Caye Caulker by Water Taxi

NewHampshire2010

Has anyone had any recent experience taking one of the water taxis (San Pedro Express or Caye Caulker Water Taxi) to Caye Caulker and returning to Belize City in plenty of time to catch their tender back to their ship? We would like to go to Caye Caulker for several hours while our ship is in port. We are not concerned about catching a ferry TO Caye Caulker but have read some stories about the ferries being unreliable on the RETURN to Belize City. If anyone has any recent experience with the ferries, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Edited by NewHampshire2010

Not sure if you'll be able to spend "several" hours there. But my suggestion is to know the return schedule for both services. Buy one way to and then again from, to keep flexible. Look at taking the 2nd latest ferry (one leaving earlier than last possible ferry) to ensure you're back in time. And do remember there can be a difference in Belize time and ship time. Belize is not on daylight savings time. Last tender to ship leaves on ship time, not Belize time.

No worries New Hampsire! The ferries are very reliable and a great way to get there. We did enjoy several hours on CC, we walked the town and then spent most of our time relaxing at the Lazy Lizard. Great spot with gorgeous water views, good food and excellent, cheap drinks. Our friends want to move back there!

Definitely one of our most relaxing days in Belize!

[EDIT]

WE almost opted for a later flight back to BC but were concerned about the taxi back to the dock. We would have gotten back to the dock at our BOB time and that was too close obviously.

But if interested take a look to see if that works for you as it's a nice way to go!

Edited by blue_water

Thank you both very much. We know we will have limited time on Caye Caulker but really want to go. We went on a snorkel excursion in 2011 and always have wanted to go back. We have a 2 year old now so snorkeling is not a great option this cruise but she will love wandering around the island. Good advice on buying one way tickets so that we can take either ferry back depending on their schedule and timing.

Crewsweeper - your advice about both Roatan and Belize helped us very much in planning our cruises in 2011 and 2012. We love both ports in part because we have had such great visits there. Your recommendations have been great. Thank you.

Edited by NewHampshire2010

Another couple and my DH and I did this water taxi to Caye Caulker on our cruise stop in Belize. We were one of the first taxi's off The Norwegian Jewel and ran through the terminal, out the door and to the left turning into the Ferry Terminal Building. Our delay was getting the computer there to print out our pre-paid tickets which we both bought through their website. There were no times on our tickets, just the day you will be traveling to and then again from Caye Caulker. We were able to squeeze onto the 9:00 ferry which they held for us to get our tickets to print. It was so full none of us could sit next to each other and actually some folks threw a fit when we got on the ferry and demanded they be let off. They got off and we stayed on. It was a good 55 minute ride that day on choppy seas, but fun none the less.

We enjoyed several hours on the island, had a drink or two at the Lazy Lizard, and ate lunch at a nice place over the water. Then we went back to the dock to catch the 1:30 back to Belize City and then the tender back to the ship.

Edited by BigEasyCC

Thanks, NH2010. Appreciate the compliment.

I'd say the same (on advice) can be extended to bluewater; always good rec.

Thanks! ;)

Yes we also love Roatan (West End) and Belize (the cayes). We had always planned on looking for a vacation/retirement place in one of these two destinations, and we toured Roatan extensively when on a cruise there with that in mind. But we finally decided on building a home in Mexico for various reasons. The Riviera Maya is also the one place that my wife and I both love equally after several visits. So we'll have to drive to Belize and fly to Roatan but I guess we can handle that!

We're all very lucky to be able to travel!

NH be sure to try the Lizard Juice at the Lazy Lizard while relaxing on the upper deck!