Poor customer service from P&O

ChrisPBacon

This September will be our fourth cruise with P&O,. We are going to the Med for a week. I always book my seats on the flight, because my wife isn't a great flyer. She needs to sit next to me and needs an aisle seat......easier to get out in a crisis. :-)

So on the first morning the flights were available, I went on to book. First of all, some seats were 'greyed-out'. I'm used to that. So then I looked at the rest. The front seats with extra legroom were blue, indicating they were available, but they wouldn't let me book them. They are still 'blue' but unbooked.

Because the aircraft seating is 3x3, they won't let you book an aisle and middle seat. Only two aisles or a window and middle. So I had to book what I could get. So I mailed them about 10 days ago and today I got an email telling me to ring their support. So why have the email address? I ring them and explain why I want the seats and after being passed around, I'm put onto the lady who deals with flight bookings, and I think all she did was hover over the seats to see what was available...and then said no.

My issue is this. I went on when the seats were released. I'm willing to pay for the seats I want. But P&O say they can't have window seats empty!

Point 1. The seats won't be empty. Those who choose NOT to pay, take pot luck and may sit apart.

Point 2. I am paying for seats, whilst others who choose not to pay, will get those aisle seats.

Point 3. If P&O can block seats out, then they can organise specific seats in cases like this.

This wasn't a vanity request. It's based on my wife's fear of flying. Requests like these are just little things, that cruise companies can do to give good customer service, and they can't be bothered.

P&O are the initials of two words on my mind right now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by ChrisPBacon

You, and your wife have my sympathy. I rarely fly as I am petrified. But on one occasion a couple of years ago, we flew with BA back from Portugal. You couldn't choose your seats even by paying (small plane into London City) until 24 hours before. By the time we got on line, it looked as if all seats had actually been allocated by BA. We were a party of 4 and had been allocated 4 window seats in rows 12, 17, 20 &23 ( or similar - can't remember the exact details - 2 on one side & 2 the other. I'm afraid I just threw a total wobbly at check in, especially as we had notified in advance that I was a fearful flyer. 5 minutes laterwe had been allocated 4 seats in one row (2 either side of aisle) in the centre of the plane ( I can't sit at the front or theback)

I'm not sure what you can do, as I assume this is a p & O charter flight? But believe me they will not want anyone having a major panic attack on the plane. It's not good for anyone. All airlines reserve the right to change seats for operational reasons so I suggest if you can you find out which airline is the charter company and contact them. And get to the airport very early and stand your ground. Or just get on and sit in 2 seats next to each other with your wife in tears. Someone who likes flying will take pity on her as they won't want to be sat next to her!

Good luck

Edited by Mysticalmother

Not sure I'd want to cause a stink at check-in? [emoji3] half the battle is done, since we are at least say next to each other. My wife has flown loads of times, but it never gets any easier for her. We've been to the Caribbean in the last two February's, but that's never been a problem on the wide-bodied planes, because they could be 3-5-3, something like that.

The flights are with Thomson or Thomas Cook and it's a charter, so P&O should be able to dictate seating. As you say, they can rearrange to suit operational requirements. I'm an ex aircraft engineer, so I know they can do this.

But I think these companies are just too big to care these days? To them, it's a minor thing, but to us, it's a big issue. I don't suppose others are any different, but I've been looking for a reason to try other cruise lines, and I think I've just found a reason.

I think this is very poor on the part of P&O. I am also a very nervous flyer, and my husband and I also always book an aisle and middle seat. I don't think sitting on the aisle would help in a real crisis, but I suffer anxiety when I feel "trapped" I find the aisle seat gives me the very much needed sense of free air.

Whilst I appreciate what P & O are trying to do, i.e keep seats in pairs, I think if you are willing to pay the cost of pre booking, and have a genuine need you should be able to do so.

This situation would be a deal breaker for me, i hope you are able to sort this out, i would not accept No as an answer. I am sure not everyone is travelling as a couple!

You are spot on Pink. The aisle won't help much in reality, but it helps to relieve the impression of being trapped. But the cruise is booked and there isn't a lot I can do. I've made a comment on their Twitter feed, but I don't know if they actually monitor it? But I will keep plugging away with them.

I sympathise too, my husband won't fly which is why we are limited to Southampton cruising and UK holidays. I find customer service on the ship from waiters, bar staff, reception very good but shoreside and things like the spas it seems there is plenty of room for improvement. Hope your flight is ok [emoji574]️

An update. P&O contacted me after I posted on their Twitter feed. They have sorted this out for us and we have our seats! Happy now.

Glad you got it sorted to your satisfaction in the end, it seems that you got a "jobsworth" when you first rang P&O customer service; which is a bit of an oxymoron in P&O's case.

An update. P&O contacted me after I posted on their Twitter feed. They have sorted this out for us and we have our seats! Happy now.

The power of social media ....glad it is sorted for you :-)

Just remember that you could end up with a completely different model of plane. This can happen due to all sorts of things, with us it was snow in January. People who had booked longer leg room seats found their seat numbers were not longer leg room. They got a refund but not the seats they wanted.

I agree that social media is a good way of making the cruise lines aware of something. We wrote to P&O with quite a serious complaint. After about 7 weeks there was no reply until I posted something on this site asking for an email address. A few days later a reply to our original letter arrived by post. A coincidence or not?

Thanks. All it needed was for someone to work through the problem. These are the little things (they can do) that mean a lot to customers.

Am really pleased for you. We got a 'jobs worth' re an issue in April who refused to budge for our TA. When I phoned I got someone completely different (much younger apparently) who listened and sorted it out.

The days of 'This is how it is, so like it or lump it' should be long gone as it does no one any good. Customers get stressed and walk away and P&O get a bad name.

Have a great cruise !