Text on the Dream

Joie

I don't need Internet service, but would like to text home and receive texts.

How would I go about setting this up and how would my phone need to be set in settings so I do not incur any phone call charges?

I have Verizon service

I dont have the answer to this BUT I have T-Mobile and plan to call them to find out their policy for cruising. I know many carriers have certain restrictions or will require that you are on WIFI for their service to work in the open ocean with no cell tower easy to ping...they would rely on satellite pinging. My kids phones I am thinking to place on airplane mode and buy the internet package as they should still be able to text only me that way without huge roaming charges. But again, I am calling T Mobile next week to confirm for my trip on the 23rd

Good luck!

I don't need Internet service, but would like to text home and receive texts.

How would I go about setting this up and how would my phone need to be set in settings so I do not incur any phone call charges?

I have Verizon service

First off Verizon has recently brought back the global data package that includes cruise ships again. I know you said you don't want data but please listen to what $25 dollar plan includes. It includes 100 MB of data(on the ship and in port) and 100 minutes, 100 sent texts and unlimited received texts.

*Overages: $25 per 100 MB, 25¢ per minute, 25¢ per text sent

Option two: Is pay as you go. Text Messaging are 50¢/message sent

5¢/message received. $2.05/MB (If you send a picture text you might get charged for data upload). $1.79/min for voice.

Source: http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/international-travel/

Option three: Depending on your cruise date, you can get a new social media internet plan on the ship for $5 a day. This will let you use I-Message, or facebook chat.

Hope that helps :)

Does the Dream offer the new internet packages? I know you said you didn't want internet, but since they have offered the social media package I have always felt the cheapest way to reach those at home is with Facebook/facebook messenger through the social media internet package.

At least that way if you are friends with people back home on Facebook you could send them a Facebook message similar to a text!

First off Verizon has recently brought back the global data package that includes cruise ships again. I know you said you don't want data but please listen to what $25 dollar plan includes. It includes 100 MB of data(on the ship and in port) and 100 minutes, 100 sent texts and unlimited received texts.

*Overages: $25 per 100 MB, 25¢ per minute, 25¢ per text sent

Option two: Is pay as you go. Text Messaging are 50¢/message sent

5¢/message received. $2.05/MB (If you send a picture text you might get charged for data upload). $1.79/min for voice.

Source: http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/international-travel/

Option three: Depending on your cruise date, you can get a new social media internet plan on the ship for $5 a day. This will let you use I-Message, or facebook chat.

Hope that helps :)

Point of clarification. It's an extra 15 dollars on top of the 25 dollars for 100 minutes, 100 sent text and unlimited received text.