Grand Princess NB cruise tour 7/18-8/1/15

mimmy52

I was headed for breakfast, planned at Snow City since I'd heard so much about it. There was a 30 minute wait for a table, so I chose to go to Sandwich Deck, which I'd passed on the way. I guess Snow City is another place where it's good to have a reservation.

DSC00463_zpstbvxt91g.jpg

DSC00464_zps4tmhqddy.jpg

DSC00465_zps4iiu16ta.jpg

You order at the counter, then your food is brought to you. My breakfast was good, although I guess it was plain compared to the Snow City offerings. But I'm a plain food person anyway, so I might have enjoyed this more.

DSC00466_zpsqsi9uxvi.jpg

After breakfast, I walked to Resolution Park about two blocks away.

DSC00467_zpshwtpfz7m.jpg

Captain Cook is honored here with a statue.

DSC00468_zpsoh4ecy6j.jpg

I wanted to go to Ship Creek to see if there were salmon. The Visitor Center people told me I could take the first shuttle at 10:15 to the Ulu Factory and it was just past there, but it was early so I decided to walk.

City Hall was near the Visitor Center.

DSC00497_zpsnxsuaovq.jpg

I passed the Eisenhower Statehood Monument.

DSC00501_zps5z1a0ppa.jpg

And the Alaska Railroad station.

DSC00503_zpssesiubg5.jpg

I think I made it to the right place.

DSC00508_zpsyuqcce0m.jpg

DSC00505_zpszupu8mny.jpg

At least one fisherman was having luck.

DSC00507_zpsqgk9kxnp.jpg

There were a lot of people way more patient than I am.

DSC00520_zpslslnljot.jpg

DSC00534_zpsbzkyuhxp.jpg

I didn't see salmon in the water, although this bird was lucky with one that didn't make the journey.

DSC00526_zps5xgvuk2u.jpg

After watching for a while, I started walking back and went into the Ulu Factory.

DSC00537_zpsbjzgumbb.jpg

I think the big draw here is that you can watch the knives being made. When I was there, they were only preparing shipping containers. I guess a little later when the shuttle starts running is when they have their knife making demonstrations. I was going to wait and take the Ulu shuttle back, but the shop was small and didn't take much of my time. I thought I'd walk back and stop at the Saturday market I'd noticed on the way. The closest way to it was up these stairs, and I almost changed my mind.

DSC00504_zpsyi7htdv4.jpg

We had to check out of our room by noon, but our airport transfer wasn't until 5:15. Our direction today for luggage was to leave it inside the room rather than outside, so we took our backpacks with us and left the other bags in the room. We checked our backpacks at the concierge desk so we wouldn't have to carry them around for the rest of the afternoon.

Our first goal was lunch. We saw a pizza place yesterday, so walked back there.

Uncle Joe's pizzeria

DSC00485_zpsnocmev1v.jpg

DSC00563_zps3g6d5c81.jpg

Pizza by the slice, $4 a slice. You know the old saying, you get what you pay for. Not the best pizza I've had.

DSC00562_zps4kujvqd3.jpg

The Quilted Raven was right across the street so we stopped there again, then went to a few more gift shops. We continued our way to the Visitor Center for a trolley ride around Anchorage, recommended by one of the people in our tour group. It was $20 per person.

DSC00565_zpsdk6ns8b6.jpg

It was all drive by, not hop on hop off. We went by Resolution Park. Captain Cook was still there.

DSC00566_zps5hespmnd.jpg

The trolley stopped at Earthquake Park although we couldn't get off. I think it would have been interesting to get a closer look at it. It has never been built up again after the devastating earthquake of 1964.

DSC00576_zpswdk0k4h0.jpg

DSC00574_zpsho6lxpjw.jpg

What doesn't show up well in the photo is that depressed section. Trees were growing on what used to be roofs of houses. Our guide said at one time you could see remnants of roofs and chimneys and know that all personal belongings were inside. At some point, it was razed since it was a dangerous draw for teenagers.

Our guide told a story about her then eleven year old husband. He was in the dentist's chair when the earthquake struck. The building dropped eight fee and the dentist and the boy crawled out of the fourth story window which was then at street level.

We drove by the small plane airport. You can get a pilot's learner permit at 14 1/2 and start soloing at 15!

DSC00608_zpsvx6qvqtl.jpg

DSC00602_zpsklvnwfcj.jpg

We enjoyed the trolley ride but thought it would have been more of a value at $10. We went into the Federal Building (had to go through security) with the intention of seeing the earthquake movie.

DSC00628_zpsedso4o8e.jpg

Unfortunately it wasn't going to play again until 5:00. We looked around the small museum area that's there.

Watch out, lady!

DSC00627_zpssxilhu5o.jpg

And we shopped a little more. I liked this cute totem at the Blue Moose gift shop.

DSC00622_zpsduje7zmm.jpg

And how can anyone eat a reindeer dog after seeing the reindeer pictured on the side of the wagon.

DSC00625_zpsmtz2zet2.jpg

We ended our time in Anchorage at Moose ala Mode for ice cream.

DSC00633_zpshijuwe8u.jpg

DSC00631_zps9j3hvd9y.jpg

DSC00632_zpscfudkmyp.jpg

I should have some kind of photo that sums up our wonderful experience in Alaska rather than ending it with an ice cream shop, but maybe food is at least part of what it was about.

Back at the hotel after we retrieved our backpacks, I asked the concierge if she was able to check me in for my flight. I'd tried to do it the night before and ran into a problem. We'd made our reservations through an online site that promotes lower prices. American was on our flight information but it was operated by Alaska Airlines. The concierge knew to call Alaska Airlines and had no problem checking me in and confirming my seat assignment (which had seemed to disappear). I suggested to Jo that she have concierge check her in too, but she decided she would wait until we got to the airport.

We went to the hotel entrance to wait for our airport transfer, the same place where the bus had left us off the day before. When we saw our luggage go by, we followed it out. We were told that our transfer bus was nearby, but while we waited for it to arrive, two more tour busses pulled up and disgorged passengers.

There were only two of us leaving from Captain Cook and I think the rep said the four people already on the bus were from McKinley Princess Lodge. In 15 minutes we were at the airport.

We were directed to the kiosks to check in. Jo wasn't able to confirm her seat assignment there. The readout said she would get it at the gate. After going through security, we had dinner at Chili's near our gate. Jo got in line at the gate but the agent said she couldn't give Jo her seat assignment yet. Something about American bumping it. I was worried because they were asking for people to volunteer to give up their seats. I went to the counter, told them we were traveling together, and asked if it was certain Jo would have a seat. They said yes.

Boarding began and I waited because Jo still did not have a seat assignment. Finally she told me to board so I'd have a space to put my carryon, so I did. She was one of the last passengers to board, but she did have a seat. I read an article after I got back about airlines and code sharing, and how that can be irritating when you want a seat assignment. It certainly was.

Our flight took off on time. We were in a new plane! It was so clean. Even the literature in the seatback was clean. When we arrived in Chicago, we were told they couldn't let anyone off the plane until they unloaded about 100 bags from the back of the plane. Otherwise the plane would tip onto its tail. They know because it's happened.

We made our connection to St. Louis with no problem and even had time to stop for a bagel for breakfast. On the ride from Copper River to Anchorage, the driver had asked if anyone would like to go back with him and do the trip in reverse. Some people said no, but if I had the time and the money, I gladly would have done it.

Wow what a wonderful review! I loved your writing style and your sense of humor. The pictures were great too. I am especially interested because I am doing a similar trip next year with a friend that I met on a prior cruise . We are of different activity levels so I wanted to see how you and Jo got along as your trip progressed. My friend is a runner and I am a slow moving couch potato. Also I have done an Alaska cruise before and she is a first timer. I don't want to slow her down but also I don't want to get too much exercise. LOL Splitting up for excursions might work well for us plus we will have notes to compare later. Thanks again for taking the time to share your journey with all of us.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wow what a wonderful review! I loved your writing style and your sense of humor. The pictures were great too. I am especially interested because I am doing a similar trip next year with a friend that I met on a prior cruise . We are of different activity levels so I wanted to see how you and Jo got along as your trip progressed. My friend is a runner and I am a slow moving couch potato. Also I have done an Alaska cruise before and she is a first timer. I don't want to slow her down but also I don't want to get too much exercise. LOL Splitting up for excursions might work well for us plus we will have notes to compare later. Thanks again for taking the time to share your journey with all of us.

Denise

Thanks, Denise. I think it's important that the two of you agree beforehand that you're not tied at the hip for the excursions. There are so many fun things to do with different activity levels, plus she might want to do something you've already done. Hope you have as much fun on your trip as we did on ours.

Thanks for the insight. I think we are leaning towards this already based on our planning conversations so far. I will definitely suggest that my friend reads this review as well.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, thank you for posting such a great review with so many interesting pictures! I've been putting my book on hold to read your updates instead! We are about to leave for our first Alaska cruise -- we don't have a land portion booked but will definitely think about it for next time thanks to your posts.

Thank you for such a detailed review - I'm in very early of planning probably our only Alaska cruise trip and just can't figure out what is best for us

I know how confusing it can be, even after reading Cruise Critic for months and months. There's a lot to consider.