Advice for people in our mid 30s

cocacola86

One thing my DW was wondering is we're not fancy people and do you have to dress up at night, we don't wear suits or anything like that. So what is exactly is the dress code?

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you and your partner find Sammy's in Brantford to be your perfect type of restaurant (or Mandarin) and that you don't enjoy going into Toronto.

If i'm correct than chances are you won't really enjoy X. However, i'm sure anyone can find something to entertain themselves while aboard. X definitely isn't stodgy luxury, but it is more upscale than other lines. If you want to get drunk and play in the pool, you can definitely do that on X. If you want to relax in the sun, again you can do it. If you want to read in a coffee shop you can do it too.

If you're uncertain about the food (i.e.: you think it's 'rich people food') then you might have some issues in the MDR/speciality restaurants, but you definitely won't starve as they always have a basic steak and potato available. Of course the buffet is always available with their (awesome) pizza.

The dress code is smart casual; I often will wear jeans to dinner and never had complaints. For the formal night(s) you can get away with dress shirt and a tie with dress pants. Or go to the buffet, specialty restaurant or room service.

Dress is getting more casual. Jean's, shorts, and swim wear are not allowed in the MDR. Celebrity would prefer folks to dress a little better than business causal, but you don't have to dress like you're going to the ball. I, for example, like to wear a sports coat to dinner while on a cruise. On formal nights I might add a tie. My wife might wear a long skirt with a nice top. If you don't want to dress up then there's always the buffet. Also you won't have to dress up if you're eating in Blu.

Jeans are definitely acceptable in the MDR. I often wear them and never had issues. Granted I also wear $300 jeans, and sometimes with a jacket, but my point still stands.

Well my DW has anxiety, PTSD, depression and diabetes and I have bipolar. So naturally she gets nervous about the littlest things

I'm not sure if you are being serious, but Celebrity is a relaxing environment, and most of the passengers are reserved. I experienced more rude and arrogant people any given day on RCL, than a whole week on Celebrity. Ironic given that Celebrity is the more upscale line?

Anyways before you try Quantum, you better read the reviews! Stories of trash and filth building up in the common areas, overworked crew, and dining quality and chaos. It also sounds like they are relying on tech instead of staff to entertain, leading many bored passengers to fight over the pool.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

DH and I (no kids) started cruising in our mid-30's. We have now done 5 cruises on RCI and 2 on Celebrity and like both, for different reasons.

Depending on how many sea days, I really do like some of the extra activities, like mini golf and the flowrider. However, it doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for, so I think the X ships will be fine.

RCI has a much greater range of ages and a lot more kids. We have hardly ever seen a child on our X cruises (but one was 11 days and both were out of San Juan, so less children generally). X generally has an older crowd but we have noticed more and more people in their 30's and 40's- I think things like the drink packages are helping to change things. So, I think you will be fine here.

Food is subjective. My husband is rather picky but he always enjoys the food. We think the quality is quite good. I suggest that you search for the MDR menus and see if they suit you.

The buffet will have everything you could ever ask for at breakfast, from an eggs benedict station (is that too fancy?) to regular bacon, eggs, etc. The baked goods are amazing. Lunch will have a made-to-order sandwich bar, as well as a pasta bar and a whole bunch of regular buffet offering. At tea time, there are sandwiches, scones, and baked goods. At dinner, there is sushi and all the regular dinner offerings (I'm guessing it will be similar to Carnival). There is a great selection of scooped ice cream at one station.

The pool grill has great burgers and hot dogs. Cafe al Baccio has a great variety of treats. The room service menu is very "American"- again, you can search for pictures/menus on this site.

We find the entertainment a little limited/not our fave but the lounges and pool areas are lovely and many have great live music. We are quite happy to skip the show and sit in one of the lounges with a good cocktail and a band. They have also had some game shows, which we enjoy.

The art onboard rivals that of a gallery/museum and many ships have a self-guided tour.

I think you should give it a try and see what you think but, as others have said, there are a lot of great reviews/info on this site and your experience will differ depending on the ship and itinerary you choose.

Cheers,

As for dress code, when we were on the Millenium the maitre d' went around to the tables where people were dressed VERY casually (we had two young couples near us, probably in their 20s/30s) and reminded them that on formal nights that a jacket was required and no jeans would be allowed. Neither couple came for either formal night.

We didn't see this on the Summit but we had a large group with a table separate from the others, so I'm not sure what they were doing.

Celebrity is more formal than other lines. On formal night, I wear a long dress/skirt and DH wears a tux. On our last cruise, I would say it was about 30% tuxes, 40% suites, and 30% jackets/pants. If this isn't your cup of tea, you could ask the maitre' d what the formal night requirements are and if it is too formal for you, go to the buffet or have room service.

On regular days, I wear pants and a nice top or a sundress. DH wears khakis and a polo shirt. But we have seen lots of people more casual than this.

Cheers,

What Celebrity ship are you thinking of? We found the Summit/Millennium to be a lot like the Radiance Class ships in terms of size and layout.

We haven't sailed the larger X ships so we can't compare. We have been on sister ships to the Adventure (Navigator, Explorer) and liked them, though we liked the Freedom class better. Those southern itineraries can't be beat!

I suggest that you try RCI and if you like them, I bet you will like Celebrity too. We find them more similar than different in terms of cabins, decor, and menus.

We're going on Adventure out of San Juan, to all of the Dutch islands. I like having more ports than sea days.

We sail for ports ourselves, and think that variety is the spice of life. We're in our 30's too, and are even looking forward to sailing Holland America. We might be the youngest people on the ship, but the itineraries are A+.

We cruise carnival and celebrity. Carnival with kids and Celebrity without. We really enjoy the relaxing atmosphere. I'm 30 and my husband is 37. It's quiet and a little more upscale but I honestly find the people super welcoming and much less stuck up than some other lines I've tried.

Does the Summit sail out of PanAmerican port in SJ?

Yes, sailings on Summit that start and end in San Juan use Pan Am Pier.

Celebrity sailings that only make a call in San Juan dock in Old San Juan.

We're going on Adventure out of San Juan, to all of the Dutch islands. I like having more ports than sea days.

You may want to consider a walking tour of the old town in San Juan if you have time. The DW and I took "The Taste of Old San Juan" and truly enjoyed it.

TA cruises do you find younger people on there as well? Is it better to travel towards Europe or towards the States.

TA's do tend to skew a bit older I;ve found...

I'm 45, on my 1st transatlantic 3 years ago, I'd say about 50 people were under 45. Youngest I knew of was 27, but for the single child on the cruise who was 9 or so.

This year to rome, I'd say more like 30 were under 45.