Carnival new ships

cruiz30

Think OP was saying the competitors are coming out with new ships at a faster rate. Will be 4 years between new ships for CCL.

It was 4 years between new ships for RCI not so long ago... Allure of the Seas in 2010... Quantum of the Seas in 2014...

It is not the fact that Carnival has been behind the curve in regards to new ships. Many cruise lines such as Azamara offer excellent cruises on ships, which are quite frankly, quite old.

However....

Carnival used to lead the curve in the design of innovative new ships. It seems that they have fallen behind in that their ships appear to have become dated in regards to innovations.

I am not a fan of RCCL, I used to prefer Carnival. In fact, recently we were on Allure of the Seas and we were quite disappointed in the quality of food in the MDR and in the buffet.

However, in respect to the design, what the ship had to offer in regards to services, and entertainment, the ship simply blew us away.

Carnival does not have, or does not plan to have any ship to match these.

They appear to concentrate on price as compared to quality.

I read that Costa is getting 2-180,000 ton heavies. I wonder if Carnival is eventually going to send one their own way? Never been on anything over Splendor size, so I'm not sure if I'd like it. Truthfully I found the Splendor a bit too big!

I don't know if any line is going to build something like those Oasis class ships. I think the cost/benefit factor may make it more worthwhile to just let RCI have that portion of the market. RCI is already priced high, so it isn't completely changing their demographic. I do think the Vista is a nice size, and Carnival really should pump out a few of them to replace some of their aging fleet. I really wish Carnival would do something like NCL does on these ships with the studio rooms. Solo travel is an expanding market and it would be nice to have another mass market line that really caters to it. I also wish carnival would consider putting a Vista class ship in NYC. If I am going to fly to Florida for a cruise I am going to look at other options with more amenities. I'm the type that will sacrifice quite a bit for the convenience of booking last minute and being able to drive to port. I wouldn't even mind if they put all new builds in Florida and then maybe moved the Breeze to NYC. I think I'm just getting a little tired of the Pride out of Baltimore.

I read that Costa is getting 2-180,000 ton heavies. I wonder if Carnival is eventually going to send one their own way? Never been on anything over Splendor size, so I'm not sure if I'd like it. Truthfully I found the Splendor a bit too big!

I have been told and read that the Splendor was originally built for the Costa Line but changed and Carnival took it over. That is why the ship is somewhat different than most of the other ships.

I have been told and read that the Splendor was originally built for the Costa Line but changed and Carnival took it over. That is why the ship is somewhat different than most of the other ships.

it's true. Splendor was originally built for Costa. There were even rumors that they would transfer her back after the Concordia incident.