Has anyone sailed on the Prinsendam?

ZellaLamb

We are considering booking a two month cruise around South America for January 2017. The cruise we are looking at is on the Holland America Prinsendam. Has anyone here been on this ship? How accessible is it? I use a scooter to get around.

You will be happier on this ship if you have some mobility.

Most (if not all) of the original cabins are down a narrow hallway off the passageway. It would be impossible to maneuver with a scooter. I have never seen the handicap cabins on this ship, so can't advise you there.

At least some of the cabin areas are off passageways that have a doorway to a public area; it's a tight turn. The aft elevators would be too tight for the scooter; it should fit in the forward elevators.

Sometimes, to get from here to there in the public areas, you would have to go a longer way, as the doorway on the direct line will have a high step-over.

I didn't need a scooter the last time I was on the Prinsendam, and I had some trouble getting around. I am envisioning it with a scooter, and it would be tougher. It would not be impossible, but this ship was built before people were as sensitive to handicaps as they are now, and has been adapted as best it can be.

I will say that on my last cruise on this ship, a tablemate was in a power wheelchair, and didn't get out of it. He did have a wife helping, but he was able to get around, and off the ship to tour. It can be done.

Thank you so much for your quick responses. Looks like this won't be the ship we are going on.

I'm sorry this cruise can't work for you, as it is a fabulous itinerary, and otherwise a grand ship.

Best wishes finding something more suitable.

Yes, the itinerary is perfect for us and my husband really had his heart set on it. But, if I can't be independent and comfortable for that long a trip, I will get very crabby. Sigh. I will see if I can piece together some other ships to make a similar trip.

Yes, the itinerary is perfect for us and my husband really had his heart set on it. But, if I can't be independent and comfortable for that long a trip, I will get very crabby. Sigh. I will see if I can piece together some other ships to make a similar trip.

That's too bad. It's our favorite ship ever since it was the Royal Viking Sun. Only about 800 people. I use a walker to move at all, and had no problem with the halls. I wonder if a scooter would be that much wider. If she ever came back to California, we'd be on her in a minute.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we have looked at all the other options and there really aren't any that match this itinerary. We went ahead and booked an accessible balcony cabin for the 2017 South America grand voyage. I am a little apprehensive about the accessibility on this trip but my husband reallyreally wanted to do this.

Now, I am looking for tips and encouragement!

Thank you all,

Kate

zellalamb

Kate,

Be sure to put on your "To Do" list that you will need to get visas for Brazil if you don't already have them. I would suggest looking up the logistics soon so you won't become anxious when it comes time to get them.

I sent you an email with some of my planning research and notes of what to expect. I hope you find something useful there, but be sure to verify the info as it is from 2009.

Even though you may stay on board at some tender ports, I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise.

rascalrider Ruth (also a RuthC)