Port Canaveral, stay at airport or port?

CRocks

Sailed outta Port Canaveral several times but always drove down + stayed near port the nite before. Gonna fly down this Jan, should we stay at airport + use Carnival shuttle to port in AM? What's the best method of doin this?

If it were me ...since you're going to be flying in the day before anyway .... I'd want to be at the port city where I can get a cab to the ship rather than count on coming from Orlando the morning I sailed. Just a peace of mind thing with me :)

Sailed outta Port Canaveral several times but always drove down + stayed near port the nite before. Gonna fly down this Jan, should we stay at airport + use Carnival shuttle to port in AM? What's the best method of doin this?

I have not personally taken the shuttle to port but from several people that have used them, they are great as long as you aren't concerned when you get to port. If you are a person that likes to get to port at 10-11 you may want to stay in the area.

I know for me I hate murphy so I always take myself to port and stay as close to it as possible the night before. You probably already know there are some decent places in Cocoa Beach.

I'm with the peace of mind thing...the day before. You never know what snow storm will hit, and you'll be stranded. You could always land the day before, stay in a hotel near the airport, and then the next morning go back to the airport and ride the carnival shuttle from there.

To me, it's an either/or thing based on preference. The first time, we got a shuttle from the airport immediately upon arrival to the Courtyard Marriott in Cocoa Beach. Stayed in Cocoa Beach for the night. Then caught a shuttle the next morning to the port - arriving about 10:30 or so. This last time, we stayed at the Hyatt in the airport itself and used Carnival transportation to go to the port the next morning, arriving about 11:00. Both options worked just fine for us.

Totally personal preference. When we cruised DCL many years ago, they shuttled us in the morning and we sat for hours in their terminal until boarding. It's only an hour drive so do what you prefer. We have begun enjoying port areas before boarding and not trying to be first to the ship. I'm not saying stay in Orlando til noon, but you could take a dip in the pool, have a leisurely breakfast, and make it to PC in plenty of time with a rental leaving at 11 am check-out. Just monitor driving conditions first thing in the morning and change plans or routes if there is bad weather or significant delays already occurring.

I'm with the peace of mind thing...the day before. You never know what snow storm will hit, and you'll be stranded. You could always land the day before, stay in a hotel near the airport, and then the next morning go back to the airport and ride the carnival shuttle from there.

Are you with us? Read post 1!

Check out the Go Port Canaveral site ... they have options for airport and Cocoa Beach ..... we got shuttle from airport to hotel (near airport), to cruiseport the next day and from the cruiseport back to the airport for about $230 for 3 folks. Continental breakfast and fee 5 mile shuttle radius for shopping before cruise.

Renting a car at the airport and dropping it off in Port Canaveral is one of the easiest things I've ever done. You can drive to Port Canaveral after you arrive in Orlando and stay in a hotel there. The next day return your car and they have a free shuttle to port. Read more about it in the Florida departures forum.

I would do a one way car rental and drive to the Port Canaveral area. Ideally return the rental car and take rental car shuttle to the port the next morning. Having the car will enable you to have the freedom of hitting stores for last minute items/toiletries/etc.

what time does your flight get in?

driving to the port on arrival would be silly if your plane gets in at 11pm .....

if it gets in at noon, different story

I've done it both ways (and then some)

for most $$ factors in to this equation because the cruise shuttle is usually the MOST EXPENSIVE option per person. Often exceeding the cost of a LIMO! While a one way rental can be the least cost per person but adds hassle of getting the car, dropping the car, tolls, shuttles etc etc .... at times that UGH factor (two kids, suitcases and traveling single parent) left me on the cruise shuttle even tho it WAS $$ (Disney shuttles are generally quite nice)

Edited by Capt_BJ