NCL Sun or HAL Zaandam ?

MH017

NCL and HAL have similar cruises early December 2015 from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. Prices are fairly similar (HAL a bit cheaper than NCL) for inside cabins, but NCL offer better perks, like free drink- or restaurant packages. Which ship or line would you use and why ?

You are really comparing apples to oranges.

Sounds like NCL has included the drinks cost into the fare.

In this case I would choose HAL. Better service and food.

Thanks for the info. But how about the cruise ships ? HAL Zaandam seems smaller and older.

I have been on both ships.mi prefer the NCL Sun. Better lay out of the ship. The only downside is a the round shower in the bathroom.

I preferred the food on the Sun. Especially liked the speciality restaurants.

I must say, hands down, the officers are much better on NCL. Friendly and approachable.

On the Zaandam we had a a whole week of no AC (which has been an ongoing problem for years it seems) and they absolutely didn't care.

I also thought it was very interesting in the main atrium on the Sun they had a wall of plaques from all the interesting places the ship had been. It just felt kinda homey.

I have been on both ships.mi prefer the NCL Sun. Better lay out of the ship. The only downside is a the round shower in the bathroom.

I preferred the food on the Sun. Especially liked the speciality restaurants.

I must say, hands down, the officers are much better on NCL. Friendly and approachable.

On the Zaandam we had a a whole week of no AC (which has been an ongoing problem for years it seems) and they absolutely didn't care.

I also thought it was very interesting in the main atrium on the Sun they had a wall of plaques from all the interesting places the ship had been. It just felt kinda homey.

So you would suggest to take the specialty restaurant package rather than the drink package on NCL ? And.....Joe's the barrel organ on Zaandam ? How often it was platgedrukt/used ?

I just got back from the sun and I loved it! I have never been on a HAL ship. On the Sun I would definitely opt for the UDP because the specialty restaurants are fantastic. While the Sun is small there is lots to do and I loved the shows! Hope you enjoy what ever cruise you pick!

I just got back from the sun and I loved it! I have never been on a HAL ship. On the Sun I would definitely opt for the UDP because the specialty restaurants are fantastic. While the Sun is small there is lots to do and I loved the shows! Hope you enjoy what ever cruise you pick!

Thanks for the info !!! Package is only for 4 nights out of a 14 night's cruise, I believe ? Still leaning towards HAL, though, unless you guys come up with better ideas/suggestions :)

The passengers on HAL tend to be mostly older - I would say 70's+. The ships are OK. I found the foodvery bland and a lack of entertainment onboard the ship.

NCL, the passengers tend to be 30's through 50's mostly and some kids and a small number of older people. The food is significantly better than HAL's. The entertainment is good.

Here's the biggest difference: HAL has a main dining room with assigned tables. NCL doesn't. You eat when you want and where you want. Also HAL has formal nights and NCL has dress up or not nights. So basically you don't need to bring any formalwear on NCL. Men don't need a suit or even a tie on NCL. The dressiest it gets is long pants and a shirt with a collar for Le Bistro and the steakhouse. I bring sundresses and Maxi dresses and that's perfect for the NCL cruise. I LOVE NOT having to dress up.

If you choose NCL, I'd suggest you take the drinks package and buy the dining package as the drinks package costs more.

The passengers on HAL tend to be mostly older - I would say 70's+.

Here's the biggest difference: HAL has a main dining room with assigned tables.

Also HAL has formal nights and NCL has dress up or not nights.

Your information about HAL is seriously out of date.

HAL's passengers tend to be more in the 50+ range, with most of them in the 50-70 range, while some are older and some younger.

HAL has two options for main dining. There are two traditional fixed seatings, early and late, for those who prefer that. There is also an open seating dining area where you can arrive any time between 5:15 and 9:30.

HAL has stopped having formal nights, and now has Gala nights. Men are not required to wear jackets or ties on those evenings, although they certainly may.

Your information about HAL is seriously out of date.

HAL's passengers tend to be more in the 50+ range, with most of them in the 50-70 range, while some are older and some younger.

HAL has two options for main dining. There are two traditional fixed seatings, early and late, for those who prefer that. There is also an open seating dining area where you can arrive any time between 5:15 and 9:30.

HAL has stopped having formal nights, and now has Gala nights. Men are not required to wear jackets or ties on those evenings, although they certainly may.

Even more reason to choose HAL !!! (And we're Dutch citizens btw)

The passengers on HAL tend to be mostly older - I would say 70's+. The ships are OK. I found the foodvery bland and a lack of entertainment onboard the ship.

NCL, the passengers tend to be 30's through 50's mostly and some kids and a small number of older people. The food is significantly better than HAL's. The entertainment is good.

Here's the biggest difference: HAL has a main dining room with assigned tables. NCL doesn't. You eat when you want and where you want. Also HAL has formal nights and NCL has dress up or not nights. So basically you don't need to bring any formalwear on NCL. Men don't need a suit or even a tie on NCL. The dressiest it gets is long pants and a shirt with a collar for Le Bistro and the steakhouse. I bring sundresses and Maxi dresses and that's perfect for the NCL cruise. I LOVE NOT having to dress up.

If you choose NCL, I'd suggest you take the drinks package and buy the dining package as the drinks package costs more.

A lot of this isn't accurate, or not totally accurate. As Ruth said, the formal nights have changed on HAL. Also, on my last 2 HAL cruises, an entire floor of the 2 story dining room was dedicated to anytime dining and it worked much more efficient, in my experience, than on NCL. I never waited for a table, unlike the 30+ minute waits I've had on NCL when I didn't have reservations.

I also don't agree with the 70+ average.