Purchasing on board credit

Ozy71

If you have to cancel a cruise that you have purchased OBC for.

Do you get the purchased credit returned to you?

Yes you do.

When you cancel even if after final payment, you get everything back except the cabin fare paid (you do get cabin fare back if before final payment according to the cancellation schedule). You will get prepaid gratuities and taxes and fees etc. Any pre bought shore-excursions or drink package upgrades etc all refund.

If you are an international traveler and paid in a foreign currency, your refund will arrive based on the currency coversion of the day they refund it, not necessarily what it was when you paid - so be aware of losing money on the currency fluctuation.

If you are an international traveler and paid in a foreign currency, your refund will arrive based on the currency coversion of the day they refund it, not necessarily what it was when you paid - so be aware of losing money on the currency fluctuation.

This is not true. If you or Celebrity cancel anything, you do not have to cancel the cruise, you are refunded exactly what you paid. i.e. it is not affected by changes in exchange rate.

Only the price you are originally charged may be affected by fluctuating exchange rate. [i say "may" because Celebrity does not adjust its exchange rate used for pricing often.]

The only time refunds will be affected by the exchange rate changes is if you are purchasing your cruise in US$ and are not from the USA.

Edited by Project_gal

I had to cancel a cruise recently. I have since received the OBC refunded in full but am yet to receive the deposit I paid - wonder if this is normal?

Did you book in Australia? I understood that, like in the UK, deposits are not refundable in Australia.

I had to cancel a cruise recently. I have since received the OBC refunded in full but am yet to receive the deposit I paid - wonder if this is normal?

I think you will need to red your T&Cs and possibly claim off your insurance.

Did you book in Australia? I understood that, like in the UK, deposits are not refundable in Australia.

Deposits are fully refundable in Australia up to a certain date (in this instance it was fully refundable up to 4 months prior to sail date)