Port of call - Seward not Anchorage

Spideysmum

Hi - first time post/first time cruise. We've booked a 14 day Seattle to Seattle HAL cruise for next summer. We noticed that Seward is the port - but thought there might be at least a shore excursion to Anchorage (husband writes for a local craft beer publication) and he wanted to grab a specific beer tour there.

I tried asking the HAL website agent...but since we booked through my own agent - I'm just referred to them. On the current year's cruise - the port is Anchorage and the beer tour is offered; since it's too early to even see what the excursions will be next year - I was just wondering if anyone on this board could tell me what the parameters are to getting into and back from Anchorage. I'd rather do a cruise line sanctioned tour/transport because of embarkation timing.

Sorry if this sounds a bit premature - on the TripAdvisor boards I'm known for my lack of patience and needing to book as soon as an idea enters my head. :)

Edited by Host Walt
Minor correction requested by Spideysmum

Hi - first time post/first time cruise. We've booked a 14 day Seattle to Seattle HAL cruise for next summer. We noticed that Seward is the port - but thought there might be at least a shore excursion to Anchorage (husband writes for a local craft beer publication) and he wanted to grab a specific beer tour there.

I tried asking the HAL website agent...but since we booked through United Cruises - I'm just referred to them. On the current year's cruise - the port is Anchorage and the beer tour is offered; since it's too early to even see what the excursions will be next year - I was just wondering if anyone on this board could tell me what the parameters are to getting into and back from Anchorage. I'd rather do a cruise line sanctioned tour/transport because of embarkation timing.

Sorry if this sounds a bit premature - on the TripAdvisor boards I'm known for my lack of patience and needing to book as soon as an idea enters my head. :)

Seward to Anchorage is 126 miles (203 km) It took us about 4 hrs by motorcoach with a stop for lunch from Anchorage to Seward..

IMO you would be wise to do a HAL tour, if you only have a one day layover in Seward..If they have the Beer tour this year, I would think it would be a popular one & they would also have it next year..

Welcome to Cruise Critic..

Edited by serendipity1499

Hi Spideysmum,

I dont usually do ship sponsored tours, but in this case, I agree with doing a HAL sponsored tour. The drive from Seward to Anchorage is very long and the Seward Highway, which you have to take to get to Anchorage, is notorious for traffic being hung up for hours on end if there is a car accident or other police issue.

We were once stopped for 3 hours in our rented vehicle, as the highway traffic was stopped due to a state police manhunt. We were all out of our cars meeting other travelers as we knew we were not going anywhere anytime soon.

In this case, HAL guarantees that you get back on the boat if they sponsor it.

You will love your Alaska cruise!

Edited by pmjnh

I tried asking the HAL website agent...but since we booked through United Cruises - I'm just referred to them. On the current year's cruise - the port is Anchorage and the beer tour is offered; since it's too early to even see what the excursions will be next year - I was just wondering if anyone on this board could tell me what the parameters are to getting into and back from Anchorage. I'd rather do a cruise line sanctioned tour/transport because of embarkation timing.

Sorry if this sounds a bit premature - on the TripAdvisor boards I'm known for my lack of patience and needing to book as soon as an idea enters my head. :)jm

Hi I'm booked on the 5/23/16 14 night seattle to seattle my doc lists Anchorage. This is same as 2015.

Are you certain you are sailing from Seattle?

If you booked a 14 day that is 7 days northbound and 7 days southbound (a back to back cruise totalling 14 days) yes you will dock in Seward.

(The Maasdam will be doing 14 days R/T Seattle, no duplicate ports, and does appear to dock in Anchorage)

I'd stick with a HAL excursion, rather than try to get to Anchorage on your own. Sorry.

Edited by CowPrincess

Hi everyone...thanks for your quick replies. I just looked on the HAL website which gives the itinerary for August 15-29, 2016 and it does say Anchorage, Alaska, US. The booking we made through United cruises on the itinerary says Seward (Anchorage), Alaska for the same date. Now I'm confused.

Obviously I'd rather, for husband's sake, believe (hope) that the HAL website is correct and he can get the 4 hour beer tour without having to find transport from Seward to Anchorage. That would be so great. I would book a spa session if he went off beer tripping. LOL

Fingers crossed. First cruise - probably last as most of our holidays are DIY to Europe...but then you never know, now..do you?

Yep....on the Maasdam. Now I'm getting kind of excited about the whole thing. Husband's reason for agreeing to this cruise would be all the breweries he could visit in Alaska. There is a Midnight Sun brewery that is part of a tour - and I noticed it was part of the HAL's excursions for this year but limited to twelve. He was kind of bummed out at the whole Seward thing.

Therefore my focus now...is to keep watching when the excursions are announced (keep getting message that none are published yet) and book him asap when it happens.

Anyone have an idea when? I guess I'll have to go through United Cruises rather than HAL and I'm a bit miffed at the info about Seward they did have on their site.

Anyone have an idea when? I guess I'll have to go through United Cruises rather than HAL and I'm a bit miffed at the info about Seward they did have on their site.

Once shore excursions for next year have been finalized (which can happen a few at a time), then you can book them yourself; you don't have to go through your travel agent.

I would expect the excursions to start appearing in late fall for next season. As they do, you can book them on line, as long as you have your booking number.

I would be concerned about a travel agency that can't get the ports of call right. I would be wondering what else they are "confused" about. Do be sure your credit card payments are made to HAL, and not the agency.

I would be concerned about a travel agency that can't get the ports of call right. I would be wondering what else they are "confused" about. Do be sure your credit card payments are made to HAL, and not the agency.

Thanks Ruth...but I want to say that the mistake was mine. Apparently the dock in Anchorage is the "Seward" dock. I just got off the phone with the United Cruises (part of United Airlines which I wanted to use because of the many FF miles I'll get) and she clarified my confusion.

Husband is very relieved....bring on the breweries (or should I say - watch out Anchorage?)

I've sailed on this wonderful 14 day itinerary three times - it is truly spectacular! You've made an excellent choice for your first cruise!

Since your DH is interested in breweries, be sure he checks out the Kodiak Brewery and also the Homer Brewery when in those ports. (And if you enjoy Chai tea, be sure to accompany him to the Homer Brewery - they have THE best Chai tea ever - free samples, and you can also purchase a bottle to bring home with you!)