Set Sail Document -Approval for Currency Exchange

Hello all

Just entering the cruise document information and have encountered something in the set sail entry that concerns me.

In the section for the credit card, there is a segment titled: Approval for currency exchange. It then simply asks if your card is in certain currencies: canadian dollar, euro, british pounds.

You answer yes or no. But there is nothing about currency exchange per se in this segment or, in the small print of the documentation.

We have always kept our on board billing in US dollars as the exchange rate with our credit card company is better than RCI.

I called RCI and there was no option to change, the agent was not familiar with practice here and suggested I mention this at check in.

Has anyone else been through this? Is RCI now automatically billing in the dollar of your credit card and taking the exchange fee? Anyone have any information?

I can't see any reason to head this section "Approval" if not. But the wording does not really give approval, it just asks for what currency your card is denominated.

Just did my online check-in a couple of days ago and when I loaded my credit card I had to choose being billed in GBP£ (at Bloomberg wholesale rate) or US$

I chose US$ and will take my cc rate which is normally good.

It did state once the choice was made it was not possible to change this

I would also double check this selection with Guest Services during the cruise. I've read several reports that indicate Royal sometimes does not do what has been selected.

Just did my online check-in a couple of days ago and when I loaded my credit card I had to choose being billed in GBP£ (at Bloomberg wholesale rate) or US$

Actually to correct myself I think RCI were offering to exchange at Bloomberg wholesale rate plus 3% commission :eek:

I would also double check this selection with Guest Services during the cruise. I've read several reports that indicate Royal sometimes does not do what has been selected.

Agreed; we have had this happen on a couple of cruises. :(

A few days into the cruise, go to Guest Relations and ask them to print off your bill; check the bottom to see what currency it is in. For us, it must say USD as that's what we select. We do not want RCI to convert it to Canadian for us - we let our credit card company do that.

On my online check-in under onboard expenses, when I select credit card I get the selections of 'yes' or 'no' for if my card if in the following currencies. I selected 'yes' as mine is GBP.

Then below that you have selections of 'A' or 'B'. 'A' is for RCI to do the currency conversion from USD to your card currency or 'B' is for your credit card company to do the currency conversion.

I always select 'B' as I believe my credit card gives me a better exchange rate with no added fees.

Edited by sky0000547

I would have done this but no such offer was made for me when completing the form.

I would have done this but no such offer was made for me when completing the form.

OK, it's on the print out. So selection at check in. Rather odd but there we are. Guess they want paperwork!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply!