Carnival Triumph August 2015 5 day pre-review

3Pelicans

I have noticed that there are not a lot of recent meaty photo reviews of the Triumph and since this forum has been such a great tool for me I promise to fix that. We sail in 5 days and I promise to do a full review with lots of pictures when I return. If anyone wants a picture of anything specific or has a question for me to watch out for let me know!

A little background - we are a family of four. DH (44), DS (15), DS (14)w/Autism, and me (44). We will be flying from Midway/Chicago to Houston Hobby the morning of our cruise. I will be cranky as we will need to leave the house at around 4:30am. “insert image of me banging my head on the wall for not planning to fly in the day prior”. We arrive at Hobby at 9:30am and have purchased transfers through Carnival and have bought FTTF. I know some will say it’s not worth it as we might not get to the boat until noon. But I like the idea of having access to our rooms immediately. We cruised on Carnival once before and the special needs department assisted us with getting early access to the cabin, however we then had to visit their special needs desk and I think for all our sanity it will just be nicer to have the access and not have to make our DS listen to us explain why we need it.

We have two Empress Level Aft Balcony rooms (first balcony for us). We booked early saver many months ago and when a sale hit upgrading from two regular balconies to aft balconies only cost us $20 total so this seemed a no brainer over OBC. I have obsessively been watching Verizon Rewards and have picked up a nice amount of gift cards for our on board charges and we plan on purchasing Cheers. We have booked excursions through Carnival and are doing a Mayan Ruin tour in Progresso and the La Casa En La Playa Select Retreat in Cozumel. DH and I have pre-reserved our space at the Chefs Table since we are celebrating his birthday and our anniversary on the cruise and it sounded like a nice adult night.

Reasons why we selected Carnival. We do a family trip once a year, usually during summer vacation and have done Disney, an all inclusive, a road trip, Yellowstone, Universal, and a cruise. Price and dates were really the sellers on this one. Our oldest son decided he wanted to get in a class over summer (who volunteers for summer school?) so we really only had about 3 weeks to get a vacation in. I like having almost everything paid for in advance so either an all-inclusive or a cruise were what we were choosing from. The cruise, even with on board extras (booze, etc) and excursions was less expensive.

Please send me any of your questions or photo requests and I will do my best to post when I return! Thanks to everyone on here for your posts…this forum is great for planning!

I plan on seeing as many shows as possible...we loved the comedy club the last time we cruised and totally missed the piano bar so plan on doing that as well. I will make sure to comment on it when we get back.

Hi! I'm going on Triumph in 2-3 weeks. I'm interested to hear if you get to try the new American Table menu and how it is.

Also, I would love to see copies of the Funtimes for a 5-day sailing (although I know it may be too much of a hassle to scan and upload those), but just in case, I'm putting it out there. :)

Thanks! Can't wait to read your review!

Sharon

P.S. My favorite bar on Triumph is the Alchemy Bar! You might want to check it out!

Following this review, as we anticipate our cruise in Feb. Looking forward to pics-and everything Triumph! Thank you! We will have a balcony view on port side, wonder what we might see in port- but realize we won't know for sure until we get there, no biggie.... Our first back-to-back, very excited, even though Cozumel isn't new to us. This might be the most relaxing cruise of all, I can hardly wait!

Fun times!

I promise to save all my fun times and scan and post them. I have never written a review before on this but have on other sites for other vacations. I work in the hotel industry so I know how important reviews are (we literally read and respond to every tripadvisor review at my hotel). So I will do my absolute best. I am a Director of Marketing for a hotel so you will get a very honest review from someone how lives in the hospitality world.

I am personally looking most forward to the Chef's Table (it will be nice to be the guest and not the host) and to the Cozumel excursion (I picked that one).

4 day countdown has begun. I have set up our guest room for packing central since I am packing for all 4 of us:)

Keep the questions coming. I will do my very best to figure out answers and to take pictures. It will be like a one person scavenger hunt:)

We also had a hard time with our options in Progreso. It seems like a lot of cruisers don't really like the port. We decided on the Dzibilchaltun Ruins since they were not a long drive from the port and it's only a 4 hour excursion so if we wanted to either shop or stop by the beach after we could...or we may just go back to the boat and grab a mid-afternoon cocktail on the balcony. I also liked it because it has a Cenote so if its really hot we can jump in to cool off. I don't know if I would have chosen this if we have smaller kids though. My DS will at least try to be interested and I won't have to carry or push them.

We've sailed the Triumph once but it was back in 2010 so it's had some upgrades since then. We're looking at possibly cruising on her the end of next year (or possibly the beginning of 2017) after she's repositioned to NOLA. I look forward to seeing your review and hearing your thoughts.

Following! Looks like we will be heading to Illinois about the same time you are headed to Texas.:) We are heading up to Peoria in a few days for a family visit. We love the Triumph. Looking forward to your review and our upcoming cruise on her.

Looking forward to your review. We enjoyed both of our cruises on Triumph.

As far as FTTF and getting to the port around 12:30, I'd still consider it worth it. After a long flight and then the bus ride to Galveston, even getting into my cabin only an hour before everyone else would be a blessing.

Looking forward to your review. We're on the Triumph in October. Haven't been able to figure out from deck plans if there's a deck suitable for walking; not just the short track in the sports area where you have to go around so many times for the mile. Thanks.

Was on the Triumph - but many years ago - and going again in November - would love to know:

1) about the chef's table - and what the current menu is? (along with your 'experience' and review of course)

2) I believe there is no Serenity deck on the Triumph - but can you confirm that the aft pool is adults only? and if so what your experience there was (assuming you do try it out?)...is there a 'towel desk' there as they have on 'usual' Serenity deck? or do you have to bring your own towels? Was there lots of 'chair hogging' going on?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a fun cruise :)

Edited by Froufie

Following and looking forward to your review, if will be nice to hear a hospitality insiders perspective. We are taking out first cruise on the Triumph in June and am eager for any info & all pics. Enjoy!!!

I just booked the "Select Retreat" for La Casa En La Playa for my Victory cruise later this month, so I'm anxious to hear your review. Past reviews have mentioned two different locations.

I am really looking forward to it. I will definitely tell you what i find out. I am curious about the two sites too!

Hope you have a Great time and look forward to your review. We went on the Triumph 2013 it was the first cruise that my husband and I took alone. We usually have the kids and spouses and friends along. We will be going again August 24 and will be brining our granddaughter along. It will be the first time cruising with a baby, we started cursing when our youngest was five.