for many people. I suffer from it and believe me its not a laughing matter. I bring a stable portable sun umbrella with me on vacation, because of need not some indulgence. In fact, in my experience, there is a distinct lack of umbrellas in many US hotels and cruise ships and of course sunbathing is just leading to exploding rates of skin cancer worldwide.

so in my humble opinion, someone seeking to bring sunshade with them should not be subject to jokes, restrictions etc. Or told to bring a hat! (totally insufficent for many) For people like me, its a serious handicap, if I dont have serious shade, I cant be outside.

So please be careful of insensitive and ignorant remarks.

I don't want to sound rude but........... There's plenty of shade onboard without bringing your own. If a person has the type of problem you're indicating, they shouldn't be putting themselves in direct sunlight when it's avoidable which it is on most, if not all, cruise ships.

When you have problem being in the sun, it's generally a smart move to not sunbathe!

I don't want to sound rude but........... There's plenty of shade onboard without bringing your own. If a person has the type of problem you're indicating, they shouldn't be putting themselves in direct sunlight when it's avoidable which it is on most, if not all, cruise ships.

When you have problem being in the sun, it's generally a smart move to not sunbathe!

I think you are being rude, not deliberately but through lack of knowledge. Sometimes the shade available is sufficient for me, often it isnt, so I always need my own portable umbrella just in case. I also use SPF 70, one I am not allergic to, and wear a hat. I certainly do not sunbathe, I am completely covered, but I like to sit outside and read a book. I hope you are not suggesting I just stay inside.

I am sorry but you dont understand photosensitivity, it is not at all the same as someone who is light skinned and prone to burning. It is a serious medical condition and involves an allergic reaction to sun and/or heat, and causes swelling and pain. Indeed a sufferer who cannot even be out in daylight has just written a book describing her disability.

I dont think you would tell someone with another disability to "lighten up' so please do not dismiss something you have no knowledge of. The lack of knowledge and understanding is something that we who suffer from it have to deal with.

OK - this post must be a troll. This is akin to a Prohibitionist going to Mardi Gras and complaining about all the drinking. In the event you are not a vampire, then I submit that cruising is not for everyone. If you are photosensitive or photophobic, then don't cruise. There are some matters in which no accommodation is possible ... there will be sun.

I don't means to sound harsh, but the world is full of corners with sharp edges.

With that being said, I anticipate the deletion of this post in 10 ... 9 ... 8 ...

Cheers :) (because a smiley face makes it all better :))

I think you are being rude, not deliberately but through lack of knowledge. Sometimes the shade available is sufficient for me, often it isnt, so I always need my own portable umbrella just in case. I also use SPF 70, one I am not allergic to, and wear a hat. I certainly do not sunbathe, I am completely covered, but I like to sit outside and read a book. I hope you are not suggesting I just stay inside.

I'm sorry but I disagree. I am suggesting if you can't find a place with sufficient shade, you go look somewhere else or try again later. People who wish to sit in the sun frequently have to re-evaluate & return at another time to get their desired location. I don't see any reason why it should be any different for those who want the shade.

After all, it's something you WANT to do, not something you HAVE to do.

This is an extraordinary post, I put your original comments down to lack of information so tried to explain. But to suggest that someone who is photosensitive should not cruise at all and to talk of vampires is insensitive and ignorant beyond belief. I doubt you would suggest that people with other disabilities should not go on cruises?

And yes, life with photosensitivity and rosecea is an everyday battle, I cannot leave my home without sunscreen, hat etc. And there are increasing numbers like me, ironically mainly due to too much sun exposure. (I am actually quite dark skined and sunbathed a lot in my youth.)

I carry documentation from my dermatologist in case of necessity or explanation. But I try to lead as normal a life as possible and can assure you that were you to at all understand the nature of the condition, you would not so easily mock someone who suffers from it.

I dont wish to sit in the sun, thats the point, I need shade. Of course like anyone else if theres no loungers available, I simply come back later. If there is one available, then I see no problem with attaching what is a small umbrella to enable me to sit there. I doubt you would object to accomodating someone else with a disability, I always have a letter from my dermatologist in case of explanation needed.

I got involved in this discussion because there seemed to be a total lack of understanding that for a certain number of people, shade is not simply pleasant or a choice, its an absolute necessity. I have never contributed to a discussion on cruise critic before so am shocked at the aggressive response I have got when I tried to explain that some people need shade for serious medical conditions.

You obviously do not understand the condition, many people dont, but that is no reason to dismiss it or treat it trivially. I will retreat to my usual silence on cruisecritic, it seems I was right to fear that some people rush to judgement or abuse.

The dolls create a different type of problem. The wind can catch them and launch them overboard. A passenger can spot the doll flying through the air, and assume a passenger has decided to go for a deep sea drunken swim, and notify staff of man overboard. Then rescue maneuvers are initiated, and mass chaos ensues.

And then several cc threads emerge....wanting to know the outcome.....wishes prayers to the family of the victim.....berating the ubp.....bad parenting and spring break cruiser syndrome.....among other varied things. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am sorry but you dont understand photosensitivity, it is not at all the same as someone who is light skinned and prone to burning. It is a serious medical condition and involves an allergic reaction to sun and/or heat, and causes swelling and pain. Indeed a sufferer who cannot even be out in daylight has just written a book describing her disability.

I dont think you would tell someone with another disability to "lighten up' so please do not dismiss something you have no knowledge of. The lack of knowledge and understanding is something that we who suffer from it have to deal with.

Ok so people with nut and seafood allergies must be vigilant

I watch my sugar intake as a future precaution

So you can't be in the sun

Ok everyone has something so in your case you stay out of the sun

Done

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm an umbrella girl and have some of the chair umbrellas that clip on you your lounger. Anyone ever see these on board? Are they a no-no?

I once saw a woman who used one.

She positioned her lounge chair against the railing on the deck overlooking the pool, on the curve by the stairs so as to be unobtrusive and shielded. She also had bungee cords to secure the umbrella to the railing.

I would guess that she brought her little umbrella ashore as well.