Help! My child didn't grow as much as we thought we would!

[quote name='ShanteS']This!!! When the OP mentioned a booster for a 3 year old I immediately thought that was too young. I've been taking my daughter with me on cruises since she was a week shy of 2 so I've ALWAYS brought her carseat along. She'll be 4 on our cruise in 8 days but I'll still be bringing the carseat. I've always stored her carseat in one of the closets. [/QUOTE]

Yeah and I think it's not always immediately obvious why. After all, what does age have to do with it when the weight and height meet the restraint safety requirements? Booster seats are only equally as safe as a harness if the child sits properly in them. If they don't it becomes massively unsafe. Every kid is different but I know my 3 year old wouldn't be able to sit still in one and I can only imagine the safety issues that would arise as she worked her way out of the seat and distracted me while on a highway. And also, she's a big kid at 3 1/2 feet tall and 47 pounds (my husband is 6'4 and I'm 5'9 so she got the tall gene). But yeah, no way she could handle herself in a booster seat.

That said though, manufacturers really don't make it obvious. I've never actually seen a car seat box or manual explain that behavioral development should be considered. Most people get car seats that grow with the child, so they only read the manual for the current requirements (or just glance at the later requirements) and then when it's time to make a change what sticks out in your memory is the height and weight, which is what the emphasis is on for earlier years. It can be hard to remember all those small differences!

We're cruising with my 3 year old in a couple of months. Wish we didn't have to take her seat, but in case of an emergency I want it with us. Do you know if we have to carry it on or can we send it with out bags and it'll be delivered to the room?

[quote name='ShanteS']Also, I agree with strapping him into his carseat and then buckling the carseat in. It is really the safest option. Also, even with a cover for the carseat I wouldn't check it. They are so rough with the luggage and the carseat could be damaged.[/QUOTE]

Usually you can bring a car seat to the gate and they will check it when you get on the plane and then get off. I think they go in a different spot and since it's not going through the whole airport in series of transfers via people and machines, I think it's much less likely to get damaged.

[quote name='aflyingbuttress']Yeah and I think it's not always immediately obvious why. After all, what does age have to do with it when the weight and height meet the restraint safety requirements? Booster seats are only equally as safe as a harness if the child sits properly in them. If they don't it becomes massively unsafe. Every kid is different but I know my 3 year old wouldn't be able to sit still in one and I can only imagine the safety issues that would arise as she worked her way out of the seat and distracted me while on a highway. And also, she's a big kid at 3 1/2 feet tall and 47 pounds (my husband is 6'4 and I'm 5'9 so she got the tall gene). But yeah, no way she could handle herself in a booster seat.

That said though, manufacturers really don't make it obvious. I've never actually seen a car seat box or manual explain that behavioral development should be considered. Most people get car seats that grow with the child, so they only read the manual for the current requirements (or just glance at the later requirements) and then when it's time to make a change what sticks out in your memory is the height and weight, which is what the emphasis is on for earlier years. It can be hard to remember all those small differences!

We're cruising with my 3 year old in a couple of months. Wish we didn't have to take her seat, but in case of an emergency I want it with us. Do you know if we have to carry it on or can we send it with out bags and it'll be delivered to the room?

Usually you can bring a car seat to the gate and they will check it when you get on the plane and then get off. I think they go in a different spot and since it's not going through the whole airport in series of transfers via people and machines, I think it's much less likely to get damaged.[/QUOTE]

Definitely!!! It's hard to keep up with it all. LOL My mother and grandmother HATE my daughters huge bulky carseat and the fact that I carry it EVERYWHERE and have pleaded for a booster seat for her. I refuse though because not only is she tiny (30 lbs) I know she won't sit right/well in it. I'd feel much better knowing that she's protected from every angle with her carseat.

And you can give the porters the carseat with your luggage and it'll make it to your cabin just fine. Last year I did that for the first time and it arrived without a scratch on it.

As far as gate checking the carseat I never considered it because I prefer for my daughter to sit in it on the plane but it is a great option. The only thing I gate check is her umbrella stroller and I have a cover for that. I cringe whenever I see someone checking a carseat at curbside with the rest of their luggage. Now that she's 4 though I could gate check the carseat as well as the stroller. It would prevent her from kicking the seat in front of her (even though we try to have a family member sit in front of her seat to avoid disturbing other passengers).

[quote name='ShanteS']
As far as gate checking the carseat I never considered it because I prefer for my daughter to sit in it on the plane but it is a great option. The only thing I gate check is her umbrella stroller and I have a cover for that. I cringe whenever I see someone checking a carseat at curbside with the rest of their luggage. Now that she's 4 though I could gate check the carseat as well as the stroller. It would prevent her from kicking the seat in front of her (even though we try to have a family member sit in front of her seat to avoid disturbing other passengers).[/QUOTE]

Oh, of course! We have actually avoided flying because I don't want to deal with bringing her seat on the plane and for some reason I completely forgot that I'd be doing that and not checking it. See, those details! lol

[quote name='loubetti']A lot of good suggestions above, and if you DO board with your car seat and the suggestions above don't quite work, there is one solution I know that will.

STORE IT IN THE SHOWER!

In the morning take it out a put it on the bed while everyone showers, then put it back in. Let the cabin steward know what you are doing. Yeah, perhaps a bit of a hassle, but it WILL work.

Good luck with whatever you do.[/QUOTE]

Genius!