Summit and A/C and Review 7/26/15-8/2/15

rebeccalouiseagain

Just returned from the Summit and wanted assure everyone that the AC onboard worked fine. The gangway is located on Deck 1 for disembarkation in Bermuda and as a consequence it is warm in the hallway in that area but it did not effect our cabin 2150 on Deck two- located very near the gangway. Throughout the ship it was very comfortable and cool.

This is the second time I've sailed Summit to Bermuda (and my 12th Celebrity cruise)

Food- the buffet was repetitive but good. Bistro on Five was disappointing. We tried it twice and it's just didn't wow us (the "Italian" crepe is delicious, but the new sandwiches were disappointing). Qsine was good, but I wish they would change the menu up (it's the same as when it opened back in 2012) The Qsine Greens are my favorite. Main Dining room was ok but EXTREMELY limited hours (8-9:30 for breakfast for example and it didn't open until 10AM on our last sea day) There are free desserts and pastries available at Cafe Al Bacio on Deck 5 from morning- night. I am not a fan of the coffee onboard.

Activities- We loved Jack, part of the entertainment staff, who had just transferred from the Equinox. He was very fun. Ken Mills, the cruise director, is a nice enough guy but we didn't find him funny. We were laughing at him- not with him. I was very disappointed that there was only one movie shown indoors all week and it was Big Hero- a children's movie. The other two movies were shown on Deck 12 at night, outside. They were Guardians of the Galaxy and Frozen (which I did enjoy). I think they should offer two movies at least on Sea Days- but they never did. The only movie options were in the cabin to the tune of $12.95. I found Sea Days to be very boring and my son and I played cards between trivia. The production shows aren't my thing but the Comedian, the Illustionist, and the Acapela Group were good.

The Pool is Mega-crowded and I just was put off by 12 people in every hot tub, and the pools full of people all the time. No loungers available for the most part (this was not a surprise though. It was the same when we did this cruise in August of 2012). The pool towels are ghastly IMO. They are soot gray now instead of the blue and white striped ones they used to have.

Condition of the ship- overall they keep the ship clean and shiny. Carpets and furnishings were in great shape. The Summit windows were very rusty and the porthole in our cabin leaked. The ship needs new windows for sure.

Cabin- no surprise here, as we've sailed Celebrity before. Compared to Princess, the cabins are poorly designed. The closets in particular are horrible. The cabin design does not make good use of the space. I hope that on future vessels they do a better job in designing the cabin- like the open closets on Princess and more shelving in the closet area (instead of puny drawers all over the cabin). The bed layout is terrible- leaving only a foot of floor space as you navigate around the beds and glass coffee table. Beds in an outside should be up against the exterior wall- leaving walking and changing space by the bathroom IMO.

Service- overall the service was good, but not as good as in the early 2000's when I started sailing Celebrity. They have done away with trays and I did not see waiters helping passengers like they used to. Older passengers with mobility issues complained to me about this.

I used to be a diehard Celebrity fan and would sail them again if Princess did not offer the same itinerary, but overall Princess is better than Celebrity now. There are more pools on Princess, more activities- including Pub lunches and wine tastings- which were not offered on the Summit. Princess has a "choir" now which performed in the Atrium- a hub of activity on Princess.

For the money- Summit was a nice cruise, with friendly people and Bermuda is lovely.

Thank you for posting your review. I agree Celebrity is not what it use to be with food or service. Still good and better than some others but when you compare it to the Celebrity of 10-12 years ago you are reminded greatly of all the cutbacks in service and food.

Yes, when we sailed to Bermuda in May the hot tubs were so crowded as was the Thalassotherapy Pool. I saw people with bottles of beer in the hot tubs. I thought you were not suppose to drink in them?

Oh well........

Thank you for posting your review. I agree Celebrity is not what it use to be with food or service. Still good and better than some others but when you compare it to the Celebrity of 10-12 years ago you are reminded greatly of all the cutbacks in service and food.

Yes, when we sailed to Bermuda in May the hot tubs were so crowded as was the Thalassotherapy Pool. I saw people with bottles of beer in the hot tubs. I thought you were not suppose to drink in them?

Oh well........

Uh oh! I usually take my mimosa in the thalassotherapy pool :eek: Didn't realize that wasn't allowed....but I guess that makes sense.

Uh oh! I usually take my mimosa in the thalassotherapy pool :eek: Didn't realize that wasn't allowed....but I guess that makes sense.

Sarah, on one of our cruises the Thalassotherapy Pool was closed for 3 days because some had a glass in there and it broke. They had to drain the entire pool and clean it and then refill it.

we have only sailed on one other Celebrity cruise-the Zenith back in 2005.....we loved it!!!

this fall, we will be on the Summit for a B2B...very much looking forward to it!

thanks for your review!!

Marsha

Thanks for your review. I agree, Princess has much nicer pool areas. But, you don't like the towels because of the color?? I do not recall Celebrity ever having blue & white striped towels, I think you are thinking of Princess towels. We were on Summit in March, & thought the new pool towels were an improvement over the worn towels from last year, grey or not.

I actually really like the new grey towels. They are plush and a nice size. I also happen to be a fan of the color grey, but that is just my opinion. I believe the prior towels were yellow. Also nice. But as long as a towel dries, I am happy! :D

Thank you for your review. One of the reasons we usually cruise the Summit's Caribbean itinerary a lot is only one sea day. I like port intensive cruises because on all ships there is never enough shade seating around the pool. We usually go to the beach in the am, come back for lunch and then hang out at the pool without the crowds. By the way, there are trays in the Oceanview Cafe, they are just not obvious. As you walk in the front doors they are located at the very end in the middle. As has been stated, food and beverages are very subjective. We love the coffee at Cafe al Bacio, even better than Starbucks (and for me that's saying something!)

The color of the towels didn't bother me as much as NOT having towels available at the pool on port days until the afternoon. A new rule ....and yes, I asked the big wigs.

They will NOT remove items from saved pool loungers. We noticed chairs saved for several (yes, several) hours most days. We asked if they were no longer timing chair savers. Three seperate times they just kinda shrugged or smiled and walked away. grrrrrrrr!

The color of the towels didn't bother me as much as NOT having towels available at the pool on port days until the afternoon. A new rule ....and yes, I asked the big wigs.

They will NOT remove items from saved pool loungers. We noticed chairs saved for several (yes, several) hours most days. We asked if they were no longer timing chair savers. Three seperate times they just kinda shrugged or smiled and walked away. grrrrrrrr!

What about the thalassotherapy pool area. People are in there all day long even on port days. That does not make any sense.

I must be color blind because I did not think the towels were grey when we sailed but a kind of blue/grey more on the blue side. I would have never called them grey. Unless they are different towels from when we sailed.

What about the thalassotherapy pool area. People are in there all day long even on port days. That does not make any sense.

I must be color blind because I did not think the towels were grey when we sailed but a kind of blue/grey more on the blue side. I would have never called them grey. Unless they are different towels from when we sailed.

Yes, more blue gray...slate blue maybe is a better color description. :)

Okay, here is what we were told. People were leaving the towels at the beach so they stopped having them out by the pools until mid afternoon on port days. :mad:

Edited by 20pluscruises

Yes, more blue gray...slate blue maybe is a better color description. :)

Okay, here is what we were told. People were leaving the towels at the beach so they stopped having them out by the pools until mid afternoon on port days. :mad:

That is what I was going to say also Slate. I think they are very nice looking.

We checked...there were two lonely towels on the indoor pool towel rack

Sarah, on one of our cruises the Thalassotherapy Pool was closed for 3 days because some had a glass in there and it broke. They had to drain the entire pool and clean it and then refill it.

I guess there is no pill for stupid.....

Thank you for your review. I'm sailing on Summit 30th August and looking forward to it.

The comedian on the last night was fantastic. Late night adult comedy. The parents/idiots who brought their young children were asked to leave. Also, a rock (Queen) with the Summit singer dancers in the Revelations was great!!!

Edited by 20pluscruises

Oh geez. That would suck! Not only to have that happen but for you to be the cause of it happening and closing for 3 days :eek:

By chance were you in Blu? I couldn't believ the wait times to dine. Every night and at different times. They insisted it was only Aqua class allowed in Blu. Not even suites were allowed in (so they said) but I have never seen it so packed. EVERY EVENING. Something just didn't seem right...

Edited to say...the servers were excellent!!!

Edited by 20pluscruises

By chance were you in Blu? I couldn't believ the wait times to dine. Every night and at different times. They insisted it was only Aqua class allowed in Blu. Not even suites were allowed in (so they said) but I have never seen it so packed. EVERY EVENING. Something just didn't seem right...

Edited to say...the servers were excellent!!!

No we weren't in Blu. We've never booked Aqua class.

We are old fashioned traditional late seating MDR type cruisers. Unfortunately we are becoming extinct like the dinosaurs.

What we did encounter at dinner is since now there is only ONE entrance to the dinning room for traditional dining the line to enter the MDR on most nights was all the way through the Rendezvous Lounge. We would leave the Martini Bar at 8:35 figuring it would clear - but no there was still a line.

IMO Celebrity has really ruined the MDR experience on Summit. We also had to wait to be seated for breakfast in the MDR. They use deck 5 which is smaller than deck 4 and there was always a wait. In the past we had never had to wait for breakfast.

We are old fashioned traditional late seating MDR type cruisers. Unfortunately we are becoming extinct like the dinosaurs.

What we did encounter at dinner is since now there is only ONE entrance to the dinning room for traditional dining the line to enter the MDR on most nights was all the way through the Rendezvous Lounge. We would leave the Martini Bar at 8:35 figuring it would clear - but no there was still a line.

IMO Celebrity has really ruined the MDR experience on Summit. We also had to wait to be seated for breakfast in the MDR. They use deck 5 which is smaller than deck 4 and there was always a wait. In the past we had never had to wait for breakfast.

Did you guys use the MDR for lunches? Were those crowded as well? I love eating lunch in the MDR :D

On the third night I asked why the dinner service was soooooo slow...they really seemed not to want to answer the question (we had three different servers by day three) Service improved after we asked. We also saw our server a lot more in the dining room after asking. The first three nights we noticed the servers went missing for quite a few long stints. I really began wondering if Blu and Luminae were possibly being served by the same wait staff. It wasn't just our table that thought the service was unusually long.

Again, the servers were great! Just the long wait between courses was very noticeable

We sat in Cellar masters with our pager most evenings and noticed the long line into the MDR. YIKES! :eek:

Did you guys use the MDR for lunches? Were those crowded as well? I love eating lunch in the MDR :D

We only ate there once and we had to wait at least 5-7 minutes to be seated. We also feel the MDR lunch menus are no where near as good (they use to be great) as when they were under Michel Roux. We would run back to the ship just to eat lunch and the MDR was open every day for lunch except for one.

Glad I found this review posted here because I'd read it in the reviews section but could not reply.

I am confused by your comment "I hope that on future vessels they do a better job in designing the cabin". You say that you've been on many Celebrity cruises so you must know that Summit is an older class of ship. I could see making a comment like this on a Solstice-class ship, and I don't know if you feel the same way about cabins on that class, but it didn't make a lot of sense regarding this class.