Anybody Get Cruise Withdrawals after Three Months??

shuttle-c

About how long does it take to get over the cruise withdrawals? If we don't get to go on a cruise (to anywhere) or have one booked every three months, it gets rough. Everyone one at work just keeps saying "You have another one booked".

Are we the only ones???

Wow. Only two things to say, with envey. 1) I wish my job paid more. and 2) that they would give me more time off!:eek:

Hehe, on the lighter side, I enjoy them more when they come around for now. I guess I had enough sea time in the 20 years sailing on ships painted "Haze Gray" with numbers painted on the bow. At least on HAL, all I have to worry about at sea is which bar I'm going to "Drop Anchor" in for my next beer!:)

For shuttle-c...

I posted this a few weeks ago on the NCL board...thought it might help you out a bit. Rest assured YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Enjoy! :)

In an effort to alleviate any Post Cruise maladies that you might have plagued you since your last cruise...I offer the following helpful remedies:

HOW TO COPE WITH THE AFTERMATH OF A CRUISE

(aka Combating PCD “Post Cruise Depression”)

My TOP TEN LIST…not in any particular PCD prevention order:

1. MAIL YOURSELF A POST CARD FROM THE SHIP OR A “PORT-OF-CALL” telling yourself what great fun you are having on your cruise. Depending on the length of your cruise, your post card may not arrive until well after your return home when it will be a gentle reminder of your “good times” at sea! Who knows, the postal greeting may be awaiting you when you return home…what better welcome could you get than some “happy cruise mail”!

2. LOOK TOWARD THE FUTURE…If you haven’t booked another cruise while you were on your cruise…begin researching immediately and get something booked. It is better to have the “cruise carrot” dangling before you, by having an actual cruise date planned, than to wander aimlessly through your days wondering when your next cruise will be.

3. REMEMBER THE PAST…If you are a member of Cruise Critics (of course you are…otherwise you wouldn’t be reading this), then either write a review of your cruise or answer questions presented by other members that pertain to the cruise you’ve just completed. In other words…share what you have learned…keep the experience alive!

4. ENJOY THE SWAY…As long as you can still feel the “ship” moving (even though you are now on land), you’ve gotten your “sea legs” and your body is still thinking it’s on a cruise. BE FOREWARNED…you’ll eventually get your “landlubber legs” back.

5. GET SOME “SEA” SOUNDS…If you’ve been fortunate enough to sail in a cabin with a balcony, you have no doubt, enjoyed the calming and relaxing sounds of the ocean waters as your ship cut through the waves. Go out and buy one of those “nature” tapes or CD’s that features “water” songs. I’ve always gotten my most restful night’s sleep on a ship with the balcony door open and listening to the surf. With the “water” CD, I can recreate that “music” as I drift off into a sea of sleep.

6. A PICTURE’S WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS…Hopefully you’ve taken lots of pictures of the ship and your cruise experience. Get those pictures developed A.S.A.P and put your scrapbook, photo album, or website together to share with yourself and others. Put a favorite picture in a special frame and put it in a place where you’ll see it often. (We bought a brass porthole mirror that actually opens and closes. We enlarged a favorite seascape picture that we took from the deck of the ship and placed it in the porthole, so that when we open the mirror, we see the seascape…it looks like we are looking out a ship’s cabin window!)

7. PUT OFF THE UNPACKING…It is one of the last things you do before you go on a cruise, so it should be one of the last things you do when you get home. If your suitcase is all packed you can literally go on a last minute cruise! Hey…you never know!

8. WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE “SHIP” MEAL? If it is something that you don’t normally have for dinner at home…why not make it? Or, if you are challenged like I am in the kitchen…find a restaurant that serves it and treat yourself to that special meal once in a while “on land”. (For me, it is Eggs Benedict in the morning, Beef Wellington, Beef Stroganoff, or Chateau Briande for dinner, and Chocolate Mousse or Crème Brulee for dessert. Last but not least are the Cold Fruit Soups you get on a ship as appetizers...hard to find in a cook book…even harder to find in a restaurant!)

9. LEARN TO MAKE TOWEL ANIMALS and treat yourself to a terrycloth creation now and again.

10. GOODNIGHT CHOCOLATES…buy a box of Andes Mints and put them on your pillow occasionally.

And for a “bonus” remedy:

11. “LOVE BOAT” RERUNS…or any “ship” movie can help ease your life on land. You can even find some books to read that are “set on the high seas”. Here’s a couple movie titles to get you started: “Out to Sea”, “Speed 2”, and of course, “Titanic”. As far as books go, I’ve only read one so far…”Murder She Wrote-Murder on the QE2”. I actually bought this one in the gift shop when we sailed on the QE2!

There are MANY, MANY more remedies to Post Cruise Depression…the above list is just the “tip of the iceberg”…something to get you started on the road to recovery!

Debjo

Wow. Only two things to say, with envey. 1) I wish my job paid more. and 2) that they would give me more time off!:eek:
Same here... :)

We are fortunate to cruise every six months. I find the best way to deal with post-cruise depression is to have two booked at one time. That way, when I leave one ship, I know that there is another waiting for me in six months.

Yet, this is not a perfect method. I go into serious cruise withdrawal for at least the first three months after a cruise. At that point, withdrawal begins to turn into anticipation as day-to-day planning kicks into high gear for the upcoming cruise. That is also about the time we book the cruise after that one.

2 more weeks I am on number 4. But number 5 is booked already. OOOOOOOOOh I need to look for number 1 again because 2006 is here soon.

When I prepay my taxes I book a cruise Addicted? Yes.

As long as I sail no matter where I am happy and sane.

We get to sail about twice per year, and feel very fortunate. It's been several years now that we've not had a time that a cruise was not coming up or a future cruise wasn't already booked. But I still get withdrawal symptoms after I'm back for a month or so. I'm ready to go again! But as Navy Chief alludes to, time and money stand in the way!

About how long does it take to get over the cruise withdrawals? If we don't get to go on a cruise (to anywhere) or have one booked every three months, it gets rough. Everyone one at work just keeps saying "You have another one booked".

Are we the only ones???

Yep, thats why my list shows multiple cruise's a year and as long as possible. In fact we will be sailing 2 weeks from today for 62 days. I hope that what the comedian on our last cruise said is not true. "A pound a day"!!!! I am already looking at the shore excursion's for next years cruise! My wife thinks I am nuts but she goes along for the ride:D

Great Ideas, Debjo - Thanks for listing them!

Cruise withdrawl?

I get it once across the gangway while schlepping the luggage into a taxi...

It's a comfort to know that the next one (or two) is already booked - helps ease the pain...

One of the worst parts of leaving the ship is missing the new friends that I met aboard ship - That's why its so important for me to stay in touch, chat w/ y'all on the boards and try to plan future vacations together.:)

Cruise withdrawl?

I get it once across the gangway while schlepping the luggage into a taxi...

Well said, Brian...and pretty much exactly what I was thinking. The OP is fortunate to get three months of peace before The Urge kicks in again! :)

Yep, thats why my list shows multiple cruise's a year and as long as possible. In fact we will be sailing 2 weeks from today for 62 days. I hope that what the comedian on our last cruise said is not true. "A pound a day"!!!! I am already looking at the shore excursion's for next years cruise! My wife thinks I am nuts but she goes along for the ride:D

Bruce if your wife thinks you are nuts then they better commit me. I got off the Zdam 9/10 and have the Maasdam May 27, 2006 and I have down loaded the menu and have already picked what I want for all my dinners. And I am checking on the excursions as well. We have been very fortunate these last couple of years and I hope when I retire next December it doesn't stop :o

Kathy

Well said, Brian...and pretty much exactly what I was thinking. The OP is fortunate to get three months of peace before The Urge kicks in again! :)

Ben!

You're looking faint!

It's time to book a cruise already!

;)

Next: Presently I'm a man without a booking, but the wheels are already in motion.

Ben, roll your wheels over the the CC-Group Cruise to Hawaii board and check out our rates! We've got a great group cruise for you and yours for October of 2006!

HAL Cruise Critics Cruise to Hawaii

or: http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=71

Aloha!

Get Lei'd in Hawaii on HAL-Cruise Critics Cruise! :D

hiban4.jpg

Yup, I think 3 months is about it between cruises for us. My 12 year old isn't quite as gung ho as we are so we alternate and do the 7 dayers with him and my husband and I do the shorter long weekend cruises without him.

Headed out on Celebrity Mercury 1 week from today and in the middle of planning our family Xmas cruise on Caribbean Princess. And, have HAL's Oosterdam booked for repositioining next April from San Diego to Vancouver, just husband and I. Then a big family cruise planned for Thanksgiving on Freedom of the Seas.

Boy, do I agree. I thought we were the only crazy ones....we actually got off the QM 2 last December and booked cruises for Sept(just back from Alaska), December (to Panama Canal), and again in May (right afterour daughter's wedding). I fuigured I'd better do the last one in May so the DW remembers not to blow all the dough on the wedding (Fat chance, right?).

Anyway, I am so nuts, I am now worried that I don't have anything after May 2006!

Stewart

Ben!

You're looking faint!

It's time to book a cruise already!

;)

Believe me, I'm feeling faint too...nevertheless, my Visa is grateful for the breather. After the enjoyment I had aboard Zuiderdam, I'm probably due for another credit-limit increase (what's the old saying about "enough rope to hang yourself"? :D ).

Ben, roll your wheels over the the CC-Group Cruise to Hawaii board and check out our rates! We've got a great group cruise for you and yours for October of 2006!

HAL Cruise Critics Cruise to Hawaii

or: http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=71

Aloha!

Get Lei'd in Hawaii on HAL-Cruise Critics Cruise! :D

hiban4.jpg

Oooooh, that does look like a good one! I'll be adding that to my "possibilities" list, although Brian's been working me over pretty well to join the Noordam inaugural...you guys are so good to feed my addiction this way! :)

Oooooh, that does look like a good one! I'll be adding that to my "possibilities" list, although Brian's been working me over pretty well to join the Noordam inaugural...you guys are so good to feed my addiction this way!

Do both ... I'm going to be on the Noordam Inaugural as well. The Noordam Inaugural in Feb 22nd. Hawaii is not until Oct 7. PLENTY of time! :D

I have decided not to seek a cure....I want to be addicted....I love cruising. All the previous notes are helpful, but I am easing one problem. I am going to work part-time. Unfortunately the position is due to Katrina and Rita. I'm supposed to start next week on a project involving inspections. This is a new "career" but the Tax season is too brief for funding my true love of life (after DH of course).

Note to Rev. Neal....Hawaii is sounding better and better. BTW we are hoping a dear friend joins us in February, she needs prayers that the decision can be made by the time final payment is due....Nov. 17th. Would appreciate your help. Ten days rest would do her much good. She has companioned so many through some very rough times.

Blessings,

Gail

Archived