does looking good pay off

MrsMoose2001

I do take care of myself, work out daily, watch what I eat, dress well, etc. While certainly not a centerfold, I look damn good for my age! I really am not attracted to men that don't take the time to take care of themselves.

I hear ya. I certainly do NOT go along with this "male slob" trend that seems to be going on. It may mean I date less...but so be it. :cool:

I have to agree, men regardless of their looks, grooming, physical attributes, expect their women to be "arm candy". But women go along with it.

Sometimes I think even our weight is controlled by women not men, I had a friend (she moved away) who was a size 22 (nothing wrong with size 22), her husband met her, married her, loved her and didn't notice her dress size not being a size 6. They are happilly married with 2 children. She wanted to loose weight for health reasons as she was risking becoming diabetic but her hubby did not notice her dress size. We had discussions on that since we met in a "personal development" type of class we used to go to. Nothing to do with fashion or style or way of dressing class.

So when we look at magazines with women who are so thin they look anorexic we as a society have been conditioned to think "think is in". If

).

The bottom line is that women dress for other women not men. Women have imposed unreasonably thin standards on each other (after all Anna Wintour isn't hiring Emma for editorials, she's hiring Gisele) and ourselves.

If you've ever seen a true runway model in person, you'll realize that these girls are freaks of nature. Unkind way to put this but lack of better adjective. Being 5'11 and a size four is a size no woman can attain but genetics. And these girls are airbrushed in magazines!!!

It isn't men causing teen aged girls and adult women (anyone notice how dangerously thin the Desperate Housewives excluding Nicolett are??) to starve themselves and vomit to the point of death.

It is time to take men out of this equation as far as size is concerned and start policing ourselves.

Anybody ever check out the Mexican and Latin American Soap Opra's. They are full of "beautiful" people too. Though I think their women are more curvy and not nearly as rail thin as some American actresses.

It's funny how differently my husband percieves me. He doesn't buy clothese for me anymore because he always buys stuff way too small. Not really his fault because who know from one store to the next, I may take a small in one store or a medium in another, but for years he always would buy me the small. Also, my black lace dress, he found the whole outfit way too fussy. He likes more simple clothes. Also, whenever I get my hair cut, he never notices. I bought a hairpiece last year when my bob was growing out so that i could wear a pony tail in the back. I wore it about 20 times before he realized it was fake hair. When I went shopping for my cruise clothes over labor day, I tried to pick stuff that looked good on me, but not too fussy, so that he would like it too. He actually really "lit-up" when he saw the new gold dress that I bought. I think it was the simple lines with the little bit of sparkle that he liked.

On the other hand, he does really like the beautiful women on TV. He like Cameron Diaz, Alissa Milano and Marg Helgenberger. Blondes, Brunettes, Redheads, a long as they are beautiful, he likes them. He does think that the skinny gals Rene Zelwegger, ect, are too skinny, but he also thinks that Jennifer Lopez and Halle Berry are to big in the hips.

Men are just pretty funny.

The bottom line is that women dress for other women not men.

It isn't men causing teen aged girls and adult women (anyone notice how dangerously thin the Desperate Housewives excluding Nicolett are??) to starve themselves and vomit to the point of death.

It is time to take men out of this equation as far as size is concerned and start policing ourselves.

BlueHerons~ I agree with you totally on this one. DH could really care less what the size is on my dress, nor what the scale says for my weight. He just wants me to be happy about myself and if I am not, then do something about it. (Typical guy thinking, if something is not right, fix it and stop complaining) He does not set a standard for what is the right way for me to look, I do.

When I was younger, I felt that I needed to look thin. I thought that unless you looked like the women on the covers of magazines, that you were not pretty enough or successful enough for the real world. There was so much stress to be smart, but to also be very pretty.

Now that I am older I try to emphasize strength and health in my life. There is a balance to everything. There are times that I look at magazine covers and think that I would love to look like them... but do I want to live on lettuce alone? Or not be able to have a peice of pizza with my kids after soccer practice? If I do this, what am I saying to them. I feel that we all have our strengths and our own weaknesses. It is enough to worry about without making someone else's our own also.

I think that once you figure out what you are all about and strive for the best that you can be, then that is where true success is. Will I ever find a cure for cancer? Will I ever grace the cover of Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit Edition? No. But, at the end of day, am I proud of what I accomplished for the day? That is what I measure my success by and it works for me.

Does looking good pay well?

Well, in some cases, yes and in others, no. It depends on your career. Someone who is in the spotlight whose face is 'out there' for everyone to see, it does matter. That person is the 'face' of the business. I do not think you would see someone like Jessica Simpson doing the evening news, but someone clean and well groomed would fit the profile (Maria Schriver).

Now, in construction, I do not think that looks matter. Your success is based on your knowledge and strength. So here in this career, it is not as important.

It all depends on what you do. Now, in the celebrity world (American version), which is a totally differnet animal, there are 'rules'. If you want to make the big bucks, you need to look the part. These people have personal trainers, chefs, stylists... to make them look good and stay that way. That is what the job is. If they are banking on their looks for their career, they will have a short lived career. There had better be a backup plan. So many do not, so they resort to plastic surgery and other drastic measures to prolong their career and lifestyle. That is their choice. Is it fair? Maybe not, but some of these actors and actresses make millions of dollars. Compared to the average person's wage, that is a lot of money!

There are injustices everywhere in the world and it is so easy to point the finger and say that someone does or does not deserve what they have. It has a lot to do with who you know (Tori Spelling) ,chance (Kelly Ripa), and hard work (Jewel). They are in their positions for a reason and for some reason, are doing okay since they are still working. It works for them!

Archived