Titles for Lounge Staff?

MarkBearSF

This is a question of "who to ask for?"

I'm leading a Roll Call for next spring. From discussions here, it's become very evident that an informal get together at the start of the cruise is preferable to a hosted Cunard event.

I'll be making a second home in the Commodore Club, and will also want to schedule the get together there on the first afternoon. Although it's not a formal reservation, I'd like to give a heads-up to the person managing the bar that a sizable group we'll gathering there at 2:00. (It looks to be an uncharacteristically large Roll Call owing to large numbers coming over from a Princess crossing)

On the afternoon before, what title should I use about when asking the name of the person in charge the following afternoon - is it the Head Bartender, Bar Manager...?

Or, knowing that "passing notes" is a time-honored tradition aboard, should I leave a note - and if so, how should I address it?

Since I'm expecting to spend most evenings there (and pre-dinner, and Friends of Dorothy....) I want to follow one of my rules of hospitality - make friends with the bartender and service staff!

Edited by MarkBearSF

When you say " the first afternoon" do you mean the day of embarkation or the the afternoon on the first day at sea.? ( hopefully you mean the day at sea as the day before is quite hectic )

As a courtesy you'll need to liaise with the Public Rooms Manager ( new title Manager Bars) You'll need to be flexible with your time and date of your meeting as an area of the Commodore Bar could be closed off for a private function ,e.g. Wedding reception etc. (We had that problem the other week)

To liase with the 'Manager Bars', you'll need to make an appointment at the Pursers desk, it's common courtesy just to quickly clear your meeting with him/her rather than just turning up unannounced as some people often do .

Hope all goes well for you.:)

Actually, I was planning on "turning up announced" and not liaising with the official reservation channels - as previous discussions indicated the spaces and times made available were problematic. Instead, it appears that the most successful approach is an unofficial meet up (typically 2:00 PM the first day at sea).

Instead, I'm hoping to let the people know who will be working on that at sea day to expect 20 or so people at that time. In that case, I'll want to talk to the people actually behind the bar, not a higher manager. Of a crew of, say 2 bartenders and 2 servers, who is the lead person. (Who might have the key to the liquor stores, handle issues...)?

I was anticipating a heads-up the afternoon of boarding and checking back an hour or so before on the day of.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Actually, I was planning on "turning up announced" and not liaising with the official reservation channels - as previous discussions indicated the spaces and times made available were problematic. Instead, it appears that the most successful approach is an unofficial meet up (typically 2:00 PM the first day at sea).

Instead, I'm hoping to let the people know who will be working on that at sea day to expect 20 or so people at that time. In that case, I'll want to talk to the people actually behind the bar, not a higher manager. Of a crew of, say 2 bartenders and 2 servers, who is the lead person. (Who might have the key to the liquor stores, handle issues...)?

I was anticipating a heads-up the afternoon of boarding and checking back an hour or so before on the day of.

Hello Mark, Probably not the same for you, but to give you an idea of how things work.

I arranged/ organised a total of six roll call meet & greets on QE in 2014 on her world cruise. I welcomed and greeted around 250 in total over the four month sailing.

Our meetings were held in the Commodore and we did them at 12-15 after the daily noon announcement. The reason for this time was that we meeting lasted 45 minutes ( some people stayed longer) which was enough time to go to lunch in the MDR. 2-0pm is the time classes and lectures commence again.

We met in the Commodore port side in the corner as you enter the room. We had as many as 50 at two of the meetings.

We had a member of the ships company turn up a couple of times and made a speech. The meeting was announced in the daily programme on the day of the meeting.

This was arranged by the Pursers office. I got in touch with my Cunard Wold Club Representative, in the Uk before we set sail and said I would be holding the meetings. They arranged for the Pursers office let them know about this and I gave them the times and dates for the daily programme.

I was offered help from the Pursers desk if I needed printing etc.

It was all very informal. No nibbles/ snacks or drinks are provided but if anyone wanted a drink waiters were there to serve you.

The whole thing was very easy no pressure , people either came or they didn't. I spent so time before departure making lists of who were coming on board at each world cruise segment, and I made name badges from Cruise Critic template and printed them off.

As I mentioned we had around 250 members of Cruise Critic turn up. No space was set aside and I arrived early along with a few other world cruisers and we arranged our space.

The Commodore is pretty empty at lunch time. Anyone sat where we all gathered decided to move across to the other side of the room if they did not want to hear our chatter. :) There was never a problem.

I wish you a good cruise and good luck with your get together. It should be fun. I made our meets fun so it broke the ice. No formality needed. Just get your guys to turn up. Have fun.

Edited by maggiemou
typo