Help! My child didn't grow as much as we thought we would!

We're flying to Tampa on Wed and are renting a car for 5 days before boarding the Paradise. We had planned on bringing a booster seat for our 3 yr old, where the back comes off, and we could store back and seat under the bed.

But, the little guy hasn't grown enough! He still needs a car seat with a harness.

We are going to bring ours. So, the question is, where do we keep it while in an OV on the Paradise (Fantasy class ship).

PS. There will be 5 of us in the cabin :eek:

PPS. We won't consider renting a car seat with the rental car.

Why won't you consider renting a car equipped with a seat? Are you bent on using your own or something? And if that's the case what will you do in ports where a car seat at all will basically not be an option?

With 5 in one cabin storage will be limited. Perhaps in the closet. I doubt you could fit it under the bed. Not sure if the Paradise has those hideous boxes in the corner for storing life jackets. If so, maybe on top of that. Or sit the seat in it and put the life jackets on top. That's all I've got. Good luck!

Your only choice is in the closet. There will not be any other space and I think it will be a big annoyance. I understand why you don't want to rent a car seat but I would consider it and Lysol it down real good. Or buy a cheap one to take with you and leave it when you are done with it. But I don't think cheap and car seat go together!

It will fit in one of the closets but will obviously take up much needed space. Use under the beds to store your suitcases and try to pack light (easier said then done, I know)! You can do laundry on the ship.

I bet if you check with the pursers office they can find a place to store it. They used to have lock-boxes (jewelry,etc) for what you did not want to store in your room, maybe if nice they would store in for you?

Check with the state (Fla?) and see the exact requirements for your child. It may be different from your state.... just to make sure what you are required to have.

Also see what is is going to cost to "check" the seat for your flight to cruise/back home. It might be cheaper to add that seat to the rental than check it.

Edited by bobsfamily

Not sure which ship you are sailing - but maybe try the "cubbie" space where the garbage can goes under the counter??

If you have that space and if the car seat fits - you could move the garbage can under the chair and not lose valuable closet or floor space with the car seat being out of the way. ;)

I bet if you check with the pursers office they can find a place to store it. They used to have lock-boxes (jewelry,etc) for what you did not want to store in your room, maybe if nice they would store in for you?

Check with the state (Fla?) and see the exact requirements for your child. It may be different from your state.... just to make sure what you are required to have.

Also see what is is going to cost to "check" the seat for your flight to cruise/back home. It might be cheaper to add that seat to the rental than check it.

Not a bad idea either..... ;)

There are many reasons not to trust a rented or used car seat. I know our state has far more stringent requirements for car seat safety. Florida not as many. Once a car seat has been in an accident, it is compromised and no longer safe to be used. If rented, you have no idea if it's been involved in an accident, and the rental agency I'm sure doesn't track that. I'd feel far safer bringing my own. It's not about meeting the minimum requirements of the law, it's about my child's safety.

There are many reasons not to trust a rented or used car seat. I know our state has far more stringent requirements for car seat safety. Florida not as many. Once a car seat has been in an accident, it is compromised and no longer safe to be used. If rented, you have no idea if it's been involved in an accident, and the rental agency I'm sure doesn't track that. I'd feel far safer bringing my own. It's not about meeting the minimum requirements of the law, it's about my child's safety.

What are the odds? Anyhow, they've opted to cram 5 in a cabin, bring a car seat. They'll figure it out when they get on board.

I don't have an answer for this one. I agree that it will be crowded with 5 people, so contacting Carnival to see if they can store it is definitely worth the effort. If you don't ask the answer is always no.

The original poster asked if we knew where the car seat could be stored. We shouldn't be questioning the decision to bring their own car seat. There are many valid reasons to do that. When my daughter was young I was forced to become an expert on car seats. She was exceptionally tall and weighed more than most seats were rated.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that you do not use a used car seat. You should never use a car seat that's been in an accident. If the OP's child is tall, the top of the straps in a rental may be well below the child's shoulders. How would you know the weight rating of a rented seat? How would you know the history of the seat? The OP is being cautious and that's the right approach.

Good luck with the seat. Enjoy your cruise. Your child will love Camp Carnival.

Yeah but you are renting a car and you really don't know its history either.

FYI, airlines let you check a car seat for free.

I too, bet you could just store it on top of the "corner box", or even inside it? In any case, just ask your cabin steward if there is a place they could store it for you, and if not, as noted above, ask the guest services desk. Git-r-done. ;)

"SKY"

I wouldn't rent a car seat, you never know how they are cared for, the history, or if it will even be the correct seat for the child. We are cruising in September with our 2.5 year old, she sits in the car seat on the plane (it makes flying so much better, since she is used to being in her car seat!), then we have it for our rental from Fll to Mia, and we will just store it in the closet on the cruise.

A lot of good suggestions above, and if you DO board with your car seat and the suggestions above don't quite work, there is one solution I know that will.

STORE IT IN THE SHOWER!

In the morning take it out a put it on the bed while everyone showers, then put it back in. Let the cabin steward know what you are doing. Yeah, perhaps a bit of a hassle, but it WILL work.

Good luck with whatever you do.

There should be room to store it in the cabin with no problem, don't sweat this. If need be take it apart and put it in an empty suitcase under the bed.

I would discount the suggestions to store anything under the beds, car seat, luggage, anything!

Doing so will insure that if there are any bed bugs present, you'll likely wind up bringing some home with you, UGH!

Just avoid that possibility, however slim, but not putting anything under the beds.