Carnival Magic Ship Time

cravingacruise

It will be Central Time as galveston is central time. Carnival is not in the practice of changing the time of the ship to the ports' time when you arrive there. Therefore it's very important to wear a wrist watch, one that will not change times to accommodate the location you are in like your cell phone does. Because you may be in Cozumel, and it may be 4pm there but it may be 3 pm ship time or the other way around. People miss the ship this way.

Best to work out the ship time return to port with the person operating your excursion...before you leave the port! Most know when the ships, thus their revenue stream, come and go and will accommodate getting folks back in time.

Always go by ship's time. Remember, you cell phone will change time when you change time zone--so you must rely on some other time device, like an old wrist watch.

You can turn off the function on the phone that automatically changes the time.

While the cell phone thing & the "always go by ship time" thing is true, that advice doesn't help anyone who is needing to know what the time difference will be, in order to not miss their independent shore excursion in a port. Some tour operators get just as much (or more) business from people who fly in, so they might not make adjustments for cruisers. It's good to check with the tour operators to find out if they make the adjustments.

But in this particular case, cravingacruise, you don't need to give it any thought. The ship time will be equal to Grand Cayman time. Ship time will remain on Central Daylight Savings Time the whole trip. Your ports are actually in Eastern time, but they don't observe daylight savings, so at this time of year, their time is equal to Galveston. timeanddate.com is an excellent tool!

Edited by k2excursion

THANK YOU for all of the info! Very helpful! This is our first time cruising out of Galveston (and on the Magic), and we are quite excited about it! This cruise was a last-minute decision, and I am a bit fanatical about finding info on these boards. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond! Happy Cruising!

It depends on the time of year. We cruise in November after the end of daylight savings time. We have been told by our independent tour operator in Grand Cayman that GC is on Eastern time, and that the Magic will be on Central Time. Thus when our ship time is 7 am arrival, GC time will be 8 am. It is also a tender port. Our tour operator said there is no way we'd make an 8:30 am independent tour. Hope that helps.

If the ship is leaving at 5:00 pm then I would be back on the ship 45 minutes earlier. That's just me. A tender port can have very long lines waiting to get on a tender to go back to the ship. I have generally just stood in the line, but many just find a seat and when the line gets shorter then they join it. I believe if you are in the tender line they will not leave you. Tendering sometimes delays the ship leaving on time, but I wouldn't bank on that.

Carnival has always told us to stick to ship time and not the port time. We took a cruise to Hawaii and Alaska and we must have changed our watches 5 or 6 times between all the time changes we went through as the captain directed us to. Backwards and forwards , it got to be funny. You will love the Caymans, a clean island and the tour operators are pretty careful about your time and making sure you get back on time. I will say that since you have to tender as does everybody else the lines get very long and there isn't a lot of shade and it is hot. Have water and patience.