Help me decide!

cortneyward

We are currently booked on the Fascination for January but are hoping to gain custody of my stepson and will have to cancel/rebook for summer. The options are the Sunshine out of Charleston to the Bahamas or the Liberty out if Galveston to Mexico. Both are about the same distance from our home. I've been to Mexico, they haven't, but itinerary is not a huge deciding factor. The Sunshine is roughly $200 total more. Which would you suggest? It will be my DH and stepson's (age 7) first cruise!

Liberty is a fun ship. Not sure about the other one. The port area around the ship in Galveston is really neat with lots of shops and fun restaurants just a block away. Not sure about Charleston, but I've heard it is a really pretty city. Not sure if there is anything to do right at the ship though.

Out of those 2, I'd pick Liberty. The Sunshine is listed as a new ship on the Carnival site, but it used to be the Destiny until they modified it and refurbished it. All ships get good and bad reviews, but the Sunshine gets a disproportionate amount of terrible reviews. I've spoken to people that have been on it and said never again. Some people like it though. Personally, I would avoid it.

Edited by D4

I would ask what you plan to do once you arrive to your location? The Bahamas? Just Nassau? or Half Moon Cay, the beach that is true paradise? or are you into snorkeling-definitely Mexico-Mayan History? pyramids and ruins? Oh Mexico, Uxmal and Chichen Itza!

Beaches? Bahamas

History and excitement? Mexico

oh, and I would read the reviews, Liberty gets much better reviews. When you see that less than 70% of cruisers don't like a ship, that is a high amount of people who said, NO!

Thanks guys y'all really helped! I was leaning towards Sunshine only because it seemed like there was a little more to do but it seems the reviews don't always seem so positive. The itinerary really doesn't matter since I'm the only one that's ever been to either but we really want my stepson to experience something, not just a beach. He's all boy and loves anything with water and outdoors so I doubt it's an issue either place. Thanks again!

What I'm looking at is the SeaDogs, The comfort kitchen (where I was told I could get chicken fingers for lunch), the water works, sport square and Hasbro Game show. My stepson is a somewhat picky eater and I want to make sure there's plenty for him to do (never cruised with a kid so I'm clueless!). Can anyone tell me if these things are necessary/worth it?

I don't know what your custody situation is, but when one parent of a minor child is not on the cruise, you should have a notarized letter from the other parent giving permission to take the child out of the country. They may not ask you for it, but the child could be denied boarding if they want it and you don't have it.

I've read that some people in contentious divorces had to get a judge involved to coerce the other parent to sign the form.