Luggage Overboard

DiMar

This is impossible for anyone who has to clear through the US immigration with

the hour wait that this invariably entails. By the time any from the UK reach the baggage claim, the conveyor has been emptied and moved into areas at the side of the claim.

However, the risk of theft is low when coming in from overseas because you are still inside customs. That means the luggage is still in a secure zone and the only people that have access are those on the aircraft. The biggest risk in those cases is someone grabbing the wrong bag by error.

The major concern is for US domestic flights where the baggage claim areas are outside of secure areas and someone could just come in off the street and access the luggage area.

I though if you fly the TSA does not allow you to lock your luggage. They will just break them off.

I always lock them when we are on a cruise.

Hi, Anna Marie -- We fly all the time with TSA-approved luggage locks. We've never had a problem with the ones built-in to our Samsonite hard-side luggage, or the small combination lock that we put on our zippered garment bag. I also have a TSA approved locking luggage strap, that I use for one of my older suitcases. Yes, I've heard the horror stories of TSA cutting off TSA approved locks, but it has never happened to us (knock wood). :cool:

Yes, we have had that happen when we flew from LAX to JFK. Our first bag came out on the baggage carousel immediately and then we waited for a good 25 minutes for the next one. It had a note in it that they had opened it and screened it. I guess my shoes and toiletries looked very threatening.

We've gotten those love-notes from TSA before, too -- a couple of times. Once, the contents of our case were jumbled up and rumpled :mad: -- but, the other time, everything was put back exactly as I had packed it. :cool:

In addition to the notes (which I do appreciate), our TSA-approved locks change color if someone opens them with an over-ride (TSA) key.

Edited by wwcruisers

We've gotten those love-notes from TSA before, too -- a couple of times. Once, the contents of our case were jumbled up and rumpled :mad: -- but, the other time, everything was put back exactly as I had packed it. :cool:

In addition to the notes (which I do appreciate), our TSA-approved locks change color if someone opens them with an over-ride (TSA) key.

Thanks Suzanne. I guess I will invest in some TSA approved locks for the next time we fly.

We purchased TSA locks last year, and when our luggage arrived in Europe, there was that little love note from the TSA, and the lock was missing. I'm assuming the agent either forgot to put it back on, or stole it and had a way to change the combo.

I hope everyone knows that any suitcase with a zipper closure can be opened and re-closed without any evidence of it even if locked. We never place valuables in a checked bag. We now just lock our zippers with nylon ties. If TSA wants in, they can cut them, we use a nail clipper to get them off. Locks create a false sense of security.

Here's what I mean:

[YOUTUBE]tbpKhHwwtiY[/YOUTUBE]

I hope everyone knows that any suitcase with a zipper closure can be opened and re-closed without any evidence of it even if locked. We never place valuables in a checked bag. We now just lock our zippers with nylon ties. If TSA wants in, they can cut them, we use a nail clipper to get them off. Locks create a false sense of security.

Here's what I mean:

[YOUTUBE]tbpKhHwwtiY[/YOUTUBE]

Fully agree. Putting a lock on your zippered luggage is about as effective to deterring thieves as putting a piece of tape over the tabs. Some travel experts suggest that locking your luggage makes it more enticing, causing the thieves believe there is something valuable in them to protect.

I don't put anything valuable in my checked luggage, and put a zip tie on only to keep the zippers from opening by accident, causing items to fall out, as I once saw happen to a person as he removed his suitcase off the carousel.

Edited by SantaFeFan

They showed this on the news how easy it is to get into a suite case even locked. They suggested putting this bright neon tape - I guess like duct tape around the suitcase, so a) it would be easier to spot your bags and less likely they will be stolen and b) that it would be harder for anyone to open them.

But then I thought how would the TSA get in without taking all that tape off?

We use TSA locks because they came with our baggage set, keep the zippers closed and deter petty thievery. We are fully aware that a professional can open the baggage in one of several ways, so never carry anything of value that might tempt a thief in a suitcase that won't be under our constant control. We also lock any carry-on bags going into overhead bins where they are out of our control.

In the video clip, the fellow suggests a hard case and secure, non-TSA locks. Unfortunately, most of us fly from airports where it is impossible to follow your checked luggage through security and open the case if requested. Security officials would simply cut off the locks. What's more, even if you could open the bag for inspection and relock it afterwards, that makes a very attractive target for thieves. A dishonest baggage handler isn't going to worry about trying to open it then and there, he'll simply steal the whole thing and open it later.

Not sure if I missed it but has the OP returned to give an update as to the status and how it has been handled?

I theorize that the OP actually went back to fish-out the overboard suitcases and things went astray.... :p

cartoon-businessman-shark-ocean-floating-vector-illustration-monochrome-character-scared-briefcase-39131687.jpgstock-vector-castaway-vintage-illustration-illustration-from-book-la-petite-soeur-par-hector-malot-90914384.jpg

Here's an even more effective video of how easy it is to do this. Open and closed in under 50 seconds.

Edited by sloopsailor

I always use TSA approved locks and occasionally have received the luggage with a lock missing. On my last trip my suitcase had a lock on it, but it was a different lock than the one I had put on it. Fortunately for me the key for my lock opened this mysterious lock. I assumed that TSA put the different lock on and nothing was missing from the bag.

Carolyn

I always use TSA approved locks and occasionally have received the luggage with a lock missing. On my last trip my suitcase had a lock on it, but it was a different lock than the one I had put on it. Fortunately for me the key for my lock opened this mysterious lock. I assumed that TSA put the different lock on and nothing was missing from the bag.

Carolyn

Maybe your lock was missing because a bored 10 year old kid opened it with a paperclip and took it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQA6aSuKIE

The main protection at most US ports is that you must clear customs after claiming your bags. That prevents people from just walking in and grabbing something. As far as passengers don't think many would want to go through customs with a random bag that they just grabbed.

Some non-US ports have claim areas that are pretty open and could be more problematic.

The main protection you have at airports is to be at baggage claim as soon as you can, before the bags start coming out.

Its not only on the claim portion. Before the new SF terminal opened I was on a cruise and gave my bags to a porter. They just put them on a cart that was sitting in the flow of traffic on the sidewalk. No one watching it at all. Nothing would have prevented someone walking by to just grab a bag and join the flow of the departing passengers. I ended up standing there until the cart was filled and taken inside.

The main protection from someone stealing your luggage at a port is that we all have so much of our own luggage, we would have to leave some of our bags to steal another one. Sort of a Let's Make a Deal.

The main protection from someone stealing your luggage at a port is that we all have so much of our own luggage, we would have to leave some of our bags to steal another one. Sort of a Let's Make a Deal.

Yes, for those ports where you have to clear customs after you claim your bags. The problem is a bit more in places like Venice where there is nothing to stop someone from just walking into the baggage pickup building and grabbing a bag and just walking out. No security at all between the water taxi area and the baggage pickup area for example.

LOL -- Instead of "gift exchanges", roll-calls could organize a pre-cruise "bag exchange". Would be interesting to see what everyone ended up wearing on formal night! ;)

I have bright lime green and white ribbons on each luggage handle to make mine stand out from the others to hopefully keep this from happening and also so I can spot it more easily in baggage claim.

... and our luggage is black with white spots and shocking-pink bows to which we added shocking-pink luggage tags! Unfortunately, so did the other woman. [However, the case she mistook was a different size with one fewer handles. I could see that it was not our from 20 yards when the porter thought he had found it.] I tried ribbons once but they got pulled off.

Our luggage now has, in addition, bright orange luggage tags and a personalised lime-green tag that says "Hands off, this is not your bag". The advantage of luggage tags is that, if one gets pulled off, you still have others remaining.

Incidentally, our luggage is so distinctive, the porters at two hotels we visit less frequently than one per year recognise us!

We always lock our luggage with TSA approved locks and never have had one broken off. Now they do open up the luggage at times, but usually leave a notice on the top saying what they have done.

We have had broken eyelets on the luggage, probably more from handling than anything else.

Or just cut off the approved locks and insert a piece of paper referring you to a website that tells you to use the type of lock they cut off :mad: - same cruise as the woman took the wrong case. :(

To add insult to injury, the TSA had not even searched in the luggage. No one could repack the same way as I do and, I am informed, the TSA never leave luggage tidily repacked.

Incidentally, I know that the locks do not deter a determined thief but I use them on everything - including carry-ons primarily to stop someone putting something into our bags. Perhaps we Brits, who have travelling with security concerns for much longer than Americans [we have plenty of horror stories pre-9/11], are just far more suspicious of others.

Edited by Project_gal

- including carry-ons primarily to stop someone putting something into our bags.

You are correct most Americans do not think about that, but when my son flew to South Korea in May to visit his friend from college I warned him not to get into any taxis with strangers and to always keep his bags on him so some one doesn't plant anything on him.

Unfortunately in this day and age you cannot be TOO careful.