RCCL vs NCL

Bb6224

Hey,

Looking for some advice....I'm a first time cruise goer. Need help decided between the two ships and cruise lines. This will be my honeymoon with my new wife next year in September. Just need the positives and negatives of each cruise line.

I'm willing to pay more. Just need extreme help here. The more information the better please. Also which one has cheaper excursions.

Thanks!

Bobby

Just noticed in your prior posts that your choices you are looking at:

NCCL Epic or RCCL Harmony.

Even though the Harmony is not available yet, we all know it is an Oasis Class ship.

If I had the choice between the two.....HANDS DOWN....The Harmony. Oasis Class ships are the best and biggest in the world. LOVED LOVED LOVED the Oasis and Allure and cannot wait to go on the Harmony.

Edited by champagne123
xxxxx

Just noticed in your prior posts that your choices you are looking at:

NCCL Epic or RCCL Harmony.

Even though the Harmony is not available yet, we all know it is an Oasis Class ship.

If I had the choice between the two.....HANDS DOWN....The Harmony. Oasis Class ships are the best and biggest in the world. LOVED LOVED LOVED the Oasis and Allure and cannot wait to go on the Harmony.

If the OP is indeed deciding between the Harmony and the Epic... I agree, Harmony wins HANDS DOWN.

I was on the Epic in 2013, and was just on the Oasis this past May. IMO, there was no competition. Oasis was an amazing ship and it was just an amazing cruise all around. Here's my summary of my Epic cruise: EHH.

Harmony would be available in 2016 when I would be sailing in sept.

Any pros and cons you can give me? Or possibly any tips.

Please and thank you!

Harmony does not exist yet.....will be sailing next year, so NO ONE can give their opinion. BUT.....it is the SISTER ship of the Oasis and Allure. Therefore....crazy, insane, best ship EVER. I personally CANNOT wait to sail on the Harmony. NCL......I have only sailed once. The Brand new Breakaway. Wonderful time. Wonderful ship....but does not even come CLOSE to the Oasis, Allure...and (coming soon) sister ship Harmony.

George can you tell me why you made that decision please?

I'm leaning towards RCCL anyways but need some positive reinforcement.

Thanks

We cruise a lot and I used to love NCL, did honeymoon on them and cruised them 13 times, but when started there free style dinning some 10 years ago, I thought food and service went totally downhill. But its been 10 years since last NCL but I will not cruise them again, too many other good lines out there.

Guest maddycat
RCCL is way better than NCL, NCL is only line I will never sail on again.

I feel the same way. IMO, MDR food, service and attitude of the crew on RCI is much better than on NCL.

Honestly, start first with Itinery. Does one ship have ports and schedule you prefer. One thing to keep in mind that Harmony will be a destination on to itself.

Harmony will be the biggest cruise ship, thus has more to offer. You will have more shows, more options in general. You will find unique thing like the central park or boardwalk. These extra's come at a price. RCCL prices have gone up quite a bit in the last year and if you are a drinker that adds up too.

I'm not sure what is you budget and what cabin class you are looking at.

As this is your honeymoon, let me put this idea for you. The Haven Suites on NCL(I haven't been on it) have been getting fantastic reviews and are considered really good value. You may find that a smaller Haven suite might not be that much more than a Balony on Harmony.

I think that for sure Harmonly as a ship will offer you more enterainment, but if you can get a Haven suite at a comparable price, I'd some more research

Here is my opinion. Have been on the Epic twice and my second cruise on the Getaway is in less than 3 weeks. We are doing the Getaway again mainly because this is our summer cruise with our daughter and grandsons. They are insane for the waterslides, spend all day on them. That being said, hubby and I were on the Allure a few months ago and I'm still in awe. There is nothing that can compare. To me it was like being in a 5 star hotel combined with a cruise. The entertainment alone was mind blowing and the magnificence of the ship took my breath away. I have the Oasis booked in October and the Harmony way out in January of 2017. It is an experience like no other. The food is comparable, of course the specialty restaurants are much better than the MDR and that is for either line. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise.

We are trying epic next year just to get a taste of something not royal. Well that was the plan until harmony was announced. So now we are doing both lol.

Unfortunately how it's worked out we are on harmony first which means we'll be stepping down size wise on to epic. But we are going to try and go on unbiased and give epic our best attention. It's 14 months away and I'm already excited. However if I had to choose one over the other in advance having not sailed on either I wouldn't hesitate to choose harmony.

The largest cruise ship in the world with two very successful older sisters or the marmite ship which people either love or hate.

Let us know which you decide. Either way a cruise is a special way to honeymoon .

Harmony would be available in 2016 when I would be sailing in sept.

Any pros and cons you can give me? Or possibly any tips.

Please and thank you!

This is just my opinion but I would NEVER sail the NCL Epic again. Opaque shower and toilet walls in the cabin. Sit on the bed and watch the silhouette of your new wife do "her business". Never again for me.

Edited by Out to sea!

I have never been on either of these ships but given that it's your honeymoon - I would not recommend Harmony, but a haven suite on epic.

There is ALOT to fit into the first week of married life - trying to also make sure you take full advantage of a ship that is designed so you NEVER have to set foot in your room Nx still not do it all doesn't seem to make sense - especially with a port intensive itinerary.

I am probably in agreement with all that say Harmony will be the best ship - but I don't think Epic Haven is a bad choice for a first time cruiser - on their honeymoon!

This is just my opinion but I would NEVER sail the NCL Epic again. Opaque shower and toilet walls in the cabin. Sit on the bed and watch the silhouette of your new wife do "her business". Never again for me.

My wife and I definitely wouldn't be offended or upset if we could see each other's silhouettes through a restroom wall in our private stateroom. Hell, at home we're often getting ready for work at the same time and both of us utilize the bathroom at the same time.

We have sex together, so I don't mind seeing my significant other use a restroom or shower. That said, I probably wouldn't just sit on the bed and watch her just because I could, but making that the reason I wouldn't cruise a certain ship? Never. Wouldn't ever cross my mind it was an issue.

Edited by TomAceEsq

My wife and I definitely wouldn't be offended or upset if we could see each other's silhouettes through a restroom wall in our private stateroom. Hell, at home we're often getting ready for work at the same time and both of us utilize the bathroom at the same time.

We have sex together, so I don't mind seeing my significant other use a restroom or shower. That said, I probably wouldn't just sit on the bed and watch her just because I could, but making that the reason I wouldn't cruise a certain ship? Never. Wouldn't ever cross my mind it was an issue.

Try staying in that room with 3 people...One being a 14 year old son.

Answering a couple of questions will make this easy...

1. Are you sailing for the ship or the ports? If it is the ship, sail the Harmony. If it the ports, sail the best itinerary/price.

2. Do you want to spend the money and sail in a suite? Then choose NCL and the Haven. Of all the standard cruise lines only MSC can compare with NCL's suite program. RCI plans suite upgrades, but I don't think their implementation date has been announced yet.

3. Do you want the option of traditional cruise dining? Then choose the Harmony.

I have sailed on the Epic twice and loved it -- both times in a suite. It is certainly a way to make a trip feel special. But, if you are sailing in a regular cabin and the price is about equal, I would lean towards the Harmony. Until RCI makes their suite program comparable to NCL's, I will only dream about sailing on their ships.

If you can afford the Haven then go for NCL Epic, hands down. Nothing Rccl has can compare to the Haven. Butler, Private pool, Private lounge, private restaurant. Concierge to make reservations or take care of any issues you have.

Especially a honeymoon when you really just want private personal time as a opposed to activities to do.

If Haven is out of your budget or you don't want a excusive area to get away from the masses. Go for Harmony she has so much to do.

We sailed Epic in a minisuite (not a real suite just a HUGE bathroom)and it was a good cruise but its not at the same level as Oasis or Allure both we sailed in a normal Balcony cabin.