Video Camera Advice Please!

p0mpey

We will be cruising mid October to the Western Carribean. Last year when we sailed the Carib' our video camera stopped working after the second day due to moisture being detected inside the camera.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to avoid it?

Thanks for any advice. Want to take it but it is just something else to pack if it is inoperable once there.

We will be cruising mid October to the Western Carribean. Last year when we sailed the Carib' our video camera stopped working after the second day due to moisture being detected inside the camera.

Thanks for any advice. Want to take it but it is just something else to pack if it is inoperable once there.

We took our video camera with us to the Eastern Caribbean last February and had no issues whatsoever......Make sure you have a waterproof camera bag ( we did) and we took the camera to the beach and it worked just fine....

Good Luck - nothing like a video diary of the cruise :)

Common problem. Some models are more troublesome than others depending on how they are put together. Try to do gradual acclimation by taking it out of its case in your cabin, then spending short periods of time on the balcony with it, without turning it on. but open it up including the tape/disc compartment while it sits. Then take it with you to the pool deck and again let it sit for a while... then try turning it on.

Whenever you take it somewhere take it out of the case and let it sit a while or carry it a while before you try to turn it on.

We had this problem when we were in Disney 2 years ago. It only happened one day. The hottest day we were there, and because my husband opened it fairly soon after leaving the room. It is because the camera is coming from a cool dry place to a very warm humid one. (It is kind of like what happens to glasses when leaving a cool house to the hot muggy outside) We ended up putting the camera in a locker (we were at Animal Kingdom that day) for the morning and by the afternoon it had acclimated and was working fine. Just let it adjust to the warmth and humidity for a while before you try to use it. YOu also might want to try keeping it in the warmest area of your room. That may help.

On our first cruise we had no problems with our camera at all. This last time must have been more humid because if we tried to take it from our room and go out and try to video something it would not let us, until it "warmed up" to the outside temp.

This was probably a stupid thing to do but I placed mine on the balcony in the case when not in use. The only problem with this would have been had the ship "washers" went by while it was sitting outside. There was a piece of steel that I placed it behind that would have protected it should this have happened.

Tim

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think we will go ahead and take it and avoid the sudden transition from the cold cabin (and thinking about it the camera was in the cabin with my DH and DS who kept it unbearably cold) to the heat. We do have a balcony so I plan on keeping it out there if possible.

Thanks again. Only 17 more days. Please no more hurricanes! Not just for our cruise but the poor people who live on the coast. Living in Dallas we are seeing our fair share of evacuees here with more pouring in today from Galveston and Houston.

CVS is selling a disposable video camera for $29.99 ( 24.99 on sale) that give you a 20 min DVD when processed by them for $13.00. Actually I got 19 min before the battery died.

Took it to Alaska in the rain and ice of the glacier and it worked fine. Pictures were adequate and the camera weighs 5oz and fits in your pocket.

Supposedly available anywhere on the east coast although someone on the cruise said they saw it on the west coast. It made a decent backup to my digital camera for the 30 sec clips.

Archived